Dicks disclosure form

I just bought a 10/22 from Dick's and, aside from the usual MA FA10 etc, they have their own form. It's basically a disclosure that says guns can be dangerous if misused, acknowladges you got a lock with it etc. No real problem other then the line 'How many children do you have under age 18 at home'.

THAT pissed me off. I left it blank. I know there will be some here that will tell me I should have walked away etc - and I thought about it - but the background check call had already been made, the rest of the paperwork was done and I wanted the gun. Had someone questioned me about it being blank or tried to force the issue I WOULD have walked.

I did send a letter to corporate about it.

That's the sort of question I tend not to leave blank. My typical answer would be "None of your %#@!ng business," only without the self-censorship.

Ken

Letter to corporate is the best you can do ... if they had already called it in I would have done the same thing and just left it blank. It would certainly aggrivate me though.

Grats on the new purchase - everyone should have atleast 1 10/22 if not 3 :)

When I fill that form out, my number of kids under 18 varies. Somewhere between 6-12. No one has ever caught it.

They ask you about the safe operation and lock for their own protection but kids under 18, no way would I answer anymore than they showed me how to use the weapon and provided a lock.

i don't know how many kids i got. i'd have to get paternity tests first. [rofl]

EDIT: I don't recall seeing such form when I got my Mossberg 702 there. I'd have to look, but it was sometime last year. is this a new form or policy?

No real problem other then the line 'How many children do you have under age 18 at home'.

THAT pissed me off. I left it blank.

I wouldn't have left it blank. They'll assume 0 and go on with their business. I would have written 'None of your f*$7ing business." (Uncensored of course).

Just leave it blank, or enter a witty remark ...........

I'm more bothered by all the personal info they want from me when I buy cold medicine at the drug store.

What does the Patriot Act have to do with cold medicine? The reason that those regulations were put in place is because amphetamines can be made from the drugs.

Bass Pro has something similar, but I can't remember if it has anything about children in home.

It's just window dressing.

I wouldn't have left it blank either. I wouldn't have used vulgarity but something to the effect, "decline to answer". 1. They'll assume zero or 2. Some paper pusher who collects the forms might fill something in. Never leave fields on credit applications, government permit applications, etc. blank.

What does the Patriot Act have to do with cold medicine? The reason that those regulations were put in place is because amphetamines can be made from the drugs.

You aren't a patriot if you don't provide all your information to the stores!

Yes, our wonderful Patriot Act. Catching all the terrorists who buy cold medicine [rolleyes]

It has nothing to do with terrorism, as it was a rider to the Patriot Act. It's actually called the "Combat Meth Epidemic Act". Not that it really will effect meth production. The resourceful meth lab operators will just find either another ingredient or another source. Just another attempt to stop crime by banning an inanimate object.

no no no. Those regulations were put in place by a nanny-state government thinking that they can actually make a difference by drafting ridiculous legislation.

It has nothing to do with terrorism, as it was a rider to the Patriot Act.

Yes, I know. I was being sarcastic. It was actually a rider to the Patriot Act renewal. But, regardless of the fact that the law is useless for it's intended purpose, what does the Patriot Act have to do with keeping kids from making meth? Nothing, they just knew they'd get it passed because nobody was going to vote against the Patriot Act renewal.

Last edited:
Yes, I know. I was being sarcastic. It was actually a rider to the Patriot Act renewal. But, regardless of the fact that the law is useless for it's intended purpose, what does the Patriot Act have to do with keeping kids from making meth? Nothing, they just knew they'd get it passed because nobody was going to vote against the Patriot Act renewal.

Which is pretty standard legislative procedure. Very often riders are added to bills for exactly the reason you state. I don't like it, especially when some pork gets added to a must pass bill. Just another of the many things I don't like about the legislative process, including most of the legislators.

Back
Top Bottom