• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Doctor won't OK LTC in North Andover

Hey guys, I've got a friend who's having quite a bit of trouble getting his LTC in North Andover, MA. Apparently, they require as part of the application process a note from your doctor stating that you have no history of mental illness. His doctor told him that he will not write him a note stating such because he has not had a physical in over four years. I fail to see how not having a physical in four years has anything to do with the fact that he has no prior mental health issues, but his doctor won't budge on the issue.

I'd like some opinions on what he should do about this. Getting a lawyer is probably the first thing I would recommend to him but I know his financial situation right now all but rules that one out so I'd like to see if anyone has any other ideas first.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

If the doctor hasn't seen the patient in 4 years for a full examination, it can be argued quite successfully that the doctor cannot ethically affirm such a statement.

The fact that they require such a letter pisses me off.. The fact that a doc who hasn't seen him in 4 years and refuses to write it doesn't.

True, but it is a whole lot easier to get another doctor than to get the chief to drop is requirement.

+1 For a fight with the chief you'll need a lawyer, Im sure a guy like Jesse can help.....

Getting a new doctor is a lot easier.....if you think it's as simple as just doing the physical then do it....four years is a long time. If you think the doctor is a communist ahole....I'd get the new doctor.

Mind you....I'm not agreeing with the requirement.....that in itself makes me ill enough to go see my own doctor......

Last edited:
If the doctor hasn't seen the patient in 4 years for a full examination, it can be argued quite successfully that the doctor cannot ethically affirm such a statement.

So, get your friend in for a physical! Then, the doc might write the letter. [or it's time to find another doc]

True, but it is a whole lot easier to get another doctor than to get the chief to drop is requirement.

The problem is if he goes to another doctor the doctor will probably make him get a physical since he knows nothing of his medical history. He may as well just get a physical with his current Dr.

The problem is if he goes to another doctor the doctor will probably make him get a physical since he knows nothing of his medical history. He may as well just get a physical with his current Dr.
1) nothing wrong with getting a physical now and then.

2) See Jesse's response:

I have worked with a doctor in the past who has provided affidavits of "good mental health" to several of my clients.

It could also be argued that if the doctor isn't a shrink that the doctor isn't even really qualified to make a mental health evaluation.

The whole thing is obstructionist BS. IMO the doctor is stonewalling because they don't want to get involved, more than anything
else. Saying "no" limits liability. (even if the liability is mostly imagined).

-Mike

This! The idea that the applicant needs a note is total bs. But, if you're going to ask your doctor to write a note for you don't you think that the doctor should at least have given you an exam sometime in the last four years?

It could also be argued that if the doctor isn't a shrink that the doctor isn't even really qualified to make a mental health evaluation.

The whole thing is obstructionist BS. IMO the doctor is stonewalling because they don't want to get involved, more than anything
else. Saying "no" limits liability. (even if the liability is mostly imagined).

-Mike

my thoughts exactly.

the whole doctor's note is silly BS.

good luck to your friend, z0mbi.

Thanks, guys. I fail to see how not having a physical in 4 years would prevent the doctor from confirming that he has never had any mental health issues, though. It's not like they give you a psych eval while they're grabbing your boys and telling you to cough. I'll recommend to him either getting a physical, or a new doctor (which is essentially a physical anyway), see if that helps him out. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Civil rights violation...

Up next, you need a doctor to sign off on your mental health in order to exercise free speech, and your right to vote and your doctor must be a liberal in order to "affirm" your mental health.

Civil rights violation...

Up next, you need a doctor to sign off on your mental health in order to exercise free speech, and your right to vote and your doctor must be a liberal in order to "affirm" your mental health.

The Dr will need a special license in order to certify the applicant. The licensing class will be readily available once a year on in North Egremont. A reasonable fee of $10,000 dollars will be required for certification.

Last edited:
Get a lawyer, & a new doctor.

Precisely what I was going to say. You're a smart lady, Anastasia! [wink]

if you're going to ask your doctor to write a note for you don't you think that the doctor should at least have given you an exam sometime in the last four years?

I seem to have missed the part in my physicals where my doc runs the "mental illness" check. WTF has a physical exam got to do with mental illness?

Hey... did anyone stop and think that the CLEO and his policy may be saving peoples lives by forcing them to get physicals..... I think they might be on to something.....[laugh][laugh]

though I think the requirement of an affidavit from a doctor is ridiculous, if I were a medical doctor being asked to put pen to paper to certify an individual for a firearm - I would ask the patient for a check up too. What if the doctor signs off, the patient gets his firearms, then is involved in a shooting. With the way our country seems to operate, the patient would be let go, the doctor would loose his license and probably be charged in some tort law case. The doctor's livelihood may be at stake, I wouldn't rubber stamp it either.

Back
Top Bottom