DROs Mounted to my Mini Mill ( Pix per Request)

As Requested here is my Mini Mill with the Digital Read Outs (DROs) installed, along with some other modifications I made.

The first picture is of the DROs. Two 12” and two 6” Made by iGaging. They can be purchased from Grizzly.com or off of Amazon. The 6” runs about $27, the 12” about $35. The extra 6” will be going on my lathe at a later date.

DRO-1.jpg

This is the Remote Display Head for the DRO.

DRO-2.jpg

Overall shot of the Seig Mini Mill

DRO-Mill.jpg

The Three Display Heads mounted to a piece of aluminum sheet bolted to a 1-1/2”
aluminum Angle.

DRO-3.jpg

The Aluminum Angle is Bolted to the rear stock motor bolt holes. It stands on top of two Brass spacers I made. I had to purchase two M6-1 x 60mm bolts from Bel-Metric in Tyngsborough, MA. The Displays need to go up a little more because I have to remove the lowest one to get the cap off of the draw bar. The lower Leg of the Al angle is cut out to fit around the motor.

DRO-4.jpg

This next photo is the top of the “Z” axis 12” scale. To mount it in this location I had to replace the torsion spring with a gas spring. See Below. The bracket from the read head to the spindle housing is shaped like the letter “L” with the foot of the letter going down. This is to move the read head down away from the Gib lock. All the Scale brackets are mounted using 10-32 x 1/2” button head screws. There may still be some socket heads in the pictures, but they have been replaced. Drill the bracket and the spindle head at the same time with a smaller drill. Open up the spindle hole to 0.159” to tap it to 10-32 threads. The bracket will be opened up to 0.189”

Loosen all the screws on the scale. move the spindle to the top of the range. snug up all three screws on that end. Move the head to the bottom of its travel and snug up the bottom screws. Return to the top and tighten those screws. Go to the bottom and tighten the screws there.

DRO-Z-T.jpg

This is the bottom of the “Z” Scale. You can see I used some split loom covers to run the DRO cables in. This also shows the rear of the “Y” Scale.

DRO-Z-B.jpg

This is the front of the 6 inch “Y” scale. The two black brackets on the scale had to be loosened up and slightly spread apart to fit down over the bolt heads that bolt the Mill to the stand.

DRO-Y-F.jpg

This is the bracket of the “Y” scale. I had to make it clear the Gib screws

(It was tough to get a photo now that the table is put back together you will just have to see it in person)

Here is how I mounted the 12” scale on the “X” axis. I use an 1.5” aluminum angle 1/8” thick. The angle’s leg against the table needs to be cut down to about one inch. This is to clear the Gib screws. The angle is mounted flush to the top of the table. The scale is bolted to the underside of the angle. I had to flip the black brackets so that the scale read positive from left to right. I also needed a 1/8” spacer so the read head would not scrape the aluminum angle.

DRO-X.jpg

The bracket to the “Y” part of the table is bent 90º and clearanced for one of the Gib screws.

DRO-X-Bracket.jpg

The bracket materials I used were 1/8” aluminum. Which is too thick to use the screws that come with the scales. So I changed to some 1/16” galvanized stock. I picked them up from Home Depot, they are in with the joist hangers.

DRO-Brackets.jpg

This is the “replacement” gas spring kit from LittleMachineshop.com Using this kit replaced the torsion spring making room for the “Z” scale and also gets you 2.5” more movement on the spindle head. for a total of 9.5 inches. There are three holes to drill and tap, plus one hole in the column to mount the lower end of the spring. The kit includes a longer gear rack too.

DRO-Spring.jpg

I made a small change to the electrical box on the rear of the Mini Mill. I put a two 110v outlet box to power the LED task light and the DRO’s / Lights for the final mounting.

DRO-Elec1.jpg
DRO-Elec-1.jpg

Use a half deep box and mount it in this area. Make sure the cover plate does not extend off the side of the box. I had to elongate the holes to move mine over to the right position.

DRO-Elec2.jpg
DRO-Elec-2.jpg

This is the LED task light I made. It started out as a Desk lamp from Wally World for $15. I gutted it and kept the LED PCB, the reflector, the goose-neck, and the wall wart power supply. I cut down a computer CPU heat sink and mounted the LED PCB to it. The reflector also screws down to it. I cut down the reflector to fit in a reflector housing I had from one of my old cameras. I wanted to add a switch but they were too large to fit in the Housing. I may put on a line switch.

DRO-LED.jpg

Here is the compressed air line I added to blow away the chips while machining.
There is also a metering valve in line. A quick disconnect from the yellow hose and all is well.

DRO-AIR-1.jpg
DRO-Air-1.jpg

Here is the flexible air/coolant line I got from Mcmaster-Carr.com

DRO-AIR-2.jpg

I made a traming bracket from some brass rod I got when I took Golddiggie down to one of my spots to get cheap metal. He made some pistol squib rods with some of the brass that he got. Look up his Karma Thread where he gave some away. The Bracket holds my Multitoyo Dial indicator. When I checked my tram I was about three thousandths difference from one side of the table to the other. A few light taps of a rubber mallet on the column got me down to 1/2 a thousandths.
Tightened up the column nut some more and rechecked. Everything looks good for the 80% build party now.

DRO-Tram2.jpg

Malodave

Last edited:
Her Name is Sienna, She is an eight foot long Red Tail Boa. The wooden cage under her was
for the 11 foot Burmese Python I had. I still have 30 Tarantulas, about 100 Madagascar Hissing
Cockroaches, and a couple of thousand Blaptica Dubia Feeder cockroaches for the tarantulas.

Malodave

whats the snakes name?

- - - Updated - - -

Let me guess... 80% receivers inbound.... I've been thinking long and hard about getting a mini mill.

I have had my Mini Mill since 2002. I purchased the 7 x 12 Mini Lathe at the same time.

Malodave

hows the accuracy of the dros at the limit of travel? I have the same ones, (different mounting) and had issues at first at the ends of the travel. I had to remount the center of the dro so it was a floating connection. they do work fine though. (good job BTW)

They seem to work fine. The specs call out .001 over 6" and .002 over 12." Since the max I am going is 9" I going to say .0015.
Over the 4" length of cut on the lowers, it should be less than one thousandths.

Malodave

That's a lot of snake! Is that your way of keeping the wife out of your shop

Her Name is Sienna, She is an eight foot long Red Tail Boa. The wooden cage under her was
for the 11 foot Burmese Python I had. I still have 30 Tarantulas, about 100 Madagascar Hissing
Cockroaches, and a couple of thousand Blaptica Dubia Feeder cockroaches for the tarantulas.

Malodave

- - - Updated - - -

I have had my Mini Mill since 2002. I purchased the 7 x 12 Mini Lathe at the same time.

Malodave

That's a lot of snake! Is that your way of keeping the wife out of your shop

No wife. This is in my kitchen, along with the Lathe. I have built a corvair engine on the kitchen table before including
the three blade Carbon fiber propeller. I have had a drill press, bandsaw, Oxy-Acetylene set, and other various tools
there when I need them. I built the Spars for my airplane on the front porch.

Malodave

Last edited:
Very nice installation. I bought a set of digital scales that didn't have the remote display for my minimill, and only installed one. Having the display on the scale itself was too annoying to deal with. I may have to get a set of the type you used. Thanks!

Very nice installation. I bought a set of digital scales that didn't have the remote display for my minimill, and only installed one. Having the display on the scale itself was too annoying to deal with. I may have to get a set of the type you used. Thanks!

KMM, all three DRO units with remote displays (2 @ 12", 1 @ 6") from Amazon with shipping under $100. Great deal, and the shipping was very quick.

12"
iGaging 12" Magnetic Remote Digital Readout - Amazon.com

6"
iGaging DigiMAG 6" Magnetic Remote Digital Readout - Amazon.com

~DJ

What is the range of motion on that mill? (I assume 12x12x6" or less...)

With the Gas Spring installed, I have X = 9.3", Y = 4.1", and Z = 9.5" I could get another half inch on the Z
if I remove the upper stop and make a new column cover that will be the stop.

Malodave

Nice. I want DRO on my bridgeport but most decent kits are north of $700. I may think about a bigger version of this since I can't justify paying as much for a DRO as I paid for my entire fullsize mill.

Nice. I want DRO on my bridgeport but most decent kits are north of $700. I may think about a bigger version of this since I can't justify paying as much for a DRO as I paid for my entire fullsize mill.

What are your travel limits on the Bridgeport? With these DRO's you will not get a single display with all the benefits & features but at the these low prices you will get a functioning DRO setup.

24" @ under $50
iGaging 24" Magnetic Remote Digital Readout - Amazon.com

35" @ approx. $72
http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-DigiF...F8&qid=1363834400&sr=8-9&keywords=igaging+dro

Last edited:
Dave, Did you have to cut any of your scales to fit the HF Mini Mill?

I was just looking over the one page instructions I got with my iGaging DRO's, and was surprized that there is no info about if they can be cut, or what the process is to properly cut them.

It would be great if they all fit right out of the box. That is not usually my luck though. [laugh]

Dave, Did you have to cut any of your scales to fit the HF Mini Mill?

I was just looking over the one page instructions I got with my iGaging DRO's, and was surprized that there is no info about if they can be cut, or what the process is to properly cut them.

It would be great if they all fit right out of the box. That is not usually my luck though. [laugh]

I did not cut any of the DROs. But they can be cut. You can mill off the ends, or cut them on a band saw.
Don't use a back and forth saw blade like a hacksaw. The PCB in the scale will separate on that end.

Malodave

What are your travel limits on the Bridgeport? With these DRO's you will not get a single display with all the benefits & features but at the these low prices you will get a functioning DRO setup.

24" @ under $50
iGaging 24" Magnetic Remote Digital Readout - Amazon.com

35" @ approx. $72
http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-DigiF...F8&qid=1363834400&sr=8-9&keywords=igaging+dro

I'll need to check to be sure. Mine is a "baby" Bridgeport with only a 36"x9" table but id need to check the actual travel. Realistically I only use a portion of the table since I have a large vice and a rotary table on it and never really use the ends beyond those.

I made a small change to the electrical box on the rear of the Mini Mill. I put a two 110v outlet box to power the LED task light and the DRO’s / Lights for the final mounting.

DRO-Elec1.jpg
DRO-Elec-1.jpg

What are you using to convert the DROs from battery to 110v. I have been looking for a way to do that.

What are you using to convert the DROs from battery to 110v. I have been looking for a way to do that.

I am using a 12V wall wart to drive some LEDs to light them. I will tap off of the 12V with a
small DC-DC converter that will be set to the 3V that the DROs need.

Last night, I milled out a test block of 1/2 inch Plexi for a DRO to fit into. I wiill paint the Plexi White
then Black. After milling the three spots for the final piece. The light should travel thru the Plexi and
then light up the DROs LCD display from the milled edge.

Malodave

7.62, NICE... Very clean mod.

For your DC power you should check out You-Do-It Electronics in Needham (exit 19a Rt 95/ Rt 128) for a wall wart like in the link below. They should have the adapters in stock for less than the Amazon link I attached. An adapter for 3 Volts with 1.0 Amp or 1.5 amp rating would have no problem powering all three units. The wall wart device you are looking for is actually referred to as a "Regulated Switching Power Supply". Hell, they can't draw that much power - they only use a button battery for power out of the box.

Amazon.com: 3 Volt 1.5 Amp Power Adapter, AC to DC, 2.1mm X 5.5mm Plug, Regulated UL 3v 1.5a Power Supply Wall Plug: Electronics

Wow, I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

Unfortunately, as distance increases between the power supply and the device’s circuit board, so does electrical interference and noise. Sometimes, this can lead to erratic or malfunctioning devices.

I thought I was just going to wire the wall wart directly to the battery terminals. I did not take any of the noise or electrical interference issues into account. That is why this forum is so great. I have really learned a great deal here.
Thank you !!!

edit:

Great instruction, very detailed process. After reading the entire process- it appears to be more than I will be able to accomplish right now with current tooling. I'm wondering if I made up an inline capacitor/ power input lead, just outside the battery compartment cover, would that be as effective. It would be much less labor intensive than making three button battery replacements.

Has anyone powered these DRO's with inline cap's & wall warts?

That is Dave's pic, not mine

Oop's - Sorry...

Guess I need to do a better job of reading. [laugh]

Great job: Malodave... Very nice Mod's. [bow]

Last edited:
I didn't see this about the Capacitor. But they are using it like an audio guy uses a big Cap to power
the amps when the bass notes hit. I have some SMT Tantalum 33 uF Caps at work and will solder them
to one of the battery locations inside the DRO display head. The cap goes between the + positive
lead and the negative ground. It does not go from Positive in to positive out. This would just
disconnect the unit from the power source.

Wow, I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

Unfortunately, as distance increases between the power supply and the device’s circuit board, so does electrical interference and noise. Sometimes, this can lead to erratic or malfunctioning devices.

I thought I was just going to wire the wall wart directly to the battery terminals. I did not take any of the noise or electrical interference issues into account. That is why this forum is so great. I have really learned a great deal here.
Thank you !!!

edit:

Great instruction, very detailed process. After reading the entire process- it appears to be more than I will be able to accomplish right now with current tooling. I'm wondering if I made up an inline capacitor/ power input lead, just outside the battery compartment cover, would that be as effective. It would be much less labor intensive than making three button battery replacements.

Has anyone powered these DRO's with inline cap's & wall warts?

Oop's - Sorry...

Guess I need to do a better job of reading. [laugh]

Great job: Malodave... Very nice Mod's. [bow]

Back
Top Bottom