Entry level trap shot gun recommendation ?

The worst is talking to someone who is new, and week 1 they nod over and over as you explain why they should try a bunch before buying. Then week 2 they show up with a $3400 gun that they bought that afternoon and talk about how they actually went to buy XYZ but it wasn't in stock at Kittery so they bought this instead. Cut to 6 months later and you can't remember exactly when they stopped coming by to shoot.

I've experienced that almost exact scenario in both pistol and rifle shooting with new guys. They went out and spent a ton of money on stuff they really didn't need and expected it to make them a great shooter. Then they found out how difficult it actually was to put the bullet where they wanted and all their high-dollar equipment didn't make much of a difference. Then we never saw them again.

I've experienced that almost exact scenario in both pistol and rifle shooting with new guys. They went out and spent a ton of money on stuff they really didn't need and expected it to make them a great shooter. Then they found out how difficult it actually was to put the bullet where they wanted and all their high-dollar equipment didn't make much of a difference. Then we never saw them again.
It always feels more urgent when you are just starting.

I have offered to bring 2 guns and I will shoot the cheap one and still they insist on shelling out big money.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Oh man. Don't even get me started on the "operators". Jeeeezus Christ. Seen a kid show up to the plate shoots with about $5k -$6 worth of gear. STI steelmaster 9mm......magnetic hold holster (we don't even allow holster draw for our plate shoots) belt held about 10 mags.......go pro on his head to record the "action"....../linked to his iPhone that he placed on the deck in front of him so he could be sure the go pro was aligned. I saw him approach my line and said to myself "wow this kids gonna be awesome"......shooter load and make ready........shooter ready.....stand by
.....beep.....miss miss hit miss miss hit.......look down and the timer says 12 seconds.[rolleyes] I'm not making this up.

Wow some of the people in this thread need to get over themselves. Whether or not you shoot a $ gun or a $$$$ gun does it really matter. The person buying the gun may want a gun with a nicer finish just like those who drive a 100K Mercedes over a shitbox people buy what they like. Regardless how they shoot do you have such low self esteem because you use your 30 year old pump with electrical tape holding the stock together and you outscore them do you feel better.

Most people I see shoot have a grin from ear to ear there are a few competitive types striving for perfection but at the end of the day the guy with the money gun hitting under twenty, smoking a big fat cigar, laughing, smiling, joking and just having a great time is having a better shoot than the guy hitting 25 while biting his lip.

I'd rather date a model than Rosie O'Donnell so I will shoot a pretty gun over a shitbox anyday. I'm a skeet shooter and pretty good too with both a pump and a O/U.

Wow some of the people in this thread need to get over themselves. Whether or not you shoot a $ gun or a $$$$ gun does it really matter. The person buying the gun may want a gun with a nicer finish just like those who drive a 100K Mercedes over a shitbox people buy what they like. Regardless how they shoot do you have such low self esteem because you use your 30 year old pump with electrical tape holding the stock together and you outscore them do you feel better.

Most people I see shoot have a grin from ear to ear there are a few competitive types striving for perfection but at the end of the day the guy with the money gun hitting under twenty, smoking a big fat cigar, laughing, smiling, joking and just having a great time is having a better shoot than the guy hitting 25 while biting his lip.

I'd rather date a model than Rosie O'Donnell so I will shoot a pretty gun over a shitbox anyday. I'm a skeet shooter and pretty good too with both a pump and a O/U.

Yes....in fact I do enjoy putting up a better score with my bread and butter hunting irons than the guy with a $5k piece of furniture. I'm competitive by nature. Im a guy....I have balls not a vagina......its normal.

Shooting well with "average" or "working class" guns is enjoyable and affordable.
I can run 25 straight with my 870 express and my best is 99 straight...looking that last bird to nerves and "thinking".
Now when I finally bought my Browning trap gun.
Several things happened. Do to a more up right stance from the higher comb. The recoil pad not digging into me (left hand shooter) and being able to just shoot much more comfortable and what felt with what seemed less "work at it" was worth saving up for the up grade. Sadly though I posted more 99s still loosing birds to nerves or over thinking.
Like any sport there are some things that can work well in many situations. More often though the right equipment and skill will do well.

Yes....in fact I do enjoy putting up a better score with my bread and butter hunting irons than the guy with a $5k piece of furniture. I'm competitive by nature. Im a guy....I have balls not a vagina......its normal.

Oh, so I guess that's not you in your avatar. [laugh]

Thanks for making my point. An off the shelf 870 or Mossberg is not going to make for a good fit, so how many beginners would continue to shoot week after week getting slapped in the face in addition to a bruised shoulder?

As for the guy that can hit a gnat in the ass at 200 yards with a 12 gauge, there is always an exception in life for just about any rule.

Oh, so I guess that's not you in your avatar. [laugh]

Um.....no. [smile]

MY point was not how awesome someone can shoot with low-budget equipment.
It was new people not listening to the experienced guys and spending a ton of money before they knew what to buy.

MY point was not how awesome someone can shoot with low-budget equipment.
It was new people not listening to the experienced guys and spending a ton of money before they knew what to buy.

And an important point it is. It bears repeating that most of the time everyone wants newbies to do well and enjoy the sport that the regulars are partaking in. Different people may give a different spin on what newbies should do but its usually all out of the place of wanting them to have a successful start.

And an important point it is. It bears repeating that most of the time everyone wants newbies to do well and enjoy the sport that the regulars are partaking in. Different people may give a different spin on what newbies should do but its usually all out of the place of wanting them to have a successful start.

Newbie to do list

Go to trap range
announce you want to shoot trap
remove wallet pay for rounds and ammo borrow any and as many guns as possible.
Many clubs have loaner guns also.

Since we're taking trap/skeet, any thoughts on this stuff for sale at Dicks this week.

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/...lls-15remagnclb20g75xamo/15remagnclb20g75xamo

That looks like a pretty decent price to me. Chances are none of the locations in MA actually have more than one or two boxes in stock, though. I've never found Dick's in either Framingham or Northborough to stock much in bulk.

I've got a flat of Gun Club #8's that I've been saving for sporting clays, but go for the 1-1/8 oz #7-1/2's for trap if you can find them. You can use #8's for trap, but personally I'd rather save them for skeet or sporting clays unless your club has a shot size restriction. I think Hopkinton requires #8 or smaller.

What is said below...

Go to a club and try some to see what you like...

I started shooting Trap with a $100 break open, single barrel, 12 Gauge... It worked fine, when I got Crazy for Trap I bought a Remington 11-87 Premier Trap with a 30" barrel...

If you decide to buy a gun for Trap buy one of the Major Companies (like Remington) Trap Gun... You will Thank Yourself...

I looked this up so you can see what the 11-87 PT is:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remington-Premier-Trap-Ga/2467372.uts

12 ga.

One that fits you.

If you don't know what fits you, go to your Club and tell the Trapezoids that you want to play. You'll likely be given several to try. The one that feels best will likely be the best one for you.

I prefer a semi-auto. Lots of people go O/U. Pumps work.

it's all about fit. NO fit, NO hit.

You're in Eastern Mass. Come out to Southborough Rod and Gun this Thursday (6-9 PM), and you can try a few.

www.southboroughrodandgun.com

Others' opinions are not relevant. Just what works for you. If it's entry level, then what's "right" may change between now, and when it's Trap For Real. [laugh]

Try a Remington 1100 Competition model, it fits me better than my $3,000 Browning Citori 725 trap model does.......

This right here. It's entirely about what fits you. If a Remington 870 is what fits you, then don't listen to anyone who might try to gun shame you. Just go shoot a 25 with it and they will shut up fast.

Go see your local trap guys and most of them will happily lend you their gun to try. Or come see us out at SRG if it's not too far and MisterHappy can take care of you. I'm usually there for trap as well and you're welcome to try whatever I've got with me.

I am a Lefty.

You can also get the stock that comes on the 1100 compentition synthetic and it will fit on a 870

http://www.jackweststocks.com/index_files/Product_List.htm

I'm a Lefty also, I love my Remington 11-87 Premier Trap, it has a Monte Carlo Stock on it...

I like the idea of that Jack West stock, to be adjustable like that is sweet...

I just wish he had it in wood...

I'd hate to stick a black stock on my Sweet Heart...

I'm a Lefty also, I love my Remington 11-87 Premier Trap, it has a Monte Carlo Stock on it...

I like the idea of that Jack West stock, to be adjustable like that is sweet...

I just wish he had it in wood...

I'd hate to stick a black stock on my Sweet Heart...

Well you can always pay to get the stock cut and modified.

It could cost twice as much as the plastic stock because it is being done just for you by a gunsmith/stockfitter but it would be your pretty wood with enhanced capabilities.

It's something I have considered a lot but always concluded it's more an "I want" than "I need" so I haven't done it yet.

No experience personally with this place but others on the forum have spoke well of them.

http://www.rustbluing.com/servicesrices.html

That looks like a pretty decent price to me. Chances are none of the locations in MA actually have more than one or two boxes in stock, though. I've never found Dick's in either Framingham or Northborough to stock much in bulk.

I've got a flat of Gun Club #8's that I've been saving for sporting clays, but go for the 1-1/8 oz #7-1/2's for trap if you can find them. You can use #8's for trap, but personally I'd rather save them for skeet or sporting clays unless your club has a shot size restriction. I think Hopkinton requires #8 or smaller.

You can check availability at a certain store at the link that was posted. Quantity as well.

Thanks guys,,, I actually picked up 10 boxes last night of 20G #8 for sporting clays. My local Dicks was stocked pretty good.

Gonna try them out today if the weather holds.

Well you can always pay to get the stock cut and modified.

It could cost twice as much as the plastic stock because it is being done just for you by a gunsmith/stockfitter but it would be your pretty wood with enhanced capabilities.

It's something I have considered a lot but always concluded it's more an "I want" than "I need" so I haven't done it yet.

No experience personally with this place but others on the forum have spoke well of them.

http://www.rustbluing.com/servicesrices.html

You can get a Jack west stock set up for recoil reduction also. Ken can also add a comb kit and recoil reducer to just about anything.
http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com/2010/11/good-news-for-gas-gun-crowd.html

Just for fun. Now if all trap rounds moved along quickly

Last edited by a moderator:
You can check availability at a certain store at the link that was posted. Quantity as well.

For Dick's specifically, don't trust that. I've tried that road before and when I got to the store it was always "Yeah, we don't have that." Typically what they have on the shelves behind the counter is about all they have. I've sent the kid to the back a few times to look for more and they never find much of anything. Occasionally you get a gem, like the time he found a couple bricks of .22lr, but usually they come back empty handed.

I use these exclusively for trap now.. have found to be the most consistent store bought target loads and my scores got better and average higher with these. I was originally shooting the Winchester white box same size due to cheap price. I have a reload setup and will be eventually doing that as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Federal-Ammunition-12-Gauge-3-DRAM-100ct/17757345

This is what I always buy at Wally's in NH...$21.74 and no sales tax. I had a problem with some boxes several years ago with 4 rounds that must have had hard primers, at least that is what I think was wrong with them. I contacted Federal and they asked me to mail the lot numbers and the 4 rounds to them, which I did. Federal never told me what was wrong with them, but they shipped a new 100-count box. I haven't had a problem with them since, so I'm thinking it was a bad batch.

This is what I always buy at Wally's in NH...$21.74 and no sales tax. I had a problem with some boxes several years ago with 4 rounds that must have had hard primers, at least that is what I think was wrong with them. I contacted Federal and they asked me to mail the lot numbers and the 4 rounds to them, which I did. Federal never told me what was wrong with them, but they shipped a new 100-count box. I haven't had a problem with them since, so I'm thinking it was a bad batch.

when i first started I bought 1k rounds of the Winchester white box target.. what I was noticing was that the shells you could shake and hear they weren't packed well and often times some powder or shot inside the box that had fallen out the small hole where they crimp it shut. No surprise I was more inconsistant with these as a result.. so if its not a reload by me its Federal. I would have no problem using the Winchester AA's but the cost is higher on those.

A few people at my club that use pump guns hate Rio, I'm told the don't always cycle well due to swelling hulls. YMMV.....

Yup, I've had a few of the Rio blue steel rounds either not fit in the chamber or refuse to come back out. The hulls are cheap, and you can reload them, but there are far better hull options for reloading.

Back
Top Bottom