• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dicks still going down, but still going hard, update post 157

Just by walking through their doors you're f***ing their metrics. All major retailers worth their salt track customers coming and going and then calculate return on visit (return as in $) and conversion (turning a visiting customer into a sale).

By walking in the door and not buying anything you're lowering the ROV and conversion, if you buy something you increase conversion and alter ROV which is the average sale for the time period.

At staples our tracking system was so complicated it could effectively staff a store, it told us how many people to expect on a day, at what times, what products would be more in demand at said times (toner in the lunch rush, home ink after 5 for instance) and well, just about everything. The system mixed with our store planning as well so you could digitally map traffic patterns and use that information for advertising space.

But the take away here is simple- you can f*** with metrics just by walking in the door.

That must be confusing for stores that also serve as a mall entrance.

I passed by Dicks yesterday to get an expensive piece of gym equipment and continued past them over to Gym Source.

On May 2, 2018, the Federalist reported that Dick’s was paying lobbyists to pressure Congress to support more gun control.
...The company plans to raise prices in 2019. It says the higher prices are due to expenses incurred via President Trump’s tariffs on products made in China.

Yep. That’s the recipe to stepping on your own dick. It seems childish (like a kid breaking his favorite toy so he doesn’t have to share) of them to pay lobbyists to push for more gun control.

Last edited:
At staples our tracking system was so complicated it could effectively staff a store, it told us how many people to expect on a day, at what times, what products would be more in demand at said times (toner in the lunch rush, home ink after 5 for instance) and well, just about everything. The system mixed with our store planning as well so you could digitally map traffic patterns and use that information for advertising space.
Not to mention the feature that correlates employees with quantity and type of returns they process to look for fraud. They have a significant IT department.

I passed by Dicks yesterday to get an expensive piece of gym equipment and continued past them over to Gym Source.

There's a metric for that as well.

Bleep Dick's. Or is that Bleep Bleep's????

They don't care- conversion is your ability to convert a body to a customer. After about a year you get a solid average conversion rate and then you're fighting to improve last years numbers, the fact you are a path to someplace else is irrelevant.

It's always fun when your playing with other peoples money and don't give a shit how much of it you lose .
I'm surprised the investors aren't already suing him for his jock at this point.

Sad for the employees, but good to see.
I would hope that any of their employees with half a brain should have jumped ship at this point. Massive un-forced errors are, well, not good for business.

My 20 year old apprentice said that he fondled a shotty that he really wanted at a dicks a few months back, didn’t have the coin. Went into dicks last week with a pocket full of cash, with his entourage in tow as I guess 20 year olds do, and the gun counter was just f***ing gone, like it had never even been there. I guess it’s on me, I didn’t let him k ow dicks was persona-non-grata. Now he knows.

I would hope that any of their employees with half a brain should have jumped ship at this point. Massive un-forced errors are, well, not good for business.

My 20 year old apprentice said that he fondled a shotty that he really wanted at a dicks a few months back, didn’t have the coin. Went into dicks last week with a pocket full of cash, with his entourage in tow as I guess 20 year olds do, and the gun counter was just f***ing gone, like it had never even been there. I guess it’s on me, I didn’t let him k ow dicks was persona-non-grata. Now he knows.
I'd unfriend him just for shotty. But I've been told I'm some what judgemental.

Haha, help, never mind good help, is hard to find right now, and he does run back and forth to the truck pretty well, haha!! He is under 21 and does live in mass so I give him credit for wanting to buy a gun atleast.

Plus, if I fire him, I would have to clean my own truck and carry my own shit. F that!!

Haha, help, never mind good help, is hard to find right now, and he does run back and forth to the truck pretty well, haha!! He is under 21 and does live in mass so I give him credit for wanting to buy a gun atleast.

Plus, if I fire him, I would have to clean my own truck and carry my own shit. F that!!
I hear ya. It's a generational thing. Another gun owner is a good thing. Kudos for the kid being in a trade.

If they have announced 35 stores to be closed you can almost guarantee that they have another 35 or 70 that they are looking at closing down.

As they are large footprint big box, high rent stores, I’d also expect many of them to start closing down as their leases come up for renewal.

I can handle "shotty". I can't handle when people talk about bullets and call them "pills." "Yeah, that's a 38spl with a 125gr pill on top."

WTF,O???? What sort of heavy-assed, strange-shaped pills are you taking????

I can handle "shotty". I can't handle when people talk about bullets and call them "pills." "Yeah, that's a 38spl with a 125gr pill on top."

Aass Pils?

Aass-Pils-2.jpg

[grin]

A shotty is a gun that shoots between 8 and a billion pills, based on size of projectile, all at once via a usually plastic, but historically paper and/or brass cartridge. Shotty calibers are in gauges.

A shotty is a gun that shoots between 8 and a billion pills, based on size of projectile, all at once via a usually plastic, but historically paper and/or brass cartridge. Shotty calibers are in gauges.

So, a shotgun. Still two syllables, hardly a speech time saver.

If they have announced 35 stores to be closed you can almost guarantee that they have another 35 or 70 that they are looking at closing down.

Sorry, no; don't get your hopes up. If you actually read the actual article from 8 weeks ago, the "35 stores" are precisely the 35 stores of the hunting/fishing/camping Field & Stream subsidiary that Dick's established after buying the brand name from a clothier in 2012.

After Dick's motto became "Gunz R Bad", Field & Stream sales have slumped. They ought to be able to lop it off with the least disturbance to their core sporting goods business, since Field & Stream was created in the first place to sell different products than their traditional items.

We own this model .22LR target pistol:

wm_10629684.jpg

Its name in the household is "The Pez Dispenser".

Deal with it.

To each his own, but "shotty" is too "cute" for me. Yeah...no. Hate it. Also, I reluctantly add...

At least "pill" for "bullet" make some sense, since the word "pill" and "bullet" all come from the same language root. We can trace "pill" back at least as far as the Latin "pilula" and "bullet" from the Latin-derived French "boulette", both meaning "little ball". Also think of "pellet", coming from the same source. Interestingly, the Russian word for bullet is пуля.

To each his own, but "shotty" is too "cute" for me. Yeah...no. Hate it. Also, I reluctantly add...

At least "pill" for "bullet" make some sense, since the word "pill" and "bullet" all come from the same language root. We can trace "pill" back at least as far as the Latin "pilula" and "bullet" from the Latin-derived French "boulette", both meaning "little ball". Also think of "pellet", coming from the same source. Interestingly, the Russian word for bullet is пуля.

bvrwfpvehlrrqulwhxts.png

Well look at the big brain on Brett! LOL

Back
Top Bottom