Embarrassing gun owner moments

Recently I was travelling for work. I arrived at my destination airport, grabbed my luggage and headed off to the bathroom to load my gun and mags. I placed my luggage on the toilet seat and started loading my mags. A cartridge slips and begins to fall. In my mind I can picture the cartridge rolling by someone's pants in one of the stalls next to me.

"Tink! Tink! Splunk!"

Good:
The cartridge isn't by someone's foot.
The toilet has been flushing constantly, triggerred by my luggage on the seat

Bad:
The round is sitting in the toilet bowl.
The toilet is not one of those low water volume ones

I manually flush to get rid of the round and it disappears...and a few seconds later rolls back.
What to do? My options are limited.

I finish loading mags and gun, gather all my things.
Mentally I prepare myself for what has to happen next.

3...2...1...flush!!!
I jam my hand in the toilet bowl with splashing water hitting halfway up my elbow. The round disappears and as the bowl starts to fill up it rolls back into my awaiting fingers.

I cannot believe I stuck my un-gloved hand into an airport toilet.

always assume the slater position--even when not poopin'. this tragedy could have been prevented. you should know better--you did the graphic!

Very early in my shooting career, I zeroed an Aimpoint while it was on the rifle backwards. On the highest intensity setting, the dot is visible and within the adjustment margin of the center, so...

That sucks man.

I'd have to say my most embarrassing gun owner moment was actually a period of time, the summer of 2009 - attempting to conceal a full size gun with an OWB holster and a t-shirt. This was shortly after I got my license and bought my first holster, which was actually designed for a different gun (but still fit mine). Clearly I didn't know shit about shit at this time and I was doing it wrong (one of the reasons I'm grateful for NES, as I've come a long way since then). It must have looked like I had a cinder block strapped on to my belt. I made Joe Tactical look like James Bond. Never again.

At the same time, ~4 months like that and no one ever said anything - including cops that I'd see in public. People are friggin' oblivious.

See now, if you had a pair of surgical gloves in your tactical first aid kit on your tactical belt holding up your tactical pants, this never would have happened. [wink]

Wait... was it a .40?

At a dentist appointment over the summer, I was lazy and threw my spare magazine into the pocket of my cargo shorts.
Needless to say, when the hygienist leaned the seat back the mag fell out of my pocket and went skittering across the floor.

I "think" I got it before she realized what it was. She didn't say anything but I still wonder if she noticed.

The only activities that are appropriate for a bathroom is crappin', pissin' and washin'. If more politicians, celebrities and apparently now gun owners paid heed to that, far fewer embarrassing moments would be broadcast on the internet for all to snark at.

I would have told her, with a smile on my face, "you dropped it in, you go fish for it or flush it down." [smile]

I'd have dumped a bunch of TP into the bowl and repeated if necessary.

My DIL dropped her diamond ring in the bowl after she dumped into it but realized it before she flushed.

Guess what I had to do.

I dont want to admit mine, but I will. While shooting my new mosin nagant for the first time, one of the shooters asked for a break in the shooting (I think something had blown into the firing line, cant remember).

Any way, I said sure, but mentioned that my rifle was still loaded and it would take a second to unload. He responded with "Its a mosin, just pull the bolt out"... So, having a brain fart, I said, "Dude, its loaded, I need to pull the trigger to remove the bolt". His response (with a somewhat confused face) was "Ah, rifle cant fire with the bolt open."

My response... "Of course it can, what are you an idiot!"

As soon as the words left my mouth, I realized it was by far one of the dumbest things I could have said. We both had a good laugh about it afterwords.

I remember the story of a gun owner who put a trigger lock on a lever-action rifle...

Sent from my way-too-expensive cell phone using Tapatalk. Please excuse spelling errors and missing links.

I once wasted two entire boxes of Federal GMM .308 trying to zero my Savage FP10 without realizing the hardware on the scope was actually loose- pox on me for trusting the guy that owned the rifle previously to tighten the hardware down. At least back then the stuff was only $15 a box.

There's also another epic story on here where, many years ago, I accidentally dropped a box of 10mm reloads inside a gun store and some guy in the back of the store almost shit his pants.... because yes, kids, one of them went off. I'll repost it if anyone wants to hear the details, but going to run now... [laugh]

-Mike

While at Sig Academy taking a snubby revolver course, the instructor was creating a simulated stress situation in order to get us use to reloading under difficult conditions. It worked. I found myself trying to stuff 38 specials into the FRONT of the cylinder!

I dropped my cellphone and credit card in a work toilet and my hand was in and out of there before I even thought about it! Oh but a bullett I'd just cover that with toilet paper and jeep flushing or just abandon it lol

Roll up a bunch of TP and flush again, that will send it to a crapy place.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

I once wasted two entire boxes of Federal GMM .308 trying to zero my Savage FP10 without realizing the hardware on the scope was actually loose- pox on me for trusting the guy that owned the rifle previously to tighten the hardware down. At least back then the stuff was only $15 a box.

There's also another epic story on here where, many years ago, I accidentally dropped a box of 10mm reloads inside a gun store and some guy in the back of the store almost shit his pants.... because yes, kids, one of them went off. I'll repost it if anyone wants to hear the details, but going to run now... [laugh]

-Mike

I definitely want to hear details, mainly about how a round goes off by dropping it. Something pointy on the floor that it landed on just right?

Drove 45min to the public range. Paid my fee. Got all set up on the bench to test some reloads. Waited until the cease-fire and set up my chrono. Realized I left the rifle's bolt on the work bench at home[crying].

Back
Top Bottom