Desert Eagle Megathread…

Didn't know there were conversions available. If someone had the .50 already, I'd get the .357 for less expensive ammo. The .50 does everything the .44 can do and then some.
If I do end up getting a DE, I’ll probably eventually get the 357 barrel since I’ve got tons of 357 ammo too

damn, i also seem to drowning in 44 mag components and ammo... been looking for a nice lever but maybe this is the answer. Go for it!!!

Get it in 44 and also get one in 50. Problem solved.

I shot a friends DE50 years ago. It was a fun gun to shoot and I didn't have to pay for ammo. It actually shot well and didn't have any problems cycling.

I have thought about getting one, but I'm torn if I really want the gold tiger striped one or not. it's such an obnoxious gun anyway, why not go all out?

damn, i also seem to drowning in 44 mag components and ammo... been looking for a nice lever but maybe this is the answer. Go for it!!!

something like that is what i would like to get next.

If I do end up getting a DE, I’ll probably eventually get the 357 barrel since I’ve got tons of 357 ammo too
Don’t go 357. First I believe you will find that you can convert between 44 and 50 with one gun but that 357 is a different gun entirely. 357 seems to not be as reliable at least with factory ammo. Since you reload it will work out but you need really hot ammo for reliable cycling with 357. 44 and 50 are great but 357 not so much.

Best if it says "Poyint Foive Oh" on it. Definitely don't want it saying R-E-P-L-I-C-A.

I had one. I was surprised, for the price, how gritty the trigger was.

Don’t go 357. First I believe you will find that you can convert between 44 and 50 with one gun but that 357 is a different gun entirely. 357 seems to not be as reliable at least with factory ammo. Since you reload it will work out but you need really hot ammo for reliable cycling with 357. 44 and 50 are great but 357 not so much.
Good to know! Thanks Randy

I got one in 44Mag for the same reasons and since the 500S&W came out the 50AER seemed, well, kind of runner-up.

What has been said about the reliability is a function of keeping it clean and the recoil springs. Don't use dirty powder and expect to change the springs every 400-500 rounds (~$50 ish for an entire spring kit but you really only need the recoil springs). It is almost 7 pounds and nearly indestructible. Magnum Research will always work on it if you need albeit for a cost.

If it warms up next week I can be convinced to meet at HSC for a shooting day. And you can pretend you are Agent Smith because you will feel like this after shooting it:

View: https://youtu.be/iNkrF43SZEU

Attachments

• 1608731756853.png
    1608731756853.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 3
I say go for it. Everybody needs to have a friend that has one. With what you already have for a neat gun array, why not be that friend? That and the fact I know you'll actually shoot it. I'd stick with .44 mag. I think .460S&W and 500 S&W both have more to offer than 50AE.
That all being said. Always looking for a friend that has a DE to shoot their gun. Though I feel like you have bad juju and I'd be risking my life shooting your gun. ;)
Everybody is talking about tiger stripe gold and case hardened. You need the pimp gat if there ever was a chance.
1608732712978.png

Last edited:
I got one in 44Mag for the same reasons and since the 500S&W came out the 50AER seemed, well, kind of runner-up.

What has been said about the reliability is a function of keeping it clean and the recoil springs. Don't use dirty powder and expect to change the springs every 400-500 rounds (~$50 ish for an entire spring kit but you really only need the recoil springs). It is almost 7 pounds and nearly indestructible. Magnum Research will always work on it if you need albeit for a cost.

If it warms up next week I can be convinced to meet at HSC for a shooting day. And you can pretend you are Agent Smith because you will feel like this after shooting it:

Thanks for chiming in Ray. Some helpful information there. Interesting that you need to change the recoil springs that often but then again we’re talking about a lot of energy here.
I only use H110 powder hopefully that’s ok. I I do get the usual unburnt powder but it sounds like I just need to be religious about cleaning which I am anyway.
And definitely keep me posted on a range trip I would be very grateful for the offer

How far does it eject brass and does it destroy the brass or? My Coonan would eject brass 30 to 40 feet away which was a pain in the ass

How far does it eject brass and does it destroy the brass or? My Coonan would eject brass 30 to 40 feet away which was a pain in the ass

Not really the brass stays pretty close IIRC and it doesn't hurt the brass either. I've even shot some 300gr that were pretty hot with no adverse effects on the casings. It's just plain fun.

Not really the brass stays pretty close IIRC and it doesn't hurt the brass either. I've even shot some 300gr that were pretty hot with no adverse effects on the casings. It's just plain fun.
Awesome 😎

i had one in 357, after first shooting one 20 years ago and always wishing i owned one. got a good deal on it, put about 100 rounds through it, tons of cycling issues that had nothing to do with limp wrist-ing, but more to do with power in the round. i thought well now all i need is a lars grizzly to complete my auto loading 357 mag collection. occaisionally would bring it out with coonan and friends would shoot it, and like me, felt it was a great movie gun, but lacks at the range. about a year later i put it up here on nes for a little more then i paid, and sold it. DE itch has been scratched and no more itching....

PS - can't wait for the " does this seem normal to you, i may have broken my DE 44mag" post

i had one in 357, after first shooting one 20 years ago and always wishing i owned one. got a good deal on it, put about 100 rounds through it, tons of cycling issues that had nothing to do with limp wrist-ing, but more to do with power in the round. i thought well now all i need is a lars grizzly to complete my auto loading 357 mag collection. occaisionally would bring it out with coonan and friends would shoot it, and like me, felt it was a great movie gun, but lacks at the range. about a year later i put it up here on nes for a little more then i paid, and sold it. DE itch has been scratched and no more itching....

I did pretty much the same with a 44mag DE but I had no cycling issues at all with it. I was telling Andrew I can't remember if I shot it more than once before I put it away for years and then sold it here when I dug it out. It was fun to scratch the itch and then I was done with it.

I had one in 357 mag. It was fun to shoot but it was very finicky with ammo. It would only cycle very stiff 158gr 357. It would jam everything else and it wasn’t a limp wrist issue.

The one thing to know is that they get dirty as hell with the direct blow back system. Gets dirtier then an AR.

20200730_172435-jpg.419496

7Ga4.gif
Have not seen that one in a while

I shot one once and my impressions are: it's a large gun, it was accurate and 100% reliable and it was the mildest shooting .44 magnum I've ever fired. I was shooting full power factory ammo.

I say go for it. Everybody needs to have a friend that has one. With what you already have for a neat gun array, why not be that friend? That and the fact I know you'll actually shoot it. I'd stick with .44 mag. I think .460S&W and 500 S&W both have more to offer than 50AE.
That all being said. Always looking for a friend that has a DE to shoot their gun. Though I feel like you have bad juju and I'd be risking my life shooting your gun. ;)
Everybody is talking about tiger stripe gold and case hardened. You need the pimp gat if there ever was a chance.
View attachment 426398
300px-I_Am_Never_Gonna_Financially_Recover_From_This.jpg

[rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

If you get a Mark XIX (released in 2018), you can convert the same frame between .50 AE, .44 Mag, and .357 Mag. The 357 requires a different bolt along with the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom