• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dicks still going down, but still going hard, update post 157

I hear ya. It's a generational thing. Another gun owner is a good thing. Kudos for the kid being in a trade.

Yup. Being his boss, you should take the kid to a real gun store, or a gun show. Make him wear some decent Carhartt's, like you're going to a "fancy job", then take him to look at some shotguns. Heck, if he's working real hard, maybe buy him one, or at least convince him to take it in place of pay or something. Gotta bring him into the world correctly.

Yup. Being his boss, you should take the kid to a real gun store, or a gun show. Make him wear some decent Carhartt's, like you're going to a "fancy job", then take him to look at some shotguns. Heck, if he's working real hard, maybe buy him one, or at least convince him to take it in place of pay or something. Gotta bring him into the world correctly.
I used to wear Carhartts. Blew them out in a year. Pay double for Duluth trading post. Went up a size returned old pair got new for free

I walked through a Dicks, went by the gun counter and looked like I was interested, worker asked if he could show me something. In my most discusting high crust voice I said... I only buy custom pistols and walked away

Discusting?? Glocktalk???? LOL

The lemmings who work at D-words are just lemmings. They didn't set policy or piss us off. Innocent bystanders.

Still very surprised the Board hasn't booted him.

There's no question that the bad press of selling the gun a killer used sucks. But quietly remove them, maybe?? Don't make a mega-stink that ISN'T going to bring in enough business to REPLACE the business you lost. I understand (but disagree) with the CEO's sentiment but his actions are NOT his own - they are for the good of the company not his feeeeeelings.

He controls nearly 2/3 of the shareholder votes. He can boot any board member he wants but not vice-versa.

I hate to say this, because I'd like to see evil leftists get what they deserve. But realistically, firearms were never that big a profit driver for them until they created Field & Stream, and there are only 35 of those stores in a 700-store chain. The store space taken up by an entire F&S firearms department is maybe 10K square feet of a 50K F&S store. It would be easy to repurpose that space into frankly higher-margin general sporting goods products. Guns and ammo are relatively low-margin and high operating costs.

On-line is not likely to kill them off either, as people like to try stuff on and impulse buy. There's a risk to buying sports clothing on-line, as I just suffered having to pay 17% return shipping cost to return some shirts to Amazon which don't fit.

There really is not anywhere else in the Worcester area that I know of where one can buy soccer cleats.

this idiot will drive Dicks into the ground just like every other sports retailer in the past 50 years. then he'll scoot along to some other cushy COE gig. the only ones who lose are all his poor employees who are forced to consider him "leadership".

I think if he's the son of the founder and still controls about 2/3 of the votes, it's more accurate in actual practice to regard him as the owner than as an example of a professional CEO. He is Dicks. Dicks is he.

I think if he's the son of the founder and still controls about 2/3 of the votes, it's more accurate in actual practice to regard him as the owner than as an example of a professional CEO. He is Dicks. Dicks is he.
Or is it HE'S a Dick.

this idiot will drive Dicks into the ground just like every other sports retailer in the past 50 years. then he'll scoot along to some other cushy COE gig. the only ones who lose are all his poor employees who are forced to consider him "leadership".

So called superior

watch in the next two quarter how many gun sport connected company leave them or refuse to sell to them , then watch how many times they delay their quarterly reports if it goes one full quarter of delay they are done and gone

REI is just starting to show the issues of dropping several of their top sellers that drove people to the stores , that have been scrambling to bring is cheap clones of those sales leaders

He controls nearly 2/3 of the shareholder votes. He can boot any board member he wants but not vice-versa.

I hate to say this, because I'd like to see evil leftists get what they deserve. But realistically, firearms were never that big a profit driver for them until they created Field & Stream, and there are only 35 of those stores in a 700-store chain. The store space taken up by an entire F&S firearms department is maybe 10K square feet of a 50K F&S store. It would be easy to repurpose that space into frankly higher-margin general sporting goods products. Guns and ammo are relatively low-margin and high operating costs.

On-line is not likely to kill them off either, as people like to try stuff on and impulse buy. There's a risk to buying sports clothing on-line, as I just suffered having to pay 17% return shipping cost to return some shirts to Amazon which don't fit.

Interesting. On the shareholder thingy. It's never a good idea to have total control. Always good to be beholden to someone. Sometimes you're the wrong guy for the job. Like Chris Kimball at America's Test Kitchen and Millard Fuller at Habitat for Humanity. Both relinquished control, went way-left and got tossed from their jobs. (I loved CK on ATK. Him on his own show?? He sounds bitter and arrogant. While I'm not a huge fan of the two yentas running ATK TV now, at least the recipes are great.)

As far as sales, you piss off the gun owners, you've pissed off people who buy hunting stuff there. That buy fishing stuff there. That buy golf stuff there. That buy clothing there. That buy sneakers and boots there.

I think there was a better way that would have accomplished the same goal and not pissed off a % of their customers. This, plus their loss of Reebok as a clothing line, will hurt them pretty good. Plus Amazon and other online retailers are probably taking a % all the time as well.

The only gun thing I ever bought was a double-pack of .22 ammo right around Sandy Hook. I think right before it. They had a sale. I walked in and bought it. Hadn't before. Haven't since.

There really is not anywhere else in the Worcester area that I know of where one can buy soccer cleats.

Pssst.... there is this thing called the internet.

1. We want to check different shoes and sizes. I can't have my kid stand up in the shoes and walk around to see if they are comfortable using the Internet!

2. I do NOT want to have to return something.

3. I abhor shopping on the Internet. I have a "add to cart" in Amazon I've been waiting on for months. I really don't trust anyone or anything. I hate it.

4. I looked, and prices are actually better at Dick's. YOU tell my wife to spend more money on something we can't see or try on first, and might have to ship back, and YOU pay the difference!

Last edited:
1. We want to check different shoes and sizes. I can't have my kid stand up in the shoes and walk around to see if they are comfortable using the Internet!

3. I abhor shopping on the Internet. I have a "add to cart" in Amazon I've been waiting on for months. I really don't trust anyone or anything. I hate it.

4. I looked, and prices are actually better at Dick's. YOU tell my wife to spend more money on something we can't see or try on first, and might have to ship back, and YOU pay the difference!

Your first two points are pretty valid but you turn into a trainwreck around #3.

That said, I wouldn't be buying shoes online either. And the only time I buy clothes online is if I'm buying a dupe/extra/etc of something I already have.

-Mike

Last edited:

Your first two poitns are pretty valid but you turn into a trainreck around #3.

That said, I wouldn't be buying shoes online either. And the only time I buy clothes online is if I'm buying a dupe/extra/etc of something I already have.

-Mike

You two yutes didn't remember my earlier post. Use Dick's to fit for the correct brand/size and I guarantee you'll find it on the web at a cheaper price. If it's from Amazon, you also get to support Comm2A.

Back
Top Bottom