Do you wear your sidearm while driving?

I picked up my 637, put it in my brand-spankin' new pocket holster, and it was my first-ever concealed carry. Cop followed me most of the way to the range from Gartman. That was a long 20 minutes and I thought about this question the whole time.

Last edited:
I never do. At least not since the 80's.
When I got my first cc license here in NH sometime in the 80s I asked the lady behind the desk, "What do I do if I'm pulled over and am wearing my gun? She said, "if you are pulled over, keep both hands on the steering wheel and when the officer arrives at your window tell him that you are wearing a gun and am a licensed carrier? Okay.....sound good.

A month or so later I'm on my way to the range, 45 holstered on my right hip when a State Trooper picks up on my inspection sticker and pulls me over. I do exactly as the dispatcher told me. When the officer arrived at my window I say, "Sir, I want to inform you that I have a loaded pistol on my right hip and that I'm a Licen....
Back then the state cops carried 357's. I know because right about the time I said Licen...I had one pointed at me.

This is a very uncomfortable feeling when you can look out of your left eye and see 6 hollow points looking at you from about 24 inches away.
Although I have to say that the officer, after that point handled everything very professionally.

He had me place both my arms out the window and told me that he was going to open my door and told me to slide out keeping my hands out the window. Once out, he unholstered my 45 and unloaded it and everything was cool after that. He actually became quite friendly...Although he did give me a ticket.

But to make a long story short... I never, since that day wear my sidearm while in my car.
In NH you don't have to tell a police officer if you have a gun on you. But since 1980 something, if one ask me, "Do you have a firearm with you?" My answer is,
"I am a licensed concealed carrier vetted by my chief of police but I do not have a firearm with me at this time....Sir.
If he ask, "Is there a firearm in the vehicle my answer is the same... With a smile of course.
And thats only if one ask...If he/she doesn't ask I dont say shit about it.
What say ye?
yes

I try to let the cop know that I have a sidearm, am trained to use it and have complete confidence in his professionalism to keep things smooth. I try to save time by just yelling out, "I have a gun and I know how to use it, and I'm not afraid of dying!"
I usually get pulled out and given a ticket. Effing douchebags.

I got pulled over twice while carrying. I didn't say anything the first time and it was a non-event. The second time the cop came up to the passenger side window. Since I was carrying OWB, on the right side, and my wallet was right under my gun, there was a good chance that the cop might have seen the gun when I reached for the wallet. Before reaching for the wallet I informed the cop that I was licensed to carry and that I had a gun on me. He didn't seem to care and all went well...well except for the speeding ticket.

I always carry, used to carry a little pipsqueek p238, small of my back. Got pulled over once, said nothing, because I could pull my wallet out without exposing it. Now, due to spine problems, I carry at about the 3 oclock position, 1911. The idea of not mentioning it, whilst pulling out my wallet, makes me cringe. Will probably disclose the fact when asked for my drivers license, rather than surprise the cop.

States that require you to inform you're carrying: Alaska, Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Michigan, Nebraska, north Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas.

I find it interesting that it tends to be the 2A friendly states. Probably in places like Mass it would freak out the officers, lol.

Don't forget Maine. Permitless carriers were Duty to Inform before the law granting Constitutional Carry, but since CC means no permits for anyone, everyone now has the requirement.

Some insight from a CWP instructor and former Police Officer...

http://blog.beretta.com/how-to-handle-a-traffic-stop-with-concealed-carry

good article, curious why this is:

Always keep in mind that a diminishing number of police officers are experienced and/or active shooters.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget Maine. Permitless carriers were Duty to Inform before the law granting Constitutional Carry, but since CC means no permits for anyone, everyone now has the requirement.

Good to know, thanks - the list did say to read the notes about Maine.

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP, where are you putting your gun if you're not wearing it in the car? Seems like it would be safer on your person.

I just started carrying, and I put it around 4 or 5 oclock, IWB or OWB - it's a little uncomfortable in the car, what do you guys do, move it around or just deal with it?

In the sates where disclosure is required. Work with me here. Does the law require that subject citizen declares firearm truthfully when asked or does it mean that subject citizen blurts out licence + gun ASAP?

Don't speed.

Stop @ red lights and stop signs.

Don't flip off the cops in the Dunkin' parking lot.

Make sure your inspection sticker and plates are OK

This goes a long way to making the problem not exist.

Then, if it does, follow the above advice.

He shoots... he scores!

I never do. At least not since the 80's.
When I got my first cc license here in NH sometime in the 80s I asked the lady behind the desk, "What do I do if I'm pulled over and am wearing my gun? She said, "if you are pulled over, keep both hands on the steering wheel and when the officer arrives at your window tell him that you are wearing a gun and am a licensed carrier? Okay.....sound good.

A month or so later I'm on my way to the range, 45 holstered on my right hip when a State Trooper picks up on my inspection sticker and pulls me over. I do exactly as the dispatcher told me. When the officer arrived at my window I say, "Sir, I want to inform you that I have a loaded pistol on my right hip and that I'm a Licen....
Back then the state cops carried 357's. I know because right about the time I said Licen...I had one pointed at me.

This is a very uncomfortable feeling when you can look out of your left eye and see 6 hollow points looking at you from about 24 inches away.
Although I have to say that the officer, after that point handled everything very professionally.

He had me place both my arms out the window and told me that he was going to open my door and told me to slide out keeping my hands out the window. Once out, he unholstered my 45 and unloaded it and everything was cool after that. He actually became quite friendly...Although he did give me a ticket.

But to make a long story short... I never, since that day wear my sidearm while in my car.
In NH you don't have to tell a police officer if you have a gun on you. But since 1980 something, if one ask me, "Do you have a firearm with you?" My answer is,
"I am a licensed concealed carrier vetted by my chief of police but I do not have a firearm with me at this time....Sir.
If he ask, "Is there a firearm in the vehicle my answer is the same... With a smile of course.
And thats only if one ask...If he/she doesn't ask I dont say shit about it.
What say ye?

So why are you bothering to keep up the CCW?

In the sates where disclosure is required. Work with me here. Does the law require that subject citizen declares firearm truthfully when asked or does it mean that subject citizen blurts out licence + gun ASAP?

Notification Laws == Officer, I am properly licensed to possess a firearm and I do have one on my person at this time. <Blah blah blah, follow directions, hope he doesn't put one in your skull>

Not so sure of that. Need some clarification. My understanding is if you have CC permit, there is no legal requirement to inform.

If that's the case, it seems to be a good reason to maintain that permit.

Notification Laws == Officer, I am properly licensed to possess a firearm and I do have one on my person at this time. <Blah blah blah, follow directions, hope he doesn't put one in your skull>

OK. But when asked, or to be offered immediately? I suspect the laws of requiring states do not include a timeline-ish sequence of operation. I'd be delighted to be mistaken. I'm only trying to root out the truth.

When driving, the wallet goes in the console cup holder so I don't have to reach for anything in the event of a stop.

Last edited:
Exactly. Licence and reg should be in hand and ready to be offered when asked before the wheels even stop turning.

I think I can count on 2 hands the number of times I haven't carried sense getting my license 12 or so years ago. I try not to do stupid sheet to warrant being pulled over. I usually have 2 handguns on me and a rifle in the vehicle (properly stored) but hey some would say I wrap the tinfoil too tight. [tinfoil][tinfoil][tinfoil]

OK. But when asked, or to be offered immediately? I suspect the laws of requiring states do not include a timeline-ish sequence of operation. I'd be delighted to be mistaken. I'm only trying to root out the truth.

Upon contact

Yes. Ankle holster. I was driving with my friend to NH for weekend of golf and he got stopped for speeding. I had my firearm and nobody knew except me. Although I was a little nervous because it was my first trip to NH with non-resident permit. [emoji846][emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Negative Ghost Rider....

Maine is NOT permitless, individuals (resident and non-resident) can still obtain Pistol Permits (or whatever they're called) if they so choose. This allows the holder to carry in some permitless restricted areas and removed the duty to notify (New with the [almost] Constitutional Carry law).

Constitutional Carry allows 21+ to carry without a permit, but requires notification to law enforcement upon ANY contact. Technically, if you say Hi to an officer, you are supposed to tell him you're carrying. Also, state parks and some other stuff is no-carry.

You can still get a Maine permit if you choose, and no duty to inform still applies

Edit: noxin beat me to it above

Last edited:
Negative Ghost Rider....

Maine is NOT permitless, individuals (resident and non-resident) can still obtain Pistol Permits (or whatever they're called) if they so choose. This allows the holder to carry in some permitless restricted areas and removed the duty to notify (New with the [almost] Constitutional Carry law).

Constitutional Carry allows 21+ to carry without a permit, but requires notification to law enforcement upon ANY contact. Technically, if you say Hi to an officer, you are supposed to tell him you're carrying. Also, state parks and some other stuff is no-carry.

Thank you for your post. As a NH neighbor, I followed this legislation very closely and this was my understanding of the law as well.

Back
Top Bottom