• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Do they make these numbers up?

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
COALITION TO STOP GUN VIOLENCE HERALDS PASSAGE OF LANDMARK HANDGUN SAFETY BILL

Senator Jack Scott's SB 489 is first of its kind in nation; May lead to 24% reduction in accidental shootings

(Berkeley, CA) - The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence today heralded passage of SB 489 (Scott), which will make California the first state in the nation to require chamber load indicators and magazine disconnect devices on all newly designed semiautomatic handguns. The modifications could prevent as much as 24% of all unintentional shootings.

The measure, the first of its kind in the nation, now heads to Governor Gray Davis for signature.

"California continues to lead the nation in doing all it can to keep its citizens safe from gun violence," said Eric Gorovitz, Policy Director for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, the lead organizational sponsor behind S. 489. "By enacting laws like S. 489, California will show just how easy it is to prevent accidental shootings."

Under SB 489, all newly-designed, semiautomatic handguns offered for sale after 2006 must have either a magazine disconnect device or a chamber load indicator. By 2007, both devices will be required. Magazine disconnect devices prevent the firing of a round of ammunition that remains in the chamber if the magazine is removed. Chamber load indicators highlight the presence of a round in the firing chamber.

Right off of GOAL's site we see that before the safety features we forced on gun owners there was a accidental shooting in 1 out of every 27,521 gun owners. Now with the safety laws in place, it's at 1 out of every 9980 gun owners. I'm no statistician, but I do know that accidental shootings are up close to 3 times what they were before.

But hey what do I know, I'm only presenting cold hard facts.

Senator Jack Scott's SB 489 is first of its kind in nation; May lead to 24% reduction in accidental shootings

(Berkeley, CA) - The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence today heralded passage of SB 489 (Scott), which will make California the first state in the nation to require chamber load indicators and magazine disconnect devices on all newly designed semiautomatic handguns. The modifications could prevent as much as 24% of all unintentional shootings.

The measure, the first of its kind in the nation, now heads to Governor Gray Davis for signature.

"California continues to lead the nation in doing all it can to keep its citizens safe from gun violence," said Eric Gorovitz, Policy Director for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, the lead organizational sponsor behind S. 489. "By enacting laws like S. 489, California will show just how easy it is to prevent accidental shootings."

Under SB 489, all newly-designed, semiautomatic handguns offered for sale after 2006 must have either a magazine disconnect device or a chamber load indicator. By 2007, both devices will be required. Magazine disconnect devices prevent the firing of a round of ammunition that remains in the chamber if the magazine is removed. Chamber load indicators highlight the presence of a round in the firing chamber.

Right off of GOAL's site we see that before the safety features we forced on gun owners there was a accidental shooting in 1 out of every 27,521 gun owners. Now with the safety laws in place, it's at 1 out of every 9980 gun owners. I'm no statistician, but I do know that accidental shootings are up close to 3 times what they were before.

The problem with these laws is that the avarage person with a gun. People that have one gun in the house and never really touch it.

It allows them to be more complacent. So they become lax with their firearm because they think that nothing will happen because they have all these "safety" features.

But that's my two cents. I could be way off on this one.

The problem with these laws is that the avarage person with a gun. People that have one gun in the house and never really touch it.

It allows them to be more complacent. So they become lax with their firearm because they think that nothing will happen because they have all these "safety" features.

As an instructor, it's a hell of a lot easier to teach a student to remove the magazine and open and inspect the chamber than to teach the various different 'loaded chamber' methods that exist, or deal with all the issues of a Magazine Disconnect.

The only people in favor of these 'features' are those with an agenda or clueless people who have no idea what the features are all about.

As an instructor, it's a hell of a lot easier to teach a student to remove the magazine and open and inspect the chamber than to teach the various different 'loaded chamber' methods that exist, or deal with all the issues of a Magazine Disconnect.

The only people in favor of these 'features' are those with an agenda or clueless people who have no idea what the features are all about.

Why do they always have to create some mod for this stuff. If you follow your training there will not be an accident, instead of us humans assuming the role of responsibility they create a mod

Why do they always have to create some mod for this stuff. If you follow your training there will not be an accident, instead of us humans assuming the role of responsibility they create a mod

i dont consider a magazine disconnect to be a safety feature. Quite the contrary.
its a personal requisite that any pistol i buy NOT have it.

i dont consider a magazine disconnect to be a safety feature. Quite the contrary.

"...make California the first state in the nation to require chamber load indicators and magazine disconnect devices on all newly designed semiautomatic handguns."

What ignorant drivel. This is the same "safety" crap Jacques, Harshbarger, et al shoved down our throats YEARS ago.

"...make California the first state in the nation to require chamber load indicators and magazine disconnect devices on all newly designed semiautomatic handguns."

What ignorant drivel. This is the same "safety" crap Jacques, Harshbarger, et al shoved down our throats YEARS ago.

SnakeEye said:

I echo this sentiment. I will not own a firearm with a magazine disconnect.

SnakeEye said:

SnakeEye said:

Scrivener said:

940 CMR 16.05(3) only requires a chamber load indicator or magazine disconnect, not both.

Ken

Scrivener said:

940 CMR 16.05(3) only requires a chamber load indicator or magazine disconnect, not both.

Ken

Scrivener said:

Ken

My Ruger has a magazine disconnect. I think, if anything, it is way more likely to cause an accident. As regular habit dictates, before I put my guns up I inspect the chamber and then dry fire to be 100% certain that the gun is unloaded and empty. You can't fire the Ruger without a mag in. So even if I check the chamber if I accidentally put a magazine in that has a round in it well then won't that be a hell of a surprise. Of course I follow all basic safety rules regarding muzzle awareness, but it makes me worry anyway.

My Ruger has a magazine disconnect. I think, if anything, it is way more likely to cause an accident. As regular habit dictates, before I put my guns up I inspect the chamber and then dry fire to be 100% certain that the gun is unloaded and empty. You can't fire the Ruger without a mag in. So even if I check the chamber if I accidentally put a magazine in that has a round in it well then won't that be a hell of a surprise. Of course I follow all basic safety rules regarding muzzle awareness, but it makes me worry anyway.

The modifications could prevent as much as 24% of all unintentional shootings.

What they probably did was to look at some accident statistics and note that in 24% of the cases, somebody dropped a magazine and then assumed the gun was unloaded. They then pretend that the passage of their regulations would magically eliminate all these ND's. Of course they overlook two major factors that make their regs worthless at best and more likely counterproductive.

First, the regs only affect newly sold guns, whith represent a tiny fraction of the total stock of guns. As a result, the maximum reduction would be 24% of this tiny fraction, probably something on the order of 1%.

Second, there's the problem that shows up in the numbers from GOAL, as well as in several non-gun-related areas, such as household medications. Whenever there's some widely publicised "safety improvement" on a product, a significant fraction of the sheeple take this as a signal to stop using whatever common sense they've previously been exercising. For example, immediately after so-called child-proof caps were mandated on products such as aspirin, fatal poisonings of children from these products jumped to several times their pre-mandate levels. Why? Because a lot of parents assumed that kids couldn't get to the medicines and either stopped warning their kids about things in the medicine cabinet, stopped securing medicines in locations less accessible to children, or both.

Ken

What they probably did was to look at some accident statistics and note that in 24% of the cases, somebody dropped a magazine and then assumed the gun was unloaded. They then pretend that the passage of their regulations would magically eliminate all these ND's. Of course they overlook two major factors that make their regs worthless at best and more likely counterproductive.

First, the regs only affect newly sold guns, whith represent a tiny fraction of the total stock of guns. As a result, the maximum reduction would be 24% of this tiny fraction, probably something on the order of 1%.

Second, there's the problem that shows up in the numbers from GOAL, as well as in several non-gun-related areas, such as household medications. Whenever there's some widely publicised "safety improvement" on a product, a significant fraction of the sheeple take this as a signal to stop using whatever common sense they've previously been exercising. For example, immediately after so-called child-proof caps were mandated on products such as aspirin, fatal poisonings of children from these products jumped to several times their pre-mandate levels. Why? Because a lot of parents assumed that kids couldn't get to the medicines and either stopped warning their kids about things in the medicine cabinet, stopped securing medicines in locations less accessible to children, or both.

Ken

Ken

Back
Top Bottom