Do you wear your sidearm while driving?

I never do. At least not since the 80's.
When I got my first cc license here in NH sometime in the 80s I asked the lady behind the desk, "What do I do if I'm pulled over and am wearing my gun? She said, "if you are pulled over, keep both hands on the steering wheel and when the officer arrives at your window tell him that you are wearing a gun and am a licensed carrier? Okay.....sound good.

A month or so later I'm on my way to the range, 45 holstered on my right hip when a State Trooper picks up on my inspection sticker and pulls me over. I do exactly as the dispatcher told me. When the officer arrived at my window I say, "Sir, I want to inform you that I have a loaded pistol on my right hip and that I'm a Licen....
Back then the state cops carried 357's. I know because right about the time I said Licen...I had one pointed at me.

This is a very uncomfortable feeling when you can look out of your left eye and see 6 hollow points looking at you from about 24 inches away.
Although I have to say that the officer, after that point handled everything very professionally.

He had me place both my arms out the window and told me that he was going to open my door and told me to slide out keeping my hands out the window. Once out, he unholstered my 45 and unloaded it and everything was cool after that. He actually became quite friendly...Although he did give me a ticket.

But to make a long story short... I never, since that day wear my sidearm while in my car.
In NH you don't have to tell a police officer if you have a gun on you. But since 1980 something, if one ask me, "Do you have a firearm with you?" My answer is,
"I am a licensed concealed carrier vetted by my chief of police but I do not have a firearm with me at this time....Sir.
If he ask, "Is there a firearm in the vehicle my answer is the same... With a smile of course.
And thats only if one ask...If he/she doesn't ask I dont say shit about it.
What say ye?

Last edited:
I once took a cc class taught by a police officer. He said to never offer that info up unless youre asked. His idea was if you rolled through a stop sign or whatever, the stop is about that and that only. If you blurt out the word gun unsolicited, youre adding that to the situation out of the blue.

If the cop asks, then he advised to answer truthfully, at least then the cop brought it up and is expecting a possible answer of "yes". He also said if the cop asks you to step out of the car, you should then make him aware youre armed with hands on the wheel. Theory being that for whatever reason, its turned into more than a traffic stop and youre better off disclosing rather than him finding it on his own.

edit-Sorry, realized I didnt answer your question. I carry everywhere, always. Holstered and on my person.

Yeah, this why I don't volunteer the information unless specifically asked. I've been pulled over 2-3 times while carrying, I was respectful and gave the officer what he asked, each time I got a warning and a "try to keep better attention to your speed".

OPs situation is probably the top reason that I wouldn't volunteer the info, as long as I'm not in a situation where I am legally required to (which is nowhere in Mass as far as I know).

Scary to be one nervous cop's twitchy finger away from oblivion.

Every day, Kydex holster, either a shield or a carry p320. Make sure you practice drawing from a seat belted position. There was a video from Sig Sauer on what it should look and feel like.

As for informing, don't ask, don't tell unless a specific question, and absolutely before being removed from a vehicle.

Yes I do.

If I get pulled over I put both hands on the wheel at 10 & 2 o'clock and keep them still.

I advise the officer that I work in Law Enf, have a Firearms Lic and have a firearm on me.

Then I state "With your permission I would like to get out my Drivers Lic, Work I.D. and LTC."

When he or she says okay I reach for them slowly.

Trust me being in Law Enf. you never want to make the officer that pulled you over nervous!

States that require you to inform you're carrying: Alaska, Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Michigan, Nebraska, north Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas.

I find it interesting that it tends to be the 2A friendly states. Probably in places like Mass it would freak out the officers, lol.

A friend got pulled over and informed the officer he was carrying, the smart ass cop ask if he wanted a shoot off. Dont ask dont tell.

Yes I do.

If I get pulled over I put both hands on the wheel at 10 & 2 o'clock and keep them still.

I advise the officer that I work in Law Enf, have a Firearms Lic and have a firearm on me.

Then I state "With your permission I would like to get out my Drivers Lic, Work I.D. and LTC."

When he or she says okay I reach for them slowly.

Trust me being in Law Enf. you never want to make the officer that pulled you over nervous!

I have to say, this officer was pretty calm thru the whole thing. Then again, it did happen on the road to the range.

I have asked friends in law enforcement about disclosing. They all said the same thing and that is "I don't want to know". Of course if asked you disclose it.

If I'm in and out of the truck often like shopping and errands then I have it in/on my waist. Long one way trips into or out of the state it's in my console.

I carry when legal. I don't notify unless the law requires. I've been stopped while carrying. They didn't ask. I didn't volunteer. I received warnings.

Back
Top Bottom