Desert Eagle Megathread…

Someone please talk me out of buying a Desert Eagle in 44 mag

why would I want to do that. Well the only way, would be to tell you to buy one in 357. Don’t know why, think it’s a more fun round.

And if you can’t find either, I say get a Ruger Alaskan. Zero use unless you live or are going into the back country of AK, but fvckin cool none the less.

Read post #5. The clogging issue was interesting, there are a few threads online covering this.

I read a few issue about the same thing but it seems like with anything else dealing with cast that there’s a way to get it done and the most important thing is make sure your ammo works before putting 1000 rounds down the bore.

why would I want to do that. Well the only way, would be to tell you to buy one in 357. Don’t know why, think it’s a more fun round.

And if you can’t find either, I say get a Ruger Alaskan. Zero use unless you live or are going into the back country of AK, but fvckin cool none the less.

I have gone back and forth so many times on the Alaskan... useless for me to have but so freakin cool. Someday lol.

Read post #5. The clogging issue was interesting, there are a few threads online covering this.

Shooting cast garbage through a $1900 semiautomatic, gas operated handgun is still the height of skinflinting though... that juice isn't worth the squeeze. I bet someone at MRI would say "not only no, but f*** no". There are plenty places to skinflint w/ cast bullets, this isn't one of them.
Buy it and try it! If you dont like it, flip it! Win win!
There is no win here, if you flip this and make out on the back end you're taking someone for a ride. These guns are pure albatross class, if you buy one you better just plan on keeping it.

Shooting cast garbage through a $1900 semiautomatic, gas operated handgun is still the height of skinflinting though... that juice isn't worth the squeeze. I bet someone at MRI would say "not only no, but f*** no". There are plenty places to skinflint w/ cast bullets, this isn't one of them.

There is no win here, if you flip this and make out on the back end you're taking someone for a ride. These guns are pure albatross class, if you buy one you better just plan on keeping it.
See I feel like that’s a total rip on poor castbbullets. They don’t get the credit they deserve. Like I said in the last post cast get a bad reputation from poorly loaded ammo.
No reason you can’t run cast or coated and get great results.
Sometimes the ability to load ammo puts the $1900 pistol on the map for people.
I wouldn’t buy a DE more so because of ammo cost.
A lot of the time the ammo costs more than the pistol especially if you’re not some sally that shoots it once a year.
Maybe I’m a closet skinflint, maybe I like the idea of shooting 10:1 vs buying bullets and playing with the load and alloy to make it run right.

See I feel like that’s a total rip on poor castbbullets. They don’t get the credit they deserve. Like I said in the last post cast get a bad reputation from poorly loaded ammo.
No reason you can’t run cast or coated and get great results.
Sometimes the ability to load ammo puts the $1900 pistol on the map for people.
I wouldn’t buy a DE more so because of ammo cost.
A lot of the time the ammo costs more than the pistol especially if you’re not some sally that shoots it once a year.
Maybe I’m a closet skinflint, maybe I like the idea of shooting 10:1 vs buying bullets and playing with the load and alloy to make it run right.
Cast bullets work great in a lot of guns if done properly but the premise of this idea in this case is dumb. Even buying commercial jacketed 44 mag bullets the reloading payback on this gun is huge, flinting to that degree is kind of unnecessary. Jacketed .44 mag is not that expensive to handload vs paying like $1 a shot (or more) for full commercial right now. The payoff on big wheelgun calibers is huge on reloading even without involving cast bullets.

Personally I would buy one in the caliber it was made for 50ae. 44mag can be run through so many other guns. Resale would be better on 50.
But do what you want with your money. Does the 44 come with tiger stripes?

The one I owned came with both barrels. That's the way to go, IMO. The swap really is as easy as advertised. All you need are different mags.

Didn't know the swap was that easy. Well then op do whatever but buy both caliber conversion

Gotta add, though, that I think it's a little more involved to go to .357. Others know more, but I think there's something you have to do with the bolt on that one. The swap I'm talking about is from .44 mag to .50 AE.

Cast bullets work great in a lot of guns if done properly but the premise of this idea in this case is dumb. Even buying commercial jacketed 44 mag bullets the reloading payback on this gun is huge, flinting to that degree is kind of unnecessary. Jacketed .44 mag is not that expensive to handload vs paying like $1 a shot (or more) for full commercial right now. The payoff on big wheelgun calibers is huge on reloading even without involving cast bullets.
I get what you’re saying but I think the premise is the same really based off the cartridge more so than the gun.

If you were talking 6.5 Creedless or something damn hard to use cast Bullet for or something used for long distance precision shooting.

The DE is used for plinking and showing off how small your penis is (sorry OP) 😂😁

I think as long as it works then why not?

You are right about reloading though. I think anyone who wants to spend $1 a pop on plinking ammo is crazy. If you own one of the big bore guns you should be reloading.
That being said there are a lot of guys that think they’re big shooters and put a handful of rounds through the gun a year. They think reloading is not worth the startup cost.

Not everyone has shot out a 500 S&W to the point of needing a rebuild 5 times (@EddieCoyle )

I get what you’re saying but I think the premise is the same really based off the cartridge more so than the gun.

If you were talking 6.5 Creedless or something damn hard to use cast Bullet for or something used for long distance precision shooting.

The DE is used for plinking and showing off how small your penis is (sorry OP) 😂😁

I think as long as it works then why not?

You are right about reloading though. I think anyone who wants to spend $1 a pop on plinking ammo is crazy. If you own one of the big bore guns you should be reloading.
That being said there are a lot of guys that think they’re big shooters and put a handful of rounds through the gun a year. They think reloading is not worth the startup cost.

Not everyone has shot out a 500 S&W to the point of needing a rebuild 5 times (@EddieCoyle )
Small penis?? Think thats funny? When op throws his desert eagle into is lifted Chevy with super swampers. . Whos gonna have the last laugh?

If you end up getting one please don't post about how great it is, my wallet can't take it! I have a 629 and a DW 744VH. I've been looking at one of the .44 Henry's now that they have the side loading gate, and of course... eventually, a Desert Eagle. Something about .44 I just love.

I threw a scope, a comp and a 10 inch barrel on the DW. If I bought a Desert Eagle, it sure as hell wouldn't be because of "practicality." I think the DW needs a swivel stud now for a bi-pod!

You run a beast of a DW too. If its just a way to flex at the range, and fun, then screw it. Get the DE. Just 'cause. Screw the haters.

I'll give you my .02. Don't get a .50 if you have small hands. I have small hands and when I shoot one it comes more than half way out of my hands. I've shot a .44 Mag and it's not so bad. I'd still rather shoot my Super Blackhawk than a Desert Eagle, but that is still small hand related.
I have large hands with long fingers so I think the DE will fit my hand fairly well. I have to use extra wide grip panels on my CZ comp guns because otherwise I have no room for my support hand lol.

failure to cycle is caused by limp wristing the majority of the time in my experience. You need to support it with your right hand to insure the force goes into cycling the slide and with your left hand to insure that the rotating bolt (yes, just like an AR) does not result in the entire gun turning counter clockwise and ejecting the round directly into your forehead (and then failing to complete the cycle). As long as you use full power ammo they are pretty reliable for a large caliber toy gun.

Not my experiences. "limp wristing" I tested and found to be false IMO. I do agree that it's obviously a good idea to maintain a consistent firm grip as there is a LOT of upper mass action reciprocating. After extensive handload testing my conclusion is that the DE's gas system need a very specific window of gas pressure and volume to allow the action to function reliably. Basically in the nutshell, too little gas = action short stroking, while excessive pressure = slide locking open after each shot.

(3) reloading for the DE44, my data and findings - The Desert Eagle (tapatalk.com)

@andrew1220 , in all seriousness if money is at all any type of a concern, don't buy a DE. They are simply high end wrist candy (that are admittedly just a ton of fun to shoot). Your looking at a minimum of $1600 (new) to sit in your safe. I paid $1725 new for my brushed chrome back in 2015. I doubt you will find a "deal" on a used one either as they are pretty rare or "unpopular". If you want to "try before you buy" PM me and we can meet at my gun club and you can try mine and make the best decision for you. Impulse buying a DE may be a big mistake, or it may not. Prior to buying my DE44 a fellow gun club friend let me try his DE50 and that was all it took . Smacking 10" steel gongs with a DE puts a huge grin on your face for sure, but also like I commented prior also empties your wallet as fast as the mags !

Back
Top Bottom