Desert Eagle Megathread…

Not my experiences. "limp wristing" I tested and found to be false IMO. I do agree that it's obviously a good idea to maintain a consistent firm grip as there is a LOT of upper mass action reciprocating. After extensive handload testing my conclusion is that the DE's gas system need a very specific window of gas pressure and volume to allow the action to function reliably. Basically in the nutshell, too little gas = action short stroking, while excessive pressure = slide locking open after each shot.

(3) reloading for the DE44, my data and findings - The Desert Eagle (tapatalk.com)

@andrew1220 , in all seriousness if money is at all any type of a concern, don't buy a DE. They are simply high end wrist candy (that are admittedly just a ton of fun to shoot). Your looking at a minimum of $1600 (new) to sit in your safe. I paid $1725 new for my brushed chrome back in 2015. I doubt you will find a "deal" on a used one either as they are pretty rare or "unpopular". If you want to "try before you buy" PM me and we can meet at my gun club and you can try mine and make the best decision for you. Impulse buying a DE may be a big mistake, or it may not. Prior to buying my DE44 a fellow gun club friend let me try his DE50 and that was all it took . Smacking 10" steel gongs with a DE puts a huge grin on your face for sure, but also like I commented prior also empties your wallet as fast as the mags !
Very good info. I would hope my reloads are warm enough to cycle the DE since I use H110 powder.
Yes definitely let me know next time you hit the range. Where do you shoot?

That's backwards though. First they made the pistol, then developed the 50AE for it. The Mark 1 came in 357 and 44.
Yup. Was going to post this point.
And to the poster who suggested a 44 rather than .50AE for the grip size, the frame is the same. Only the top end gets swapped. The Mk I, and Mk VII have a slightly smaller barrel/bolt than the latest generation hence the reason I had to get a whole top end.

BTW, the 3 generations are distinguished by the features, no markings on the gun to indicate what "Mark " they are.

Very good info. I would hope my reloads are warm enough to cycle the DE since I use H110 powder.
Yes definitely let me know next time you hit the range. Where do you shoot?

If you read my taptalk post #5 you will see that I actually moved away from H110 . I ended up loading with 2400. I'm guessing that 2400 has a slightly better burn speed than H110 that the DE's gas system responds more favorably.

As for shooting, i'm a member at Pelham F&G .

Last edited:
If you read my taptalk post #5 you will see that I actually moved away from H110 . I ended up loading with 2400. I'm guessing that 2400 has a slightly better burn speed that H110 that the DE's gas system responds more favorably.

As for shooting, i'm a member at Pelham F&G .
Dang. Well considering all of my 44 mag reloads are loaded with H110, this has me reconsidering the DE.....hmm

Cast bullets work great in a lot of guns if done properly but the premise of this idea in this case is dumb. Even buying commercial jacketed 44 mag bullets the reloading payback on this gun is huge, flinting to that degree is kind of unnecessary. Jacketed .44 mag is not that expensive to handload vs paying like $1 a shot (or more) for full commercial right now. The payoff on big wheelgun calibers is huge on reloading even without involving cast bullets.
The DE is a gas gun. I don't like using cast bullets in gas guns.

My only encounter with a DE was at the old S&W range. Guy in the lane next to me was shooting one and every time he pulled the trigger it felt like someone slapped me in the face. Made my teeth hurt! Impressive muzzle flash too.

My only encounter with a DE was at the old S&W range. Guy in the lane next to me was shooting one and every time he pulled the trigger it felt like someone slapped me in the face. Made my teeth hurt! Impressive muzzle flash too.

That might be primarily the muzzle brake. I imagine it’s louder to someone left or right on the firing line than unbraked rifle with even more muzzle energy.

Does the 44 come with tiger stripes?
bxcTy4I.gif

Funny story similar to yours , I also have a 12" 460XVR S&W mag and the one and only time I brought it to Bob's indoor shooting range in Salisbury MA , (I called ahead and specifically asked if 460 mags are allowed, they said yes) . All the lanes were occupied and I was in lane #1 against the concrete wall. When I started sending shots down range it literally shook the building (Bobs range is kinda small) . The violent muzzle blast was INSANE , even wearing double hearing protection still caused ringing in my ears. The range went silent and I literally had a crowd of people behind me laughing and giving me "thumbs up" when I was done. I also got spoken to by the staff asking me very politely to refrain from bringing back my 460. Honest this is a true story ! DSCF0028.jpg

Funny story similar to yours , I also have a 12" 460XVR S&W mag and the one and only time I brought it to Bob's indoor shooting range in Salisbury MA , (I called ahead and specifically asked if 460 mags are allowed, they said yes) . All the lanes were occupied and I was in lane #1 against the concrete wall. When I started sending shots down range it literally shook the building (Bobs range is kinda small) . The violent muzzle blast was INSANE , even wearing double hearing protection still caused ringing in my ears. The range went silent and I literally had a crowd of people behind me laughing and giving me "thumbs up" when I was done. I also got spoken to by the staff asking me very politely to refrain from bringing back my 460. Honest this is a true story !View attachment 427674
Beautiful gun. Might be my next revolver.

Although I might go for the 7" barrel. I dont know yet, depends if I want to shoot it past 100 yards.

Beautiful gun. Might be my next revolver.

Although I might go for the 7" barrel. I dont know yet, depends if I want to shoot it past 100 yards.

I've shot my 460 out to 200 meters and it's a REAL challenge as you need a SUPER steady hold to obtain a clean sight picture through the optic. 100 yds is more easily do-able. In hindsight I kinda wished i'd gone with the 8-3/8" bbl length as I also have a TC Encore pistol in .243 Win for better suited 100-200 yds precision. I now mostly shoot my 460 offhand <50 yds and the 12" version is very muzzle heavy. If you're serious and you think you want a 12" 460 PM me and i'd be interested in selling mine, and finding a 8-3/8" model.

Someone please talk me out of buying a Desert Eagle in 44 mag and help my wallet[laugh]

I've literally never held or shot one but I've got a ton of 44 mag ammo (since I reload) and I thought it would be a nice addition to my DW revolver and Henry lever gun?? I just feel like I would enjoy shooting it but maybe I'm wrong?

So are the certain models/versions to look for? Are the older IMI/IWI (made in Israel) desert eagles better than the Magnum Research (made in USA)?? How do the triggers/reliability compare among the different versions? I'm hearing that the older models had consistent 2 stage triggers that were nice?

I suspect I won't even find one (especially at a price I like) so this whole discussion might be moot[laugh]

I will only buy one in brushed or polished chrome or SS. I have no interest in the black/nitride finishes. I wouldn't be opposed to the titanium gold if the price was right[laugh]

If you're still debating, check out the classifieds

Back
Top Bottom