Do you flinch/anticipate? How often?

Do you flinch? Anticipate?

• I can't control it, seems to happen a lot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite a bit, but when I concentrate I can usually control it a bit

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Moderate- I have good days and bad ones, occasional

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Very rarely

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Never... I feel bad for you guys.

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
I was reading some threads about problems with flinching. I realize there is subtle difference between flinching and anticipation but either cause POI not equal POA. I'm curious to see if some have this occationally and if some never have this problem (or think they don't).

Slow fire I usually don't. But when my focus gets tired, if I'm not used to a trigger (i.e. switching between a 1911 and a Sig), or just a bad day- I can anticipate sometimes (push down).

Fast fire I can occationally tend to yank the trigger.

I have a bit of a flinch when using rifles at least, when I was younger I fired a BB gun without putting the cocking lever back down (yes, it was VERY stupid) Needless to say, it did a number on all my fingers when it came down, I'm surprised it didn't break them! Still flinch a bit from that. I'm new to pistols so I'm still working on the flinch, when firing 9mm I'm flinching a bit, I think it's from the recoil/sound, but as I shoot more I tend to start to ignore it and get better shots off.

-Tom

I experience the problem on my S&W Airweight revolver - heavy trigger pull. I have it all the time when I'm tired - it's a good sign that it's quitting time on the range.

I used to flinch a lot. But after much concentration and practice I am getting much better and that is thanks to the many NES members that posted replys to my thread a few months ago. There are also a few cops who work in the same system I do that offered much advice. [smile]

I'm moderate. I don't know many people who can make a day of shooting steel butt plate milsurp rifles without the occasional flinch.[smile]

I voted moderate - only because it seems to vary with me weapon to weapon. Recently, I purchased a Smith and Wesson 642 and I noticed that I both flinch and anticipate. I've managed to get it to a point where I can make consistent hits in a torso-sized target, however my groups are all over the place.

I do not seem to have this problem with my ParaOrd 6.45, (that gun amazes me) and it seems to "come and go" with my G22.

Depends on the gun and circumstances. I don't do it most of the time but
I still catch myself flinching or overpulling occasionally.

When I shot pins today I did it at least twice with my 357
revolver. I had no flinches with my compensated pin gun, and maybe
one bad pull with my SW945. I find that I tend to flinch more often once
I've already commiitted an error- eg, if the quality output of my shooting goes
off the rails, then I lose concentration and trigger control goes down the
tubes as well. It is hard to ignore your mistakes and keep going; I was
glad that I was able to do that at least 50% of the time today.

-Mike

I have (2) major sins:

1) grabbing at a shot when I get the sight picture perfect, and end up jerking the trigger. This is more rare. I work to supress the urge. It's better if the sight picture is a little off and the trigger pull is correct.

2) regular old flinch. I just purchased my first .45 and I've been working to supress the flinch with it. Right now (after ~3 weeks with it) 1 out of 10 shots goes flying low and left due to flinch (~6" off the bull at 50 feet). I tend to squeeze my grip tighter just as the shot breaks. If I'm tired (toward the end of a range session) it can be worse.

One thing I've been doing is switching back and forth between .22/9mm and .45 after ~10-20 rounds so that I can check myself with a lighter round. I need to get some snap caps for the .45 also.

MAtt

Sorry guys....I don't flinch. I only flinched once. Right after I shot my .40 for the first time. By the time I was finished shooting the 1st box, I was okay with it.

Most of the time I have NO problem with it. (Though the guy beside me with a CAR-15 with a Muzzle-break might make me jump a bit)

But for some strange reason some days when I hit the range suddely a flinch is there with me. Next time I might be gone...

Vector had a nasty one for a little while when shooting his 686. We cured it by letting him burn through about 5 boxes of .22 in my 617.

So if yer getting a rifle flinch, get yourself a .22 and just burn through a brick of .22 in one sitting. Shoot slow and shoot for accuracy. Then when you are rock-steady with the .22 move up to somthing bigger.

You are always stronger than the gun...but you need to know this before the flinch is gone.

Best of luck!

-Weer'd Beard

I got rid of my flinch with the following kinds of practice.
if using a revolver leave a random cylinder empty, try not to pay attention to where it is, by spinning the cylinder when closing it, then when the gun doesn't go bang, watch what the sights do.

it's harder to be random with an autoloader, best to have someone else load the magazine for you, have them load some random blanks. I used to load a casing with a bullet, but no primer/powder, same thing, when the gun doesn't go bang watch to see what the sights do.

you'd be amazed at how much and where the wights jerk to when you hit a blank.

I flinch much more with a revolver than with an auto or a rifle, and even than only when I'm shooting DA. I think its the length of trigger pull and the fact that I can kinda feel what gun is doing. Since I don't carry a revolver or shoot in any type of target competition I have never given much thought to correction of the problem, but I think daveInME has probably got the right solution.

I notice it badly when firing the "bigger boom" guns.

My SuperBlackhawk really starts to hurt after more than 2 cylinders of full house magnums. I then switch to a SingleSix with .22lr (not the Magnum cylinder) until I "unlearn" the flinch.
When sighting in shotguns for deer season, after a few boxes of slugs, I notice my groups going south. Time for some aimed skeet loads from the same gun.
I try to get over my flinch using the same type of platform - .22 single action or really light shotgun loads. It helps me control the flinch on the gun that is giving me the problem.

As mentioned in another thread, I would flinch if I had POOR EAR PROTECTION. I would mostly flinch from the shooters on either side of me (concussion anticipation from Sound) and not so much from myself. I found that the FOAM EAR PLUGs, pushed as far in as possible (been known to lose a few) gave the best Sound protection. Being a Rifle Shooter, Mickey Mouse Ears got in the way on the stock or with the Kavalar. If I used Rubber Plugs, flinck almost all of the time. The cheap Foam worked the best, far better than even Mickey Mouse Ears.

Where did they end up??[rofl]

No joke, one time I had one go in too far, neither I nor my Wife could pull it out. I always carry needle-nose pliers and Kelly forceps in my gun cleaning/tool case and that is what I needed to use to get it out. Scary when that happens.

Back
Top Bottom