• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

e-FA10. It's officially a mess!

I wonder how many transfers we'd have to do to actually break the system. If 20 of us got together and transferred 20 guns 8 times over the NYE weekend with each gun getting back to its original owner by (math math math... bah!) a bajillion different 8 person paths, would that tie them up for a week? A month? It's only 160 transfers, but with 80 of them having one date, and 80 having another date, untangling them could take a long time.

Yeah, this is the type of protesting I like.

PM me if this materializes please.

What would really make it "interesting" is if the 2012 batch happened on Dec. 30, but were mailed on Jan. 7th, and the 2013 batch happened on Jan. 1 and were mailed Jan. 2.

Actually, I bet fewer guns hitting more people is more confusing than lots of guns.

I'm totally into using up all four of 2012's transfers for a gig like this, somewhat less excited about using up all of 2013's, so I might be in for only six.

We should do it on printed versions of the PDF provided by the FRB. Then they'd have to process them all twice.

I wonder if they'd get confused when all the dates are the same.

Let alone when the serial numbers are all the same.

Then again, it would use up forms, and also give them more justification for the electronic system.

I say do it all electronically, that way everyone can do it from home. Just set up the order of purchasing, and the "hand-off" to the next user ahead of time.

SO, nobody has answered the question of who is running the Firearms Records Bureau now that the former head has left. Would it be possible to eliminate this law and that entire branch of government right now, before they fill the position? Isn't there a hiring freeze at the state right now? When the house of representatives reconvenes in January, this should be the first order of business. Where is GOAL these days? Their absence on NES, and in the entire legislative process this year, other than Jon, is leaving a giant void.

Last edited:
SO, nobody has answered the question of who is running the Firearms Records Bureau now that the former head has left. Would it be possible to eliminate this law and that entire branch of government right now, before they fill the position? Isn't there a hiring freeze at the state right now? When the house of representatives reconvenes in January, this should be the first order of business. Where is GOAL these days? Their absence on NES, and in the entire legislative process this year, other than Jon, is leaving a giant void.

The head of Highway Safety is looking for a new job. Just saying.

Excellent Len, at least someone here makes sense... seems 90% of what I read in this thread is spunk spit out of someone's mouth via their keyboard..

Happy Thanksgiving to all

The question has to be asked . . . "what paper FA-10s?" If someone called FRB and asked if the photocopied or PDF "paper FA-10s" were accepted they would be told NO and they mean it.

Everything hinges on HOW you ask the question and to whom!

I can also believe that individual employees in that department may be putting their own spin on it, as they really don't have the people-power anymore to manually scan forms in. I know that this doesn't garner any sympathy from this crowd, but I point it out because it might indeed taint the view of the employee who answers that question for anyone who calls them.

Let alone when the serial numbers are all the same.

Then again, it would use up forms, and also give them more justification for the electronic system.

Huh? No, it'd show that there's still a need for the paper forms.

I say do it all electronically, that way everyone can do it from home. Just set up the order of purchasing, and the "hand-off" to the next user ahead of time.

If you do it electronically, nobody at the FRB notices, 'cuz... you know, computers. Plus, each one will have a timestamp, so the order would be obvious.

The beauty of the paper forms is that they'd all have the same date (and serial number, and a lot of recurring names/LTC numbers)

So far a person to person deal, I need to bring my computer and do an eFA10? Or do I desperately need to find a paper form?

So far a person to person deal, I need to bring my computer and do an eFA10? Or do I desperately need to find a paper form?

If it were me, I'd print up the official PDF provided by the FRB, and send it in.

The'll send it back, telling you that it was rejected, with an official serialized paper FA10.

At that point you have two options:

1) Fill out the official serialized version and send it in (I'm not sure what to do about the other signature)

or

2) Do nothing. You've notified the state on a state provided form. Their rejection is proof they received it.

I *think* only the seller will get the form sent back, and not the buyer, so as a buyer it probably doesn't matter as much. I'm not too sure about that though.

Also, 1 more thing I would like to point out that I remember Mike/drgrant saying a while back. A lot of people were never hoarding forms. I remember just by myself I did at least 5 or 6 karma threads where I gave away like 100 FA-10 forms. I bet Guida failed to miss that though.

- - - Updated - - -

They make them so difficult to get, whenever I could get them, I was passing them out to everyone on here. Mailing them to people who PM'd me asking for some, etc etc.

That's their job, not mine. I took it upon myself though to help the community, because the state/FRB can't be bothered. With them, it's all a damn conspiracy.

No, he didn't fail to miss your and other's posts doing this. That is what got him pissed off and why he made the decision he did.

Len, those karma's were in the members forum Jason is a member here?

Do gun stores have any paper FA10's?

I should clarify: Some PDs still have FA10s. The Waltham PD has some, but I don't know how stingy they're being with them. They might give them out only to Waltham residents. I didn't ask.

The FRB is *supposed* to send PDs paper forms. You might have to call them several times to get them to do it, and it might be tricky to get your local PD to admit they have them.

Len, those karma's were in the members forum Jason is a member here?

Don't know. I never asked him. Folks also asked for forms in non-members forums and others answered that they had them and would mail them, as well.

Jason has a new career, so it wouldn't surprise me if he joined up and posted nothing, just for the intel now that he's supposedly on our side.

Where are these located? I have yet to find an actual link that works.

The FRB is no longer accepting the printed PDF forms, so they took it off their website.

However, one might argue that a form downloaded from the FRB's website counts as "provided by", and use it anyway.

It'll almost certainly get rejected and sent back to the seller with an official paper FA10. What you do then is up to you.

If you're really hard up and can't get an official serialized paper form from your local PD (they should be able to give you a couple) there's always this:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/FA10.pdf

I've done it on an iPhone. Just save the PDF, email it to yourself and print for your records.

I have a paper FA-10, but then I'd have to buy a pen, envelope and stamps to use it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I've done it on an iPhone. Just save the PDF, email it to yourself and print for your records.

I have a paper FA-10, but then I'd have to buy a pen, envelope and stamps to use it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Hahaha, That's a good one...Thanks. I guess I could do that if I had to, so far, I've been able to come up with my laptop and a connection...

Who knows how many, what type, and the location of the weapons their local police (taxpayer owned!) at any given time?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander?

For many of us the FRB does not know that about us. If you purchased guns in ma before a record of a transfer was required or if, like me, you moved into MA with previously owned firearms, the FRB has no idea what you own.

I had E-FA-10 **** up on me with a known legit license the other day. (It refused to accept the buyer's info and it wouldn't proceed, despite the fact the info was printed properly on the license itself!!!)

So I've witnessed it firsthand- there are cases where the paper is the only way to go. It was a good thing we had it.

-Mike

GOAL,
No updates since June 9th, 2011?! Here's an update from my perspective. The paper forms are unobtanium. The non-serialized F-10's are being rejected. Why does this system exist, how was it paid for, and where are the paper forms? Your silence on this and many other issues has been deafening. PS- I gave your membership dues to Comm2A this year. If you want them back next year, get to work.

June 9, 2011

GOAL has received confirmation that paper FA10 forms will still be available and accepted.

The confirmation was a letter sent to us from Jason Guida, Director of the Firearms Records Bureau.

Click Here to view the letter

GOAL will continue to work with both the FRB and our legislators in resolving the issues with the e-version of this, see below for more information.

We will update as information develops.

http://www.goal.org/newspages/FA10report.html

Glide, there's no new info on this, the system is broken, they have made it increasingly more difficult to get paper forms and legislators on oversight have been asked to look into the matter.

It's one of many things that need to be addressed and will be when the legislature returns in January.

I think that many on NES forget that fighting MA in regards to gun law issues is like playing a mega marathon session of whack a mole.

Taking your quarters and going home will most definitely not help though.

There's an awful lot of high and mighty opinions here (NES) about GOAL lately. There are a LOT of wrongs in this state to right, and GOAL has what, 4 employees? Then there's matter of the intransigent legislature. Change is hard. It requires education, constant advocacy, and time. Sometimes lawyers (that's where other groups like Comm2A come in).

GOAL can't wave some magic wand and make everything better.

If GOAL can't or won't do anything about it, then why are they promising actions and updates on their website?

This is not about changing a law. It's about getting all lawful gun owners in MA access to a friggin piece of paper!

If GOAL can't or won't do anything about it, then why are they promising actions and updates on their website?

This is not about changing a law. It's about getting all lawful gun owners in MA access to a friggin piece of paper!

This reads like you think it’s GOAL's fault the paper FA10s aren't available anymore. You can’t possibly believe that, because that would make you a total idiot, and we know you’re not one.

So, What’re you doing about it?

I’ve written letters to my elected officials asking them to pressure the FRB to make them available. I’ve called the FRB and asked them to send some to my local PD.

That hasn’t worked so far, but I’m pretty sure it's not my fault the forms aren’t available.

This reads like you think it’s GOAL's fault the paper FA10s aren't available anymore. You can’t possibly believe that, because that would make you a total idiot, and we know you’re not one.

So, What’re you doing about it?

I’ve written letters to my elected officials asking them to pressure the FRB to make them available. I’ve called the FRB and asked them to send some to my local PD.

That hasn’t worked so far, but I’m pretty sure it's not my fault the forms aren’t available.

It is (partially) their fault. They are a lobby organization that people give dues to in order to handle this nonsense.

And if they plan to do nothing, why are they making statements to the contrary and collecting membership dues?

They can't have it both ways.

Back
Top Bottom