Doobie Harassed for open carrying "two pistols"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, doobie, since you're feeling so "empowered", when you're done with that debacle, why don't you come down to CT and open carry here? There's NOTHING in the laws that prohibit it (resident OR non-resident), so, by exclusion, it's perfectly legal. Uh, people get away with it all the time. I suggest you start in Hartford, Bridgeport, New London, etc. [wink]

You'll get all the "high and mighty" legal exposure you could wish for! [rofl]

You live in CT, you want to protect your freedoms there, you open carry. I don't need to drive through MA with a pistol, nor do I care what laws are on the books or not in CT. It has been made strictly clear through the AG of NH that it is 100% legal to open carry and that police should NOT be harassing people for doing it.

Thank you though, because you did remind me though that I want to submit a copy of my 'complaint' to the AG's office.

At least SOME people are willing to rock the boat!

And, very possibly, capsize. [wink]

Open carry here, even though there's NOTHING in the laws prohibiting it, and you get a "man with a gun" call placed on you? Say buh-bye to your pistol permit and, mostly likely, whatever you are carrying at the time. Appeals are YEARS behind here in CT. So, I don't think I'll open carry and "rock the boat". But, the flamboyant types, such as "doobie"? Hey, have at it! Yeah, "doobie"...nice user name, maaannn... Gonna rip on a bag of Cheetos while bakin' out to Floyd or something? [laugh2] [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Then you should start do what your lawyer will likely tell you to do tomorrow. Don't talk about any of this to anyone, including on this forum.

Lawsuits are time consuming, expensive and take an emotional toll. They keep you awake at night. They distract you from everyday activities and add significantly to your stress level. I know... been through it recently. I experienced all of this and more, even though most of the expense was covered by insurance and I was absolutely in the right. The party that sued had a history of suing people. This was my first in twenty three years of business.

Doobie you recently posted the following:

If you think truck troubles are expensive wait until the clock starts ticking on a lawyer's services. There is the time required to meet with lawyers. The production of documents (likely including everything you have every posted on this forum and others). There is the answering of questions asked by the other party. You have not lived until you've been grilled by an attorney for a day or two in depositions.

And wait until the other side decides to really screw with you with tons of requests that will add tens of thousands to your legal bill.

I know you're mad. I know you're in the right. And I know that you want to make this right.

A lawsuit is all consuming. As someone else suggested... pick your fights. This is not a path that most people should take.

Best of luck, my friend.

Rich

Rich, I corrected my wording in another thread. My lawsuit has nothing to do with this. And if the lawyer is willing to take up the lawsuit and believes that there is a good chance of going through I can probably raise money from other people.

Also I'm also thinking about bringing up my issue legislatively as well. Both methods can work, but the lawsuit would require the NH Supreme Court.

So would a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

When they walked up to you did they say "Papers Please" ?

No it was something like:

Him: "Hey you turn around and get off the phone."

Me: "What seems to be the problem?"

Him: "We got a call of someone carrying two pistols."

Me: "Oh the one on my left is just a flash light."

Him: "Keep your hands away from it."

Me: "Sorry, BTW my camcorder is video taping."

Him: "Turn it off."

Me: "Okay" ... Of course I really had it off, until he said to turn it off, then I turned it on. So I didn't get the first part.

Then he asked if it was really off and I said I'd have to move my other hand to turn it off. and turned it off.

He asked for ID and I said my license was in my car...then got into where is my car.... and then said I had my pistol permit.... then he got into it not being valid when I told him I moved...and I said then it's a good thing I'm open carrying...etc...etc.

When you are done in NH come to Mass i need some one with balls to help change the
firearm laws in this a**h*** of a state .

And, very possibly, capsize. [wink]

Open carry here, even though there's NOTHING in the laws prohibiting it, and you get a "man with a gun" call placed on you? Say buh-bye to your pistol permit and, mostly likely, whatever you are carrying at the time. Appeals are YEARS behind here in CT. So, I don't think I'll open carry and "rock the boat". But, the flamboyant types, such as "doobie"? Hey, have at it! Yeah, "doobie"...nice user name, maaannn... Gonna rip on a bag of Cheetos while bakin' out to Floyd or something? [laugh2] [rolleyes]

Dude, just because YOU don't have a law but they can get you for something else doesn't mean they can in NH. It's been through courts and it's been through the AG, we have this little thing called liberty and freedom. You might not know what it is about, but we do up in NH and we do this strange thing called "USE our liberties and freedoms."

Look, open carry is legal and all, but it is also asking for attention. You can call it harassment, but what do you expect? Someone sees a guy walking around with a gun out in the open, and it isn't a usual thing and the guy doesn't have a uniform, they will call the cops. Did you go to jail? No. If you have little kids that live in the area, you look out and see a guy with a gun who may look scary to you, what would you do. If I had kids, I think it would be an easy call to have someone come investigate. If things are kosher, the guy would be on his way in a few minutes... Just like you.

I think nothing unexpected happened to you. You wanted attention, you got it. I say be happy, you have your story. Don't start suing anyone and costing the state money to defend itself, because crap like that will make sure open carry gets outlawed for costing too much in frivolous lawsuit defenses.

So Doobie,

I'm curious...
as a CYA, do you have proof of having met this part of the requirement "he shall notify in writing the issuing authority at his new place of residence that he has a current license. "

Just my opinion, but spending the $10 to get updated LTC with current address is cheap money, despite the "principal" of it all....

and another thought...the NH LTC does ot have a picture....so having your Drivers license with picture allows a match to the LTC...otherwise, how do they know you are the actual person on the pictureless LTC....

Look, open carry is legal and all, but it is also asking for attention. You can call it harassment, but what do you expect? Someone sees a guy walking around with a gun out in the open, and it isn't a usual thing and the guy doesn't have a uniform, they will call the cops. Did you go to jail? No. If you have little kids that live in the area, you look out and see a guy with a gun who may look scary to you, what would you do. If I had kids, I think it would be an easy call to have someone come investigate. If things are kosher, the guy would be on his way in a few minutes... Just like you.

I think nothing unexpected happened to you. You wanted attention, you got it. I say be happy, you have your story. Don't start suing anyone and costing the state money to defend itself, because crap like that will make sure open carry gets outlawed for costing too much in frivolous lawsuit defenses.

I've been open carrying in NH for months. Never had an issue. Again, my lawsuit has nothing to do with this incident and I'm just going to talk to the lawyer about the possibility. I'm also pursuing the same action legislatively.

So Doobie,

I'm curious...
as a CYA, do you have proof of having met this part of the requirement "he shall notify in writing the issuing authority at his new place of residence that he has a current license. "

Just my opinion, but spending the $10 to get updated LTC with current address is cheap money, despite the "principal" of it all....

and another thought...the NH LTC does ot have a picture....so having your Drivers license with picture allows a match to the LTC...otherwise, how do they know you are the actual person on the pictureless LTC....

No, I only told them verbally. They said when I get a chance I should come in and fill out a form. But their hours aren't conducive to me getting there when the police office is open. And then I forgot about it.

A picture isn't required by law. Legally I didn't even have to provide him with *any* identification. I could have just given my name and address. That is all I had to provide them. I gave them my license to be nice.

Wow. Divide and conquer. We argue amongst ourselves over using the rights given to us through the sacrifice of others, then we begin telling ourselves what is "reasonable". We are our own worst enemies.

Wow. Divide and conquer. We argue amongst ourselves over using the rights given to us through the sacrifice of others, then we begin telling ourselves what is "reasonable". We are our own worst enemies.

It has to be that way. It ALWAYS has to be. The pendulum cannot rest on one side of the swing.

doobie,
It looks like the only mistake that you have made is to come to your 'home forum' for support and encouragement.
This place has changed a lot in the last year or so, mostly for the worse.

Good luck cleaning up your 'sandbox.'
It is clearly too late for Massachusetts to be changed.

Jack

It's all for the good of "the children" [rolleyes]

It has to be that way. It ALWAYS has to be. The pendulum cannot rest on one side of the swing.

It will rest where we leave it. You are welcome to leave it on "I lost my rights because I didn't fight for them."

Me, I'll keep pushing the pendulum towards more freedom and liberty. Not just more, but the freedoms and liberties that we have lost.

Someone sees a guy walking around with a gun out in the open, and it isn't a usual thing and the guy doesn't have a uniform, they will call the cops.

There's probably not a criminal in all the Country that open carries his handgun in a holster.

On the having to have your DL when walking, no way. If I ever get asked for a DL while walking chances are I will not have it as I walk near my house and ussually wouldnt have my wallet.

Sorry, the idea that I have to give up my DL ID just because I am walking, and I have another form of state sanctioned ID (only because of the carry permit) is commie state to me.

The bad guys walking down the road HAVE no DL, so they dont have to give it up, whereas I have one so I should have it with me all the time? Nope.

Sad I didn't catch that this was in NH, I assumed MA and thought "Mah, pretty typical for MA" NH though, sad state of affairs for such a "free" state.

It's interesting and rather unfortunate to see how much opinions vary on this site, regionally and otherwise.

I think you were in the right to refuse them your license, and without the details on your proposed lawsuit I can't comment on it. Open carry does seem to be asking for unwanted attention, but I've yet to experience such a liberty in this hell hole of a state, so I can't say I wouldn't do it either.

Good luck with everything. +1

...open carry is legal ... Someone sees a guy walking around with a gun out in the open, and it isn't a usual thing and the guy doesn't have a uniform, they will call the cops.

If the knucklehead who called the cops stopped and thought for just one second, they might realize or learn, if they asked someone, that open carry hear is perfectly legal.
Do you think for one second that some banger with bad intentions would carry openly?
I, for one, am more concerned about the guys that are carrying concealed.

I have lived in the northern part of NH and know from experience that there are many parts of this free state where open carry is accepted as an every day thing.

The remedy for situations like this is for more people to carry openly in places where it is currently uncommon.

Last edited:
If the knucklehead who called the cops stopped and thought for just one second, they might realize or learn, if they asked someone, that open carry hear is perfectly legal.

So, enlighten us. How does open carry sound different than concealed carry? I've never HEARD any difference. [rofl]

So, enlighten us. How does open carry sound different than concealed carry? I've never HEARD any difference. [rofl]

And when you run out of anything worthwhile to say, start attacking grammar.

nutkick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom