• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Educate me on 20" AR15s

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
I have this barrel waiting to be built into an upper. It's $40 less now than what I paid for it.

Chamber .223 Wylde
Gas System Rifle Length
Length 18"
Material Stainless Steel, Type 416R, Barrel Grade
Muzzle Threads None
Profile Fluted
Rifling 1:8, RH, Six Groove, Precision Button Rifling
Weight 39.7 oz.
I have a wilson arms 18” heavy barrel was going to be a 77-80 grain varmint set up. I have yet to “ varmint” with it.
Shoots 77s great 80s need some development

Does anyone still make an A2 upper 20” fixed handle?
Model1 will do one for you....
uh20gpb.gif

I have this barrel waiting to be built into an upper. It's $40 less now than what I paid for it.

Chamber .223 Wylde
Gas System Rifle Length
Length 18"
Material Stainless Steel, Type 416R, Barrel Grade
Muzzle Threads None
Profile Fluted
Rifling 1:8, RH, Six Groove, Precision Button Rifling
Weight 39.7 oz.

Are you going to build it yourself or have someone do it for you?

Detach carry handle is fine gives you both options
Oh it works fine, I just have plenty other flat tops for other purposes. Eventually I want a carry handle with tear drop forward assist, it’s basically a clone build, plastic triangular foregrip, etc. I hope to make it a wall hanger.

Are you going to build it yourself or have someone do it for you?

Myself. I won't say building an upper is always easy because you don't always know what you don't know but in principle building an upper with high quality parts really is easy.

I'm a big fan of the Aero Precision M4E1 uppers as they allow you to accurately torque their proprietary barrel nut without any concerns for gas tube alignment. It's a stronger upper with the barrel attachment thread where it should be imho as a mechanical engineer.

This is the plan for this upper:
Wilson Combat 18" Barrel
Wilson Combat Gas Block & Rifle Length Gas Tube
Aero Precision Enhanced Upper
Toolcraft Nickel Boron BCG
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle
Aero Precision M-LOK 12" Gen 2 Handguard
SWFA SS 3-15x42 Optic
Atlas Bipod

When I get to a free state I'll mate this upper to a Aero Precision lower with a Wilson Combat drop-in trigger group and Ace Skeleton stock with a 1" buttpad. This is more or less my ideal rifle.

Oh it works fine, I just have plenty other flat tops for other purposes. Eventually I want a carry handle with tear drop forward assist, it’s basically a clone build, plastic triangular foregrip, etc. I hope to make it a wall hanger.

I just put a set of the Brownells retro triangular hand guards on mine.
Very happy with it as I always preferred them over the round ones on rifle length.

Myself. I won't say building an upper is always easy because you don't always know what you don't know but in principle building an upper with high quality parts really is easy.

I'm a big fan of the Aero Precision M4E1 uppers as they allow you to accurately torque their proprietary barrel nut without any concerns for gas tube alignment. It's a stronger upper with the barrel attachment thread where it should be imho as a mechanical engineer.

This is the plan for this upper:
Wilson Combat 18" Barrel
Wilson Combat Gas Block & Rifle Length Gas Tube
Aero Precision Enhanced Upper
Toolcraft Nickel Boron BCG
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle
Aero Precision M-LOK 12" Gen 2 Handguard
SWFA SS 3-15x42 Optic
Atlas Bipod

When I get to a free state I'll mate this upper to a Aero Precision lower with a Wilson Combat drop-in trigger group and Ace Skeleton stock with a 1" buttpad. This is more or less my ideal rifle.

I would love to do that. But I do know what I don't know. My mechanical skills just barely reach (low) average. But, who knows what skills I might pick up after I finally retire and can do more fun things. Good luck, I'd love to see the final product.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom