Don't panic - the PROCESS in MA will not be like NY

Just spoke to my Representative, who is a "friendly acquaintance." They said that the process in MA is very different than what happened in NY. The Governor floats bills, but the House and Senate also do and the three never agree (even though they are all Democrats or Democrat-dominated). There is a lot of discussion, process, etc. that will occur with public hearings and debate - sort of what we learned about in civics class. The Governor is setting a high bar, so that something less than this will be seen as a victory. While the result may not be good, at least it won't be crammed down our throats, I am assured.

Just spoke to my Representative, who is a "friendly acquaintance." They said that the process in MA is very different than what happened in NY. The Governor floats bills, but the House and Senate also do and the three never agree (even though they are all Democrats or Democrat-dominated). There is a lot of discussion, process, etc. that will occur with public hearings and debate - sort of what we learned about in civics class. The Governor is setting a high bar, so that something less than this will be seen as a victory. While the result may not be good, at least it won't be crammed down our throats, I am assured.

Good to hear this from a REP, yet we cannot trust anyone in these times... need to stay on them and stay on course..

Good info to know. However people shouldn't read into that as it being time to let up. This "extra" window is opportunity to get our voices heard and gather additional support.

I doubt they're going to go for the 7 rd cap. I havent seen a story on it, but one of my drivers from Albany said they're not sure if that law's going to stand - lawsuits are coming.

I think we're going to get one gun a month and an end to F2F sales.

I don't trust 99% of those mother F&ckers.

Keep the heat on and do not relent. Do not stop calling and emailing. You need to be able to explain the absolutely devastating ramifications of the bill to them (especially the "fence sitters").

Last edited:
We need to have a a thread (maybe this is it) where the steps of the process are posted so people can follow along and take action along the way.

Some guidance on what to do would be good also - calling certain people, showing up if a hearing is public, etc.

I cant see them going for 1 a month based on some items from the past (hasnt he proposed this before?)

I do see the no F2F going through and some other things definitely possible

I prefer to still panic

YES! great idea

We need to have a a thread (maybe this is it) where the steps of the process are posted so people can follow along and take action along the way.

Some guidance on what to do would be good also - calling certain people, showing up if a hearing is public, etc.

I cant see them going for 1 a month based on some items from the past (hasnt he proposed this before?)

I do see the no F2F going through and some other things definitely possible

I prefer to still panic

yes, the devil has pushed one gun a month in the past and has been shot down every time.

I doubt they're going to go for the 7 rd cap. I havent seen a story on it, but one of my drivers from Albany said they're not sure if that law's going to stand - lawsuits are coming.

I think we're going to get one gun a month and an end to F2F sales.

An END to F2F sales ?

Is that even in the Bill ?

This is what I have been trying to tell people.

That said pressure still needs to be applied- to make reps and senators NOT want to have to vote on this. A good goal is for the bills to get tanked.

I don't think linskys garbage is going anywhere, but Deval's is very dangerous and needs to be destroyed.

-Mike

You have to realize, this is a negotiation. The bill has enough fat in it to be trimmed. Like the OP said, so it will look like a victory. I can see some crap happening with the mental health issue, the "gun show" loophole, and maybe some other crap, but I am also optimistic that some fat will be trimmed off this bill, and hopefully our magazine capacity is part of it.
For now, chin up, and don't speculate the worst.

keep in mind that 2a is already infringed, so we have a long fight ahead of us, not just to stand our ground, but to advance. So yes, the time is now, no reason to wait or let your guard down.

The General Court tends not to do what Deval wants. Can't quite figure out why other than he is not really one of them so they do not provide him any consideration.

Pay more attention to what DeLeo and Murray want to do. It's more likely their bills would make it through.

Disagree. We absolutely need to speculate the worst because it's the only way to get people (not just NESers, but also fudds and casual owners) up off their ass to do something. Make no mistake about it, this bill (and the others that will inevitably follow) would devastate the law abiding shooting community in the state and people need to understand that.

This is what I have been trying to tell people.

That said pressure still needs to be applied- to make reps and senators NOT want to have to vote on this. A good goal is for the bills to get tanked.

I don't think linskys garbage is going anywhere, but Deval's is very dangerous and needs to be destroyed.

-Mike

Remember, we all just witnessed that ram-job in NY. It is human nature to think the State of the midnight legislative pay raises may follow suit.

We need to be on top of this. For example, this committee has the bill on their plate right now for a recommendation, here are the 10 members, contact them now and tell them to vote no. That type of stuff could be effective, IMO.

would the fact that we have some of the lowest gun deaths in our state solidify or back up that there could possibly be no changes, or little at that?

I hope he is right, i've had 2 to 3 hours sleep the last couple of days.

No offense, but I'm glad it's not just me. Probably doesn't help that I'm also reading "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" at the same time all this crap is going down.

You have to realize, this is a negotiation. The bill has enough fat in it to be trimmed. Like the OP said, so it will look like a victory. I can see some crap happening with the mental health issue, the "gun show" loophole, and maybe some other crap, but I am also optimistic that some fat will be trimmed off this bill, and hopefully our magazine capacity is part of it.

Can we put forth our own bill, stating that any person who tries to put forth any bill that is deemed unconstitutional shall be summarily taken outside and have the flesh rended from their body, and then be hung by their entrails unto death?

That leaves enough fat to be trimmed out that they'll consider it a victory when it just means that we can fire our "servants" when they stop doing as their constituents wish instead of resulting in their untimely (and graphically messy) demise.

Back
Top Bottom