• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dicks still going down, but still going hard, update post 157

Alex DeGarmo, the young man in this interview who quit Dick's, quit from the store that's 3/4 of a mile from me here in North Carolina. I hear he now works at a local EJW sporting goods store a half mile in the other direction. Here he is with Neil Cavuto back in March when this all went down.

insider.foxnews.com/2018/03/03/dicks-sporting-goods-employees-resign-over-new-gun-purchase-policy

Well-spoken young man. State President of the 2nd Amendment Institute

Fact is, gross profit margins on guns and ammo are quite small, much smaller than regular sports apparel and equipment.

But, as it's been said in multiple threads, a lot of people went to Dicks to get something for the kids for sports etc. and would buy some gun related stuff(ammo on sale etc.)

" We felt that was absolutely the right thing to do. We would do the same thing again if we had a mulligan, so to speak, to do it again."

Ya, but you don't get a mulligan dumbass .

" We felt that was absolutely the right thing to do. We would do the same thing again if we had a mulligan, so to speak, to do it again."

Ya, but you don't get a mulligan dumbass .

That's just doubling down on the stupid. I'm surprised there hasn't been a shareholders revolt.

But, as it's been said in multiple threads, a lot of people went to Dicks to get something for the kids for sports etc. and would buy some gun related stuff(ammo on sale etc.)
Six years of girls softball and soccer between my two daughters. I can't even BEGIN to count how much money I spent there. I'd shit in my pants now rather than walk through their store to get to the bathroom. Well, I wouldn't really, but you get the point.

I have seen that kind of CEO message. It’s like celebrating getting free legal opium! Yay that is awesome! And then trying to down play the whole 2 moths to live terminal cancer aspect.. Oh, and all the free ice cream you want too!

Nothing to see here all is great!

It’s not that we’re losing customers, it’s that we are necom8ng more exclusive to discriminating clients!

Some of it under their control?? How about 100%. Piss off a large % of your customers and they stop shopping there ALTOGETHER. Not just gun stuff or just hunting stuff. ALL stuff. They stop shopping.

In other words, reinvent F&S as REI or EMS. REI's business model is as a cooperative, and IIRC EMS has gone bankrupt once already.

I don't get EMS. I guess if I was climbing Everest or something, I'd shop there. Otherwise, I never see anything that I could use there. Maybe if they sold recliners or something.

Too many of these companies sell too much garbage at too high prices. A north face jacket at Dick's is what.... $149? I'm going on year 8 or 9 with the same Dickies jacket I bought at Walmart for $20
Granted, it's made in Sri Lanka or something, but so is the north face jacket.

I'd pay $129 to not have a jacket that says Dickies all over it. ;)

Nobody is going to push the CEO out. He controls over 60% of the voting stock.

"Get woke, go broke." After the incident I call The Pandering, gun sales dropped 80% at F&S. I said in March that I would not be surprised if Dick's got of the gun business completely. They crawled back up as people realized that Field & Stream had fair prices on a wide range of hunting rifles, shotguns and handguns. But Dick's has around 700 stores, and only 35 Field & Streams. Most of the F&S are in "combination stores" of around 100K square feet. The gun shop takes up less than 1/4 of a Field & Stream floor space. It would not be hard for the company to redefine that side of the store into a cheapo version of LLBean, which it already mostly is anyway, and profits would probably go up.

Fact is, gross profit margins on guns and ammo are quite small, much smaller than regular sports apparel and equipment.

If you piss off 25% of your customer base, they aren't just not shopping for gun and hunting. . . . THEY AREN'T SHOPPING AT ALL! It has less to do with the margins on guns and more to do with #-of-customers x average-sale-per-customer.

As I and others have said, this SJW CEO bullspit will stop right after Dicks' goes under. Sure, the Left will say that it's Amazon or something that took them out. But the truth is: If you are a company and you do something you don't agree with. . . . THAT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL, either quit your job and try and change teh law or STFU. Your duty is to your shareholders. Period.

I don't get EMS. I guess if I was climbing Everest or something, I'd shop there. Otherwise, I never see anything that I could use there. Maybe if they sold recliners or something.

I ride two-wheeled contraptions in the woods regularly, so they do have stuff useful to me. That said, my preference is either to support my LBS (like LGS but bikes), or if not, clickity-clickity brown truck, and in the latter case it's likely to be the best deal, shipping included, which usually isn't EMS.

I now push a cart randomly through dicks filling it with random items and abandoning it. Every time.

I do this at all kinds of stores. Oddly satisfying isn't it?...

I might stop in to Dicks soon. I got a random $10 voucher from them in the mail. I might go buy $9 worth of stuff just to cost them the money.

I was in Dick's-Nashua the other day...
...Passing through to get to the main concourse of the Mall.

Did use the head while I was there and double-flushed.
Write that up as a "Lost Sale"...

Just by walking through their doors you're f***ing their metrics. All major retailers worth their salt track customers coming and going and then calculate return on visit (return as in $) and conversion (turning a visiting customer into a sale).

By walking in the door and not buying anything you're lowering the ROV and conversion, if you buy something you increase conversion and alter ROV which is the average sale for the time period.

At staples our tracking system was so complicated it could effectively staff a store, it told us how many people to expect on a day, at what times, what products would be more in demand at said times (toner in the lunch rush, home ink after 5 for instance) and well, just about everything. The system mixed with our store planning as well so you could digitally map traffic patterns and use that information for advertising space.

But the take away here is simple- you can f*** with metrics just by walking in the door.

Back
Top Bottom