• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do they make these numbers up?

KMaurer said:
Second, there's the problem that shows up in the numbers from GOAL, as well as in several non-gun-related areas, such as household medications. Whenever there's some widely publicised "safety improvement" on a product, a significant fraction of the sheeple take this as a signal to stop using whatever common sense they've previously been exercising. For example, immediately after so-called child-proof caps were mandated on products such as aspirin, fatal poisonings of children from these products jumped to several times their pre-mandate levels. Why? Because a lot of parents assumed that kids couldn't get to the medicines and either stopped warning their kids about things in the medicine cabinet, stopped securing medicines in locations less accessible to children, or both.

Ken

My point exactly. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that sees it this way.

KMaurer said:
Second, there's the problem that shows up in the numbers from GOAL, as well as in several non-gun-related areas, such as household medications. Whenever there's some widely publicised "safety improvement" on a product, a significant fraction of the sheeple take this as a signal to stop using whatever common sense they've previously been exercising. For example, immediately after so-called child-proof caps were mandated on products such as aspirin, fatal poisonings of children from these products jumped to several times their pre-mandate levels. Why? Because a lot of parents assumed that kids couldn't get to the medicines and either stopped warning their kids about things in the medicine cabinet, stopped securing medicines in locations less accessible to children, or both.

Ken

KMaurer said:

Ken

"California continues to lead the nation in doing all it can to keep its citizens safe from gun violence," said Eric Gorovitz, Policy Director for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, the lead organizational sponsor behind S. 489. "By enacting laws like S. 489, California will show just how easy it is to prevent accidental shootings."

Aren't mag disconnects and loaded chamber indicators "safety" features? How to "safety" features stop handgun violence?
That statement says it all about their agenda. Nothing to do with safety.

"California continues to lead the nation in doing all it can to keep its citizens safe from gun violence," said Eric Gorovitz, Policy Director for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, the lead organizational sponsor behind S. 489. "By enacting laws like S. 489, California will show just how easy it is to prevent accidental shootings."

Aren't mag disconnects and loaded chamber indicators "safety" features? How to "safety" features stop handgun violence?

I've got pistols with and without the mag safety and I prefer it. It's nice to know that when I'm clearing the chamber AFTER removing the mag, it won't go bang. GLock might learn from this.

My 1911 is a little scary that way after having a gun with a mag safety for so long.

I like them but do not like any mandates.

I've got pistols with and without the mag safety and I prefer it. It's nice to know that when I'm clearing the chamber AFTER removing the mag, it won't go bang. GLock might learn from this.

My 1911 is a little scary that way after having a gun with a mag safety for so long.

TonyD said:
SnakeEye said:
i dont consider a magazine disconnect to be a safety feature. Quite the contrary.
its a personal requisite that any pistol i buy NOT have it.

I echo this sentiment. I will not own a firearm with a magazine disconnect.

Aw c'mon, guys. I can see your point, but how about a nice minty Belgian Browning HiPower? Worth making an exception for? They had mag disconnects...

TonyD said:
SnakeEye said:
i dont consider a magazine disconnect to be a safety feature. Quite the contrary.

Aw c'mon, guys. I can see your point, but how about a nice minty Belgian Browning HiPower? Worth making an exception for? They had mag disconnects...

TonyD said:
SnakeEye said:

Well, there's one of the infernal things on my ancient M1908 Colt Vest Pocket pistol, but that doesn't mean I'd choose to carry it.
The safety would be a welcome addition on a range were I an instructor teaching novices how to shoot.
OTherwise, no thanks.
JT

Well, there's one of the infernal things on my ancient M1908 Colt Vest Pocket pistol, but that doesn't mean I'd choose to carry it.
The safety would be a welcome addition on a range were I an instructor teaching novices how to shoot.
OTherwise, no thanks.
JT

OTherwise, no thanks.
JT

Emoto said:

I have no use for them, but remember that while the recent production HiPowers all have magazine disconnects, the tens of thousands made under various government contracts for different countries were a mixed bag. A lot have them, and a lot don't.

Ken

Emoto said:

I have no use for them, but remember that while the recent production HiPowers all have magazine disconnects, the tens of thousands made under various government contracts for different countries were a mixed bag. A lot have them, and a lot don't.

Ken

Emoto said:

Ken

KMaurer said:
Emoto said:

Ken

My Belgian Hi-Power did not.

KMaurer said:
Emoto said:

Ken

KMaurer said:
Emoto said:

Ken

TonyD said:
KMaurer said:
Emoto said:

Ken

So it was a police/military model? I thought all the civilian models came with them? (I could easily be wrong, though) Of course, an improved trigger feel led many to remove them...

TonyD said:
KMaurer said:
Emoto said:

Ken

So it was a police/military model? I thought all the civilian models came with them? (I could easily be wrong, though) Of course, an improved trigger feel led many to remove them...

TonyD said:
KMaurer said:
Emoto said:

Ken

To be honest...I haven't a clue as to whether or not I have magazine disconnects in any of my semi's. The ONLY safety I use is the gray cells. I don't care how many bells and whistles the gun has - I always treat every single one of them the same way. The mag comes out - the slide is racked back - and the chamber is checked. Period. Any safety on a firearm is a mechanical device. Mechanical devices can fail. I had a load indicator on my Walther - I never looked at it.

To be honest...I haven't a clue as to whether or not I have magazine disconnects in any of my semi's. The ONLY safety I use is the gray cells. I don't care how many bells and whistles the gun has - I always treat every single one of them the same way. The mag comes out - the slide is racked back - and the chamber is checked. Period. Any safety on a firearm is a mechanical device. Mechanical devices can fail. I had a load indicator on my Walther - I never looked at it.

Back
Top Bottom