Does anyone carry the bigger Sigs, P226, P225, P229 etc?

Varmint

NES Member
I love every Sig I've shot, but they seem big and heavy for carrying, if you're not LE or a security guard or something.

Does anyone do it, carry the bigger Sigs?

I carry my P226 iwb once in a while in a crossbreed supertuck. But for my edc i'll stick with my pm9.

Last edited:
P226 iwb every day. It's not to bad. The weight is not bad with a good belt. I don't even notice the size anymore. If I bend over it prints a bit but I have never had an issue.

I carry a 229 sometimes and it is not bad. Just picked up a Legion and will carry it as well once I get used to it.

Compared to a 1911, doesn't feel to bad.

I carry a P229 every now and then in a minotaur MTAC holster (with the 15 round mags). I've never had a problem with it. A sturdy belt helps distribute the weight.

Carried the P229 on occasion in a Crossbreed Supertuck - not too bad. Mostly winter/heavier clothing.
Everyday carry in warmer weather is the smaller and lighter Shield 9mm however.

I EDC a 226 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, with a spare mag carrier.

The only time people notice it, is when I whip it out to show it off, or take off my shirt for the ladies.

I sometimes carry my 229 duty gun IWB to and from work. It's not bad but I wouldn't choose it over ome of the other options. I also have a Sig 220 couldn't be much worse than a 1911 I'd imagine.

I'll occasionally carry a 225 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max. I don't do it often, but not because it is too big or heavy. Rather, if I am going for a single stack commander size option, my S&W 1911PD gives me the same capacity and dimensions with .45 ACP. I've carried the 226, but it is heavy and like most double stack SIGs, fairly chunky (IMHO).

P220 carry model doesn't look too bad. at least it's thinner frame than a P229/P226.

When I owned a P229 I carried it all the time, IWB appendix carry.

Blame Forum Runner for any typos and such.

Regularly carry 229 CCW no problem when I don't carry a 1911. 229 was designed as e a more compact version of the .226 suitable for as CCW. Army CID Agents carry it as the M11 CCW.

When I was with the MSP and they issued the 226 the 239 was issued to detectives but everyone else working plainclothes (admin etc) carried the 226 CCW or as an off duty CCW.

Personally I don't see what the big deal is. Dress around the gun and carry enough gun you can comfortably control. I've CCW'd N frame Smiths before with no problems.

When I can't dress around the gun then a j frame Smith.

I carry a 229 OWB most days. With a good belt, I hardly even notice it there. If weather dictates that I can't wear an untucked button down, I carry a PM9.

Skip the belt loop at 3:00 and you can slide the holster back and forth for comfort. It is the easiest way to carry. It also helps that I am a pretty big guy. Makes concealed carry a lot easier.

M11-A1 on occasion. I prefer it in a leather pancake holster or kydex OWB, but IWB in a minotaur. It's not light by any means lol.

I carried a 226 for my first carry gun. A little bulky IMO. Unless you're a buck fifty, tight slacks wearing hipster it should be fine.

Skip the belt loop at 3:00 and you can slide the holster back and forth for comfort. It is the easiest way to carry. It also helps that I am a pretty big guy. Makes concealed carry a lot easier.

I gotta try this...

I carry the P226 appendix IWB. You can't even see a difference.

I will continue to carry it until my G19 is back from Glock and confirmed to be reliable.

i tried a p220, a little too heavy. tried iwb but settled on owb for comfort. it really needed a shoulder rig so it was retired as a carry gun.

I tried carrying a Sig 229 for a bit but found it pretty heavy and unless I had my belt really tight it would always weigh down one side of my jeans. Didn't like it so I stopped carrying it. To each their own and you may have a different outcome.

Thanks everyone, definitely sounds doable. I don't think my USPc 9 is really any lighter than a P229.

Yes it is, if you're going to a P229 from that you're gonna hate it. Years ago I kinda went in the other direction.

-Mike

Regularly carry 229 CCW no problem when I don't carry a 1911. 229 was designed as e a more compact version of the .226 suitable for as CCW. Army CID Agents carry it as the M11 CCW.

I don't know about now, but originally the M11 was a P228. Not a P229. Back not so many years ago there was a difference, until sig stopped making P228s with folded slides. [sad2] The folded slide P228s balance and feel a lot better than a P229 does because the slide mass isn't stupidly high. The P229 was really Sig's entry into the .40 S&W market, the fact that they make a 9mm version was really an afterthought It's also worth noting that P229 9mm and .40/.357 frames are not compatible with one another, Sig actually gave the .40/.357 a different magwell to increase the capacity efficiency of the gun a little bit.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom