• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Duncan vs. Becarra (CA magazine ban case) -- Judge is awesome

Steven Stamboulieh (sdslaw.us) is a pro-2A attorney that is constantly fighting for our rights in NFA and NICS cases. He posted a thread over on arf yesterday (NoloContendere) where he purchased and posted the transcript of the Duncan vs. Becarra magazine ban case over in CA. This wasn't his case, but the comments and line of questioning by the judge are just awesome. The full transcript of the case is long (125 pages) and is found at
View: https://www.scribd.com/document/379996641/Duncan-v-Becerra-3-17-cv-01017-Oral-Argument

The guys on arf have been combing it and posting highlights, and it's worth reading for sure. I will link to that thread instead of copy/pasting everything.

Worth a read -- Duncan v. Becerra (CA Magazine ban case) - oral argument transcript - Awesome judge questions! - AR15.COM

Do not be mislead. We at Comm2A have had hearings before judges who were very intelligent, asked all the right questions to fully understand the issue and our argument, and then issued a "because guns" decision.
This is a miserable place for us. Is there any hope here at all? I think we've taken way more L's than W's due to judges and politicians being so unreasonable. What gives...

Do not be mislead. We at Comm2A have had hearings before judges who were very intelligent, asked all the right questions to fully understand the issue and our argument, and then issued a "because guns" decision.

He basically says that he doen't want to be the judge that swims upstream and that he doesn't want the Appeals Court to sandblast him. I think he makes it pretty clear where he stands, and that he sees the incremental usurpation of rights by the state; the whittling away of the second amendment. However, I think he also makes it clear that he's not likely going to rock the boat.

Also, the Attorney General's office of the State of California is on the record admitting to the "slippery slope" that all gun control laws imply.

"THE COURT: SO IN ESSENCE, WHAT HAPPENED WAS IN 2000PEOPLE WERE ESSENTIALLY MISLEAD INTO SUPPORTING A LAWTHATLATER ON, A FEWYEARS LATER, THE STATE WOULD SAY, WELL, NOWWEGOT THIS PASSED, THIS IS GREAT, BUT NOWWE'RE GOING TO TAKEAWAY THE GRANDFATHER CLAUSE.

"MR. ECHEVERRIA: I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT AGREE WITH YOUR HONOR'S CHARACTERIZATION THAT ANY PARTICULAR LEGISLATORSWHO WERE MISLEAD IN THE ENACTMENT OF SP-23. BACK IN THE YEAR2000, THERE WERE PUBLIC MASS SHOOTINGS THAT LED TO THE PUBLICOUTCRY, THAT LED TO THE FEDERAL ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN AND LED TOCALIFORNIA'S ENACTMENT OF SP-23; BUT OVER THE PAST 15 TO 16 YEARS, THERE'S BEEN EVEN MORE PUBLIC MASS SHOOTINGS INVOLVINGLARGE CAPACITY MAGAZINES. SO EVEN IF THE COMPROMISE WOULD HAVENOT BEEN POSSIBLE BACK IN 2000, THE FACTS HAVE CHANGED ANDCIRCUMSTANCES HAVE CHANGED AND OVER 60 PERCENT OF THECALIFORNIA ELECTORATE VOTED FOR PROPOSITION 63. THAT'S HOWDEMOCRACY WORKS. THAT'S HOWINCREMENTAL LEGISLATION HAPPENS."

I’ve heard or read oral arguments on 1st and 4th Amendment issues that based on the judges questions and comments seemed very favorable, only for the ruling to either maintain the status quo or go the other way. So I’m really not hopeful.

The other thing is, if you look at all the examples that are overturned on appeal, reading those rulings makes it clear. They will ignore all facts and instead twist and contort previous rulings in order to justify the state.

These judges who make these awful rulings don’t do so because they are dumb. They do so either to advance their own careers, or are already in a position where they can do whatever without consequence.

Ninth Circuit upholds preliminary injunction against magazine confiscation in California
Ninth Circuit upholds preliminary injunction against magazine confiscation in California
The courts continue to block a California law to confiscate magazines over 10 rounds.

While the preliminary injunction appeal was in progress, District Judge Benitez has kept the case moving forward. Judge Wallace wrote that "The district court is to be commended for following our constant admonition not to delay trial preparation awaiting an interim ruling on the preliminary injunction....The district court has properly proceeded with deliberate speed towards a trial, which will allow it to decide this case with a full and complete record and a new review. ... I credit the district court for ensuring the case did not stall awaiting disposition of this appeal."
http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Duncan-2018-07-17-Memorandum-Affirming.pdf
http://michellawyers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Duncan-2018-07-17-Judge-Wallaces-Dissent.pdf

When talking about a woman with not enough rounds in her gun as she is attacked in her home:

THE COURT: BUT THAT'S OKAY BECAUSE AFTER SHE WASKILLED LAWENFORCEMENT WOULD COME IN AND SAY, OH, WE GOTANOTHER STATISTIC; WE'VE GOT SOMEONE THAT'S BEEN KILLED. THAT'S SO SAD. BUT LET'S MOVE ON TO THE NEXT CASE

Holy Cow!
Read the first number of pages, 10 mins in or so, this Judge sounds like a staunch pro-2A, 10 year NES veteran member!

View: https://www.scribd.com/document/379996641/Duncan-v-Becerra-3-17-cv-01017-Oral-Argument
The guys on arf have been combing it and posting highlights, and it's worth reading for sure. I will link to that thread instead of copy/pasting everything.

Worth a read -- Duncan v. Becerra (CA Magazine ban case) - oral argument transcript - Awesome judge questions! - AR15.COM

ARF is a cesspool, wouldn't spend a second there...but thanks for shedding light on it here.

ARF is a cesspool, wouldn't spend a second there...but thanks for shedding light on it here.
I strongly suggest you browse the 4 page thread over there if you are not going to wade through the entire document. They seem to have done a good job highlighting consequential sections.

THE COURT: OKAY. LET ME -- THANK YOU. I THANK YOU BOTH. BY THE WAY, I THINK YOU BOTH HAVE DONE A WONDERFUL JOB. MR. ECHEVERRIA, YOU STOOD UP TO MY WHIP-SAWING YOU FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME THIS MORNING, AND I REALLY, REALLY APPRECIATE IT. IT'S A SERIOUS CASE, SOME SERIOUS ISSUES. I THINK I CAN ANSWER THE QUESTION OF WHY IT IS THAT JUDGES ALMOST ALWAYS UPHOLD THE STATE'S RESTRICTIONS. WHO WANTS TO BE THE JUDGE WHO -- BY THE WAY, I CAN TELL YOU THAT I RECEIVE MAIL REGULARLY -- WELL, NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE -- PEOPLE TELLING ME THE BLOOD OF THESE CHILDREN WILL BE ON YOUR HANDS AND COMMENTS LIKE THAT. WHO WANTS TO BE THE JUDGE WHO ALLOWS PEOPLE TO CONTINUE TO OWN LARGE CAPACITY MAGAZINES OR ASSAULT WEAPONS OR MACHINE GUNS OR WHATEVER WHO WAKES UP IN THE MORNING AND FINDS OUT THAT SOME OTHER DERANGED PERSON OR SOME TERRORIST HAS KILLED A BUNCH OF YOUNG KIDS OR INNOCENT CHILDREN.

MY CONCERN, MY CONCERN IS THIS: THE BILL OF RIGHTS WASN'T ADOPTED BECAUSE THERE WAS SOME PEOPLE SITTING IN SOME THEORETICAL ROOM SOMEWHERE STROKING THEIR CHIN AND GOING: WELL, I'M GOING TO THINK BIG THOUGHTS TODAY. AND YEAH, I GOT AN IDEA. HEY, I TELL YOU WHAT. LET'S DO THIS. LET'S PASS AN AMENDMENT THAT SAYS THAT THE GOVERNMENT WILL NOT DISARM THE POPULATION. YEAH, THAT'S A GOOD IDEA. THAT'S NOT WHY IT HAPPENED AT ALL. IT HAPPENED BECAUSE THESE PEOPLE HAD JUST LIVED, THEY HAD JUST LIVED THROUGH AN EXPERIENCE WHERE THE GOVERNMENT, THE VERY GOVERNMENT -- MR. ECHEVERRIA, YOU'RE HERE REPRESENTING THE STATE -- THE VERY GOVERNMENT THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO PROTECT ITS CITIZENS WAS IN FACT ABUSING ITS CITIZENS, AND IT WAS DOING IT ALL UNDER THE PRETENSE OF LAW.

TAKE, FOR EXAMPLE, THE FOURTH AMENDMENT. THE FOURTH AMENDMENT, THEY WERE USING SOMETHING CALLED THE WRIT OF ASSISTANCE IN ORDER TO COME INTO PEOPLE'S HOUSE WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE AND TO SEARCH AND ARREST AND HAUL PEOPLE AWAY. PEOPLE VERY OFTEN FORGET THAT THE FIRST BATTLE OF THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR WAS FOUGHT ON APRIL -- I BELIEVE IT WAS APRIL 19TH, 1775. AND IT WAS FOUGHT, WHY? BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT DECIDED IT WAS GOING TO DISARM, IN THE INTEREST OF THE PUBLIC, IT WAS GOING TO DISARM THE PUBLIC, THE COLONISTS. AND THEY MARCHED UPON LEXINGTON AND CONCORD TO DISARMTHE POPULATION. AND SO WHEN THEY WERE DRAFTING THE BILL OF RIGHTS, THESE PEOPLE WHO HAD JUST LIVED THROUGH THIS EXPERIENCE -- THIS WASN'T THEORETICAL. IT WASN'T HYPOTHETICAL. IT WASN'T SOME BIG THINK TANK MOVEMENT. THEY LIVED THROUGH THIS, AND THEY DECIDED, YOU KNOW, THERE'S CERTAIN THINGS THAT WE WANT TO TELL THE GOVERNMENT THAT THEY CANNOT DO. YOU CAN DO A LOT OF THINGS. YOU CAN TELL PEOPLE YOU CAN'T DRIVE CARS WITH TINTED WINDOWS. YOU CAN TELL PEOPLE THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE A GFCI IN YOUR BATHROOM AND EVERY OTHER 20 FEET. YOU CAN TELL ME YOU MUST WEAR A SEATBELT. NONE OF THOSE THINGS ARE PROTECTED BY THE BILL OF RIGHTS. BUT THE PEOPLE WHO FOUNDED THIS COUNTRY -- WHO IN MY OPINION WERE SOME OF THE SMARTEST PEOPLE EVER ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET -- CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA, CAME UP WITH THIS EXPERIMENT, AND THEY WERE VERY MUCH AFRAID, VERY MUCH AFRAID THAT THEY MIGHT PERHAPS BE FACING IN THE FUTURE THE VERY SAME THING THEY JUST LIVED THROUGH, AND THEY DIDN'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN. THEY DID NOT WANT TO THE GOVERNMENT TO TELL THEM WHAT THEY COULD DO AND WHAT THEY COULD NOT DO WITH REGARDS TO CERTAIN THINGS.

NOW WE UNDERSTAND, REALLY, WE UNDERSTAND, OF COURSE, THAT IN THE REAL WORLD, YOU CAN'T HAVE A FIRST AMENDMENT WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS, AND YOU CAN'T HAVE A FOURTH AMENDMENT WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS. BUT JUST THINK ABOUT HOW MANY LIVES COULD BE SAVED IF WE SIMPLY SAID: FOURTH AMENDMENT, THAT'S A NICE THOUGHT, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT, WE'RE JUST NOT GOING TO. THERE'S A GREATER PUBLIC INTEREST IN ALLOWING LAW ENFORCEMENT TO BARGE INTO PEOPLE'S HOUSE AND SEARCH THEIR HOUSES WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE. FIFTH AMENDMENT. THINK OF HOW MANY MORE CRIMES COULD BE SOLVED, HOW MANY PEOPLE COULD BE SAVED IF WE COULD COERCE CONFESSIONS FROM PEOPLE. YEAH, FIFTH AMENDMENT, YOU KNOW, IT'S A GREAT IDEA, BUT THE PUBLIC INTEREST OUTWEIGHS PEOPLE HAVING THE RIGHT TO NOT INCRIMINATE THEMSELVES. SO I THINK THIS IS VERY, VERY DIFFICULT BECAUSE WHO WANTS TO SEE CHILDREN BEING SHOT AND KILLED OR OTHER PEOPLE BEING SHOT OR LAW ENFORCEMENT BEING SHOT. BUT SIMPLY BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN DOESN'T MEAN THAT THE STATE GETS TO HAVE ITS WAY HOWEVER IT WANTS, WHENEVER IT WANTS, UNDER SOME RUBRIC THAT, WELL, YOU KNOW, IT'S A REASONABLE FIT. BECAUSE, AS I ASKED MR. ECHEVERRIA OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, WHEN IS IT NOT A REASONABLE FIT? HOW DO WE MAKE THAT DECISION? AND MY QUESTION IS: ARE WE NOT THERE? LOOK AT ALL OF THE LAWS, ALL OF THE REGULATIONS. I'VE LOOKED AT ALL THIS EVIDENCE, AND FRANKLY, WITH ALL OF THE GUN LAWS THAT WE HAVE, AND WE HAVE MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY, HAVE WE REALLY DONE ANYTHING AT ALL TO SOLVE THE GUN VIOLENCE PROBLEM IN THE UNITED STATES? AND THE ANSWER IS NO. NO. WE JUST KEEP WHITTLING AWAY AT THE SECOND AMENDMENT, KEEP WHITTLING AWAY, WHITTLING AWAY UNTIL EVENTUALLY WE'LL GET TO THE POINT WHERE WE'LL BE WHERE PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO OWN ONE GUN WITH ONE ROUND OF AMMUNITION BECAUSE ANYTHING ELSE BEYOND THAT WILL BE A REASONABLE FIT.

THOSE ARE MY PRELIMINARY THOUGHTS. BUT I'M NOT FIXED ON THAT. WHAT I'D LIKE FOR YOU TO DO -- AND AGAIN, I THINK YOU BOTH HAVE DONE A WONDERFUL JOB REPRESENTING YOUR RESPECTIVE POSITIONS AND ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS. BUT WHAT I'D LIKE FOR YOU TO DO IS I'D LIKE FOR YOU TO FILE -- YOU SORT OF HEARD MY CONCERNS. AND YOU HEARD -- YOU OBVIOUSLY KNOW THE THINGS THAT TROUBLE ME.

THE COURT: SO THE CASE OF SELF-DEFENSE, WHEN IT HASN'T HAPPENED, THE STATE SAYS, "SEE, YOU DON'T NEED IT BECAUSE IT HASN'T HAPPENED," AND THEN WHEN THE ISSUE COMES UP ABOUT SPRAYING OF BULLETS, THAT HASN'T HAPPENED, BUT THE STATE SAYS, "TAKE OUR WORD FOR IT; THIS HAS OR WILL HAPPEN."

MS. BARVIR: CORRECT.

That judge gives a shit about doing their job and it's awesome.

Last edited:

View: https://twitter.com/CRPAPresident/status/1111744810463846400

http://michellawyers.com/wp-content...-2019-03-29-Order-Granting-Plaintiffs-MSJ.pdf

CA BAN MAGAZINE BAN STRUCK DOWN!

Accordingly, based upon the law and the evidence, upon which there is no genuine issue, and for the reasons stated in this opinion, Plaintiffs’ motion for summary judgment is granted.69 California Penal Code § 32310 is hereby declared to be unconstitutional in its entirety and shall be enjoined. This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now. IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that: 1. Defendant Attorney General Xavier Becerra, and his officers, agents, servants, employees, and attorneys, and those persons in active concert or participation with him, and those duly sworn state peace officers and federal law enforcement officers who gain knowledge of this injunction order, or know of the existence of this injunction order, are enjoined from enforcing California Penal Code section 32310. 2. Defendant Becerra shall provide, by personal service or otherwise, actual notice of this order to all law enforcement personnel who are responsible for implementing or enforcing the enjoined statute. The government shall file a declaration establishing proof of such notice.

So this is conflicting case for MA law? Should we let Maura know?

This is the most awesome thing I've ever read about gun laws:

This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.

I'm only up to page 15 when there's this :

Plaintiffs contend that there is no genuine dispute that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects the individual right of every law-abiding citizen to acquire, possess, and keep common firearms and their common magazines holding more than 10 rounds – magazines which are typically possessed for lawful purposes. Plaintiffs also contend that the state of California has not carried its burden to demonstrate a reasonable fit between the flat ban on such magazines and its important interests in public safety. Plaintiffs contend that the state’s magazine ban thus cannot survive constitutionally-required heightened scrutiny and they are entitled to declaratory and injunctive relief as a matter of law. Plaintiffs are correct.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest; unlike most 2A judgments.

Footnote 14: To limit self-defense to only those methods acceptable to the government is to effect an enormous transfer of authority from the citizens of this country to the government—a result directly contrary to our constitution and to our political tradition. The rights contained in the Second Amendment are ‘fundamental’ and ‘necessary to our system of ordered liberty.’ The government recognizes these rights; it does not confer them.” Friedman v. City of Highland Park, 784 F.3d 406, 417-18 (7th Cir. 2015) (Manion, J., dissenting).

Judge's footnotes are full of win.

Footnote 14: ...The government recognizes these rights; it does not confer them.” Friedman v. City of Highland Park, 784 F.3d 406, 417-18 (7th Cir. 2015) (Manion, J., dissenting).

I scream this at the tv and radio everytime there is some azzhat bloviating about repealing the second... it doesn't establish the right, it recognizes it

So with the law enjoined, one could conceivably go out of state and buy a bunch of mags legally and bring them home. How does that work when this decision is likely reversed at the 9th circuit and has to be appealed to SCOTUS?

I find it funny how you can read this judges decision which is so well articulated, based on facts, law and history to put together an excellent decision only to be overturned (most likely) by some moron judge on appeal with the reasoning of a 3 yr old child. For what its worth I went through the whole thing and the judge really did write an excellent opinion and I wish there was more like him.

So with the law enjoined, one could conceivably go out of state and buy a bunch of mags legally and bring them home. How does that work when this decision is likely reversed at the 9th circuit and has to be appealed to SCOTUS?
It will take some serious gymnastics to overturn this. He lays out counter arguments to every failed argument by the CA AG. I have little doubt the 9th circus will overturn this either on appeal or en banc.

Then will SCOTUS take the case.

They get two more shots:

1) 3 judge appellate panel
2) EnBanc panel

This procedure was used to correct the MD federal court ruling that made that federal district "shall issue".

by some moron judge on appeal with the reasoning of a 3 yr old child
You mean by some highly intelligent judge who knows (s)he has the power to legislate contrary to the constitution; feels what he is doing is right; and knows he cannot be punished for doing so even if another court overturns his/her ruling.

Do not underestimate the opposition. I am reminded of former Senator's Cheryl Jacques statement on other legislation she advocated - "I'll take a win on this any way I can get it". Sums it up nicely.

It will take some serious gymnastics to overturn this. He lays out counter arguments to every failed argument by the CA AG. I have little doubt the 9th circus will overturn this either on appeal or en banc.

Then will SCOTUS take the case.
Seriously hope this does happen Randy. The 9th is a circus indeed.

It means that the clock has started until the 9th Circus gets lippy and grants the state an emergency order of some pending lawrsuit. So, for now, CA residents can buy standard cap mags I know I would.

Back
Top Bottom