Duncan vs. Becarra (CA magazine ban case) -- Judge is awesome

Nah, they're gonna fight this one, I can see it now. Mag restrictions is one of their core policies. We aren't talking about some silly zoning issue preventing any gun shops from opening in a big dump city or something. They will die on this hill now because they won't expect the USSC to take another gun case for awhile.

While this ruling is great for us and we need more like it, I don't expect the 9th circus to let it stand.

Look how the left is responding to the NYC carry case:
To protect public safety, fix this NYPD gun regulation now
It’s true that allowing New York City residents to transport guns outside the city would entail certain public safety risks, even if the practice was regulated. But with the gun violence epidemic increasing in the United States, our communities simply cannot withstand newfound constitutional protections for violent “good guys with a gun." Now is the time for the NYPD to step up and protect all Americans by repealing NYC’s gun transport ordinance.

They don't want local cases getting to SCotUS and tearing down their national strategy.

One need only look to the Virginia Tech shooting. Weren’t those neutered mags? 9mm and a .22? Or maybe a combo of 10 and 15 rounders? No AR. The only reason why some of the mass shootings involved ARs is because of the tactical look. Nothing more.

While I fully support civilian ownership of modern sporting rifles w/ standard (30) round mag capacity, let’s be honest about it: If you were planning a mass shooting and didn’t care about making it out alive, which firearm would you choose? I know which one I would and why and it wouldn’t be a 9mm handgun.

I can't wait for all these bullshit laws to come tumbling down. maybe in 30 yrs [rofl] or maybe not at all but I can dream ..damn it

I think Judge Benitez systematically tearing down the blue skies of the anti-2A talking points makes this decision second in popularity only to Heller. He was born in La Habana, Cuba in 1950 and no doubt he’s one of the old school Cubans who know what the Castro doctrine leads to.

In other news, we got some badasses over here: upload_2019-3-30_22-18-8.png

The case still has the chance of going to the 9th circuit and that's when all the fun happens and the smiles turned to frowns. The funny thing is even if the entire SCOTUS including Ginsburg went before the 9th circuit and scolded them and told them to straighten up and write good decision, they wouldn't...because liberals.

Maybe I missed it in this thread already, but, does this in any way help our cause here in mass? Or is the main reason it was possible in CA is because of the violation of the 4th in confiscating the mags?

I understand Ca has dealt with different laws than our own, but can this be used to our advantage at some point here in the Commonwealth?

Maybe I missed it in this thread already, but, does this in any way help our cause here in mass? Or is the main reason it was possible in CA is because of the violation of the 4th in confiscating the mags?

I understand Ca has dealt with different laws than our own, but can this be used to our advantage at some point here in the Commonwealth?

This is one of those threads where you want to read every post. It’s one of the good ones. Someone addressed it, I can’t rememver who.

This is great news, but it looks like it would still take a Supreme Court case to bring this result to MA I think.

They will appeal this and the 9th circuit will shoot it down, possibly tomorrow? Sooner rather than later.

If someone drops a house on Maura and we can get our ban over turned, let's hope these guys will sell to us: From Calguns:

ONLINE SPREADSHEET OF VENDORS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing (updated 6:44pm Saturday 30 March 2019) <--- this version is locked for editing by me
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing <--- anyone can edit this version

Will Sell
- Arizona Response Systems (AZ Surprise) <--- will sell per their online post
- Arms Unlimited (NV Las Vegas) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order; company confirmed on CalGuns they would sell
- Big Tex Outdoors (TX Conroe) <--- will sell per owner's notes in Google Spreadsheet
- Charlie Cooper's (CO Parker) <--- will sell per their Facebook post
- Gillio Firearms (CA Ventura) <--- will sell per owner's notes in Google Spreadsheet
- Grab A Gun (TX Coppell) <--- they posted a new policy saying that CA sales are good to go
- Gunfighter Tactical (CA San Diego) <--- CalGunner confirmed they would sell
- Jestice Arms (TN Colonial Heights) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order, shipping confirmation received (note: website is buggy)
- Lee's Mags (SD New Underwood) <--- will sell, but liability/burden is on the buyer
- Palmetto State Armory (SC Columbia) <--- they posted a new policy saying that CA sales are good to go
- Rainier Arms (WA Auburn) <--- will sell per their Instagram post
- RTG Parts (WY Sheridan) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order; received confirmation email
- Sacramento Black Rifle (CA Citrus Heights) <--- first come first serve (Facebook post deleted)
- Skid Tactical (TX Houston) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order; store said they would honor, but website is offline until Monday
- Tombstone Tactical (AZ Phoenix) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order and got order confirmation; however, vendor states they're having distribution issues and could take 10 days to ship
- UG Imports (CA Fremont) <--- in-person, cash sales only per their CalGuns posting

Waiting/To Be Determined e.g. 1. Vendor isn't actually canceling orders but is still reviewing with their legal council, 2. Order went through but no confirmation yet received, 3. Some vague "Stand by for updates", etc
- 2nd Amendment Guns (NV Las Vegas) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order, but no shipping confirmation yet
- Arms of America (CO Cascade) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order, but no shipping confirmation yet
- Csspecs LLC (Unknown) <--- reviewing policy per the owner's notes on Google Spreadsheet
- Discount Gun Mart (CA San Diego) <--- reviewing policy
- Elite Tactical Systems (IN South Bend) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order
- LaRue Tactical (TX Leander) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order, but no shipping confirmation yet
- MTG Firearms (CA Elk Grove) <--- reviewing policy per their Facebook post
- Primary Arms (TX Houston) <--- orders on hold; reviewing policy
- Rifle Gear (CA Fountain Valley) <--- CalGunners successfully placed orders, but store now saying they're on hold while reviewing policy

No e.g. 1. Literally cannot place an order (the system won't let you), 2. CalGunner called the store and the vendor said outright that they're not going to ship to California, 3. Vendor updated their website with some sort of notice/policy saying they wouldn't ship to California, etc
- Brownell's (IA Grinnell) <--- cannot submit order to CA zip codes
- Buds Gun Shop (KY Lexington) <--- updated their website; not shipping to CA
- Bullseye Sport (CA Riverside) <--- confirmed by CalGunner
- Cheaper Than Dirt (TX Fort Worth) <--- cannot submit order to CA zip codes
- Greg Cote LLC (FL St John's) <--- CalGunner's order was canceled
- Gun Range, The (CA North Highlands) <--- LEO sales only; confirmed by CalGunner
- Kriss USA (VA Chesapeake) <--- cannot order
- MidwayUSA (MO Columbia) <--- cannot submit order to CA zip codes
- Prepper Gun Shop (ND Grand Forks) <--- will honor previous orders, but no longer taking new orders

does this in any way help our cause here in mass
Indirectly.

1. It makes passage of no grandfather confiscation in the DPRM lest likely.

2. It makes pro-magazine (and indirectly pro-AW) court decisions less "unthinkable". When all courts across the country are universally applying the "cuz guns" doctrine, new cases are brought before courts that do not want to be the first to refuse to go along to get along.

Last edited:
If someone drops a house on Maura and we can get our ban over turned, let's hope these guys will sell to us: From Calguns:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing (updated 6:44pm Saturday 30 March 2019) <--- this version is locked for editing by me
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing <--- anyone can edit this version

Will Sell
- Arms Unlimited (NV Las Vegas) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order; company confirmed on CalGuns they would sell
- Big Tex Outdoors (TX Conroe) <--- will sell per owner's notes in Google Spreadsheet
- Gillio Firearms (CA Ventura) <--- will sell per owner's notes in Google Spreadsheet
- Grab A Gun (TX Coppell) <--- they posted a new policy saying that CA sales are good to go
- Jestice Arms (TN Colonial Heights) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order, shipping confirmation received (note: website is buggy)
- Lee's Mags (SD New Underwood) <--- will sell, but liability/burden is on the buyer
- Palmetto State Armory (SC Columbia) <--- they posted a new policy saying that CA sales are good to go
- RTG Parts (WY Sheridan) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order; received confirmation email
- Sacramento Black Rifle (CA Citrus Heights) <--- first come first serve (Facebook post deleted)
- Skid Tactical (TX Houston) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order; store said they would honor, but website is offline until Monday
- Tombstone Tactical (AZ Phoenix) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order and got order confirmation; however, vendor states they're having distribution issues and could take 10 days to ship
- UG Imports (CA Fremont) <--- in-person, cash sales only per their CalGuns posting

Waiting/To Be Determined e.g. 1. Vendor isn't actually canceling orders but is still reviewing with their legal council, 2. Order went through but no confirmation yet received, 3. Some vague "Stand by for updates", etc
- 2nd Amendment Guns (NV Las Vegas) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order, but no shipping confirmation yet
- Arms of America (CO Cascade) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order, but no shipping confirmation yet
- Csspecs LLC (Unknown) <--- reviewing policy per the owner's notes on Google Spreadsheet
- Elite Tactical Systems (IN South Bend) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order
- LaRue Tactical (TX Leander) <--- CalGunner successfully placed order, but no shipping confirmation yet
- Rifle Gear (CA Fountain Valley) <--- CalGunners successfully placed orders, but store now saying they're on hold while reviewing policy

No e.g. 1. Literally cannot place an order (the system won't let you), 2. CalGunner called the store and the vendor said outright that they're not going to ship to California, 3. Vendor updated their website with some sort of notice/policy saying they wouldn't ship to California, etc
- Gun Range, The (CA North Highlands) <--- LEO sales only; confirmed by CalGunner
- Prepper Gun Shop (ND Grand Forks) <--- will honor previous orders, but no longer taking new orders
Crazy to me that Palmetto State Armory is on that list when we can even buy clothing or holsters from them.

Crazy to me that Palmetto State Armory is on that list when we can even buy clothing or holsters from them.
I Know….. They knuckled under quickly to Maura. Coincidently it was a day maybe two before her re-interpretation that I ordered from them. That was probably the last thing they ever shipped to MA.

Indirectly.

1. It makes passage of no grandfather confiscation in the DPRM lest likely.

2. It makes pro-magazine (and indirectly pro-AW) court decisions less "unthinkable". When all courts across the country are universally applying the "cuz guns" doctrine, new cases are brought before courts that do not want to be the first to refuse to go along to get along.

Does this mean the "cuz guns" argument is watered down a little?

What about California's "bullet button"? Is that somehow related to magazine capacity?

I Know….. They knuckled under quickly to Maura. Coincidently it was a day maybe two before her re-interpretation that I ordered from them. That was probably the last thing they ever shipped to MA.

Guessing the potential size of the CA market makes it worth their time & effort while the size of the MA market makes it easy to just write off.

What about California's "bullet button"? Is that somehow related to magazine capacity?
An AR that required depressing the mag release with a tool (bullet) was not an AW at first; CA reacted swiftly to tighten the noose.

Guessing the potential size of the CA market makes it worth their time & effort while the size of the MA market makes it easy to just write off.

Yeah they just opened a market that is likely to buy out every standard cap magazine that any of these retailers has in stock this weekend, and the whole thing is rubber stamped by a federal court. MA has an AG threatening these groups and we don't have a court smacking her down to point at.

I read some but not all of the decision, It appears this ruling was decided on the grounds that the Second Amendment protects the right to possess Standard Capacity Magazines (or as Antis refer to them, High Capacity Magazines).

Will Sell

Update for your listings......GunmagWarehouse and Primary Arms are now shipping standard capacity mags to California. Got email notices from both a short while ago.

This is a big deal. The decision is notable because it does what most courts do when evaluating the potential infringement of a fundamental right: It placed the burden on the government to demonstrate that the law is both necessary and likely to be successful in achieving its objective. As basic as this should be, Second Amendment challenges are rarely evaluated according to these standards.

It's only a district court decision, but it's strong and it will be harder for the 9th circuit to undo than most of the very few decision we see in our favor. Still, this will go on for years before it becomes final. Expect at least one trip back to the 9th circuit for both panel and en banc rounds. But, by doing his due diligence, the judge here has made it that much difficult for California to bring a cogent appeal.

I also think the plaintiffs were smart to sever the magazine capacity issue from the AWB issue. They're lumped together from a legislative perspective, but they are very different when you want to try to knock them down.

Look how the left is responding to the NYC carry case:
To protect public safety, fix this NYPD gun regulation now

They don't want local cases getting to SCotUS and tearing down their national strategy.

This isn't news, when krispy kreme was NJ gov a lot of posession cases got tossed. (some of this was because he was pondering running for president, but i strongly believe that he got presure from anti gun groups ).... Same thing in NYC with that lady at the 911 memorial. The antis are scared of creating another Heller vs DC type of deal because they realize they f***ed that one up by not mooting the cases.....

Will Sell

What about Target Sports USA? lol

Back
Top Bottom