Do you think a 4x32 ACOG optic is to much magnification for CQB use?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I started a post last week about what optics would you choose if money was no object and got a lot of great answers. From that post I started looking at Trijicon and have found the TA31RCO-M4CP model to be very interesting.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=481

Interesting to the point that I'm seriously considering it as the optic of choice for my NES AR. (Second choice right now is the Trijicon TriPower that MassMark recommended) Ok, yes it's expensive, but it's specifically made for the M4 type carbine and also has a bullet drop compensator on it specifically for the 223 round for shots up to 800 meters. (Which I'll probably never use to it's fullest capacity)

My only thing though is that the optic starts with a 4x magnification. I'm not sure if that will work very well for a CQB type shooting. Say under 25 yards. I would think the magnification would be a hinderance at that point. Maybe I'm wrong.

What do you think? It's pretty expensive so I want to do my research before I even think of buying it.

Should not be a problem. I own an ACOG and have been around them for a few years now, I could not say enough good things about them. Do you have access to one? Try mounting it and see how it feels to aim with both eyes open at 25 yards. It's surprisingly natural even though one eye is looking through 4x magnification.

For me personally, I opted for the Tripower over the ACOG for that very reason. I tried to use a 4x for in close and personal and found it to be a not so good thing. I like the magnification-free Tripower, as it allows me quick target acquisition without having to fight through magnification at closer ranges. I have read about using a lens cover to eliminate this and use the ACOG for a CQB red dot. I'd like to one day perhaps invest in a magnifier on a LaRue pivot mount to put aft of the Tripower, but any AGOG joy would for me likely go on a rifle intended for medium ranges...

I personally find the magnification alittle to high for close quarters. But have seen some people use them for that purpose pretty effectively. Since your a member your best option would probably to find someone with one and ask them to bring it to a member shoot. Its a bit to much of an investment to buy one sight unseen

Yes, I would definitely like to try one first. Not sure how many people will have a $1200 optic though, but it's a good idea.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

I have a TA-33 (3X magnification). It takes work to get good with it at short ranges, especially with multiple targets or when you are moving. I had my first real experience with mine under those conditions in Dave Harringtons class. I need a lot more work with it, but feel like if I keep at it I will be OK with it up close. It is awesome to have once the distance opens up.

If you can shoot with both eyes open, you have a fighting chance with an ACOG at shorter range. I thought I was using both eyes to shoot with the scope, but when adding the stress of the class I was closing one. Dave pointed it out and I adjusted, and did better.

If I was to do it over again, I would strongly consider an Aimpoint with a magnifier. It gives you the best of both worlds. Just my .02, based on my limited experience.

rock, just so you know the optic you linked here is for the M16A4
there is the same optic but tuned for the shorter M4 carbine barrel length on the trijicon website (i ordered mine on saturday).

dont order the wrong one!

rock, just so you know the optic you linked here is for the M16A4
there is the same optic but tuned for the shorter M4 carbine barrel length on the trijicon website (i ordered mine on saturday).

dont order the wrong one!

Thanks Dench for the heads up. I'm still a ways from deciding and especially ordering, but if I do order this scope I'll need to make sure. If you don't mind me asking, who did you order yours through?

Rob, the JPoint looks like an excellent addition to the ACOG. It's just another $300 to augment a $1100 sight. Not to mention the extra for the mount [sad2]

Is Milford in your driving radius? I would let you try mine at Masspenock R&G if I ever get some time off from work.

Thanks for the offer Newenglandjeff. I'll take you up on that. I'm two towns over from Milford so meeting up shouldn't be a problem at all. Let me know when would be good for you.

Back
Top Bottom