Dovetail optics mounts.

Sam P

NES Member
Do they stay in place without constant adjusting? Is there one better than the rest the prices vary quite a bit.

What specifically are you trying to mount. My dovetail setups are all rimfire or airgun. Typically I use BKL or Talley rings for these. Never had an issue once they are torqued on.

if it is for a handgun on a slide bouncing back and forth - then definitely a 'no'.

No problem with it on a carry gun for a year and 2k rounds through it. Held zero just fine.

Properly installed I don’t see an issue.

I used a dovetail mount on one of my Glock 34s when I wanted to try out a red dot. It worked fine for the relatively short period of time that I used it. It isn't ideal as it puts the red dot up higher than it should be. And I wouldn't have wanted to count on it for the long term. But for a while it was OK.

Thanks for your reply's. I was looking to mount it to a Glock 17l Gen 3. I will look into getting the slide cut.

I used a dovetail mount on one of my Glock 34s when I wanted to try out a red dot. It worked fine for the relatively short period of time that I used it. It isn't ideal as it puts the red dot up higher than it should be. And I wouldn't have wanted to count on it for the long term. But for a while it was OK.
I had a s&w .45 with a dovetail mounted burris fastfire for pins. It worked fine, but I wouldn’t recommend it fir carry or action pistol.

I had a s&w .45 with a dovetail mounted burris fastfire for pins. It worked fine, but I wouldn’t recommend it fir carry or action pistol.
I used a dovetail mount on my Glock 34 for action pistol for less than a year, but I wasn't shooting particularly high round counts. I think it's a reasonable start if you want to try red dots, but with the understanding that it isn't a good choice for hard use or for defensive purposes.

One advantage of buying a second slide versus milling is no downtime and no hassles with shipping. Just order the slide, transfer the components, mount the red dot, and you're ready to go.

It depends. I put a dovetail mount on an M&P. Had to file it down to fit so I made sure it was tight. The mount also had a set screw to hold it in place. Never had a problem. Check out EGW. They make a large assortment of dovetail mounts. They make good stuff and stand behind the work.

My tikka 308 has a dovetail mount. It is rock solid. Hundreds of shots. Carried and knocked around in the mountains. I wish all my guns had it.
Dovetail scope mounts on a rifle are a bit of a different animal than a cantilevered red dot mount that is designed for the rear dovetail of a pistol slide.

Back
Top Bottom