Desert Eagle Megathread…

I had a DE in .44 many years ago. It was fun for a while, not practical, but fun. One issue I had was that you need to shoot only Jacketed ammo, I had an issue with lead deposits that jammed the gun and I couldn't pull the slide back with a round chambered. Was a real PITA at the time. And it had to have a large enough load to push the slide back, otherwise it had loading issues. Back when I got mine it was a 5 or 600 gun new, not sure I'd make the investment on it now. But of course, I sure wish I had not sold it years ago as it's worth quite a bit more now :)

if I was going to get a .44 today, it would be a nice revolver.

Get it

I love mine, I picked up a like new black nitride version with a laser device module for an awesome price. I bought a spring tune up kit and never had a malfunction with box ammo.

I personally just love the round and had a astra terminator revolver (like in dusk until dawn). It needed an semi auto companion and it fits the bill for me. I never cared for 50 ae, that’s niche round for me and just never cared of spending $3.00 a round.

I just love .44 mag as my man Callahan

Get it

I love mine, I picked up a like new black nitride version with a laser device module for an awesome price. I bought a spring tune up kit and never had a malfunction with box ammo.

I personally just love the round and had a astra terminator revolver (like in dusk until dawn). It needed an semi auto companion and it fits the bill for me. I never cared for 50 ae, that’s niche round for me and just never cared of spending $3.00 a round.

I just love .44 mag as my man Callahan
Awesome!! I’m a huge 44 mag fan also. Though I probably like 357 mag slightly more but I agree on the 50 AE cost. I have no desire for that. Even if you reload it’s still expensive as shit.

I had a DE in .44 many years ago. It was fun for a while, not practical, but fun. One issue I had was that you need to shoot only Jacketed ammo, I had an issue with lead deposits that jammed the gun and I couldn't pull the slide back with a round chambered. Was a real PITA at the time. And it had to have a large enough load to push the slide back, otherwise it had loading issues. Back when I got mine it was a 5 or 600 gun new, not sure I'd make the investment on it now. But of course, I sure wish I had not sold it years ago as it's worth quite a bit more now :)

if I was going to get a .44 today, it would be a nice revolver.
Yeah I agree it’s not practical but I’ve always wanted one lol. I’ve got so much 44 mag ammo. All jacketed by the way. Sounds like I may not have issues if I do actually buy one. We shall see....

How many rounds does the Deagle in .44 hold? 7 or 8? A S&W 29 would be better, just as fast to reload with a speedloader and much lighter.

I've recently begun to think if you reload and want a Deagle to get the .50 AE and use Berry's bullets. They're built specifically for .50 caliber magnums and can take the high velocity, plus they're cheaper than jacketed .50 cal bullets.

But you're stuck behind the People's Republic of Safety and Love so IDK how much of a PITA it is to buy bullets online for reloading while .44 bullets would be a lot easier given it's more popular.

Sorry, mines in 357.
They are finicky about ammo. I used to run Winchester Win-Clean through it flawlessly. Since that ammo was discontinued I have not been able to find commercially available ammo that consistently cycles the action so it sits in the safe.

Mine is an early one that I liked so much I sent it back to the factory and had it refinished in satin nickle.

If you decide to make the jump I would look for the newer Mark XIX. If I remember correctly those are the model that went to the standard frame and changing calibers becomes easier. Early guns were either .357 or 44mag but not interchangeable.
44 mag was what I originally wanted but inside MA you get what's available. I find it very enjoyable to shoot in .357 and was using it to shoot bowling pins for a while.

Someone please talk me out of buying a Desert Eagle in 44 mag and help my wallet[laugh]

I've literally never held or shot one but I've got a ton of 44 mag ammo (since I reload) and I thought it would be a nice addition to my DW revolver and Henry lever gun?? I just feel like I would enjoy shooting it but maybe I'm wrong?

So are the certain models/versions to look for? Are the older IMI/IWI (made in Israel) desert eagles better than the Magnum Research (made in USA)?? How do the triggers/reliability compare among the different versions? I'm hearing that the older models had consistent 2 stage triggers that were nice?

I suspect I won't even find one (especially at a price I like) so this whole discussion might be moot[laugh]

I will only buy one in brushed or polished chrome or SS. I have no interest in the black/nitride finishes. I wouldn't be opposed to the titanium gold if the price was right[laugh]

Rest assured that if you ran out of ammo, you could probably club someone to death with it.
Drive in a new mailbox post in with it.
Re-roof your shed with it.
Frame a house with it.

I shot a DE in 44 magnum and it was VERY cool. The recoil impulse was incredibly soft. That being said if I owned a DE it would likely see one range trip then sit In safe. For me the novelty guns don’t see any action so Ive mostly avoided them...but if you’re looking for something fun and cool then definitely get one.

Someone please talk me out of buying a Desert Eagle in 44 mag and help my wallet[laugh]

I've literally never held or shot one but I've got a ton of 44 mag ammo (since I reload) and I thought it would be a nice addition to my DW revolver and Henry lever gun?? I just feel like I would enjoy shooting it but maybe I'm wrong?

So are the certain models/versions to look for? Are the older IMI/IWI (made in Israel) desert eagles better than the Magnum Research (made in USA)?? How do the triggers/reliability compare among the different versions? I'm hearing that the older models had consistent 2 stage triggers that were nice?

I suspect I won't even find one (especially at a price I like) so this whole discussion might be moot[laugh]

I will only buy one in brushed or polished chrome or SS. I have no interest in the black/nitride finishes. I wouldn't be opposed to the titanium gold if the price was right[laugh]
You better get a gold one with tiger stripes.

And shoot a USPSA match with it. Bonus points if you wear a pimp hat and coat.

Last edited:
So, for $3K you can get a .357, 44 and .50? That is pretty sweet.

Also, nice you showed the most expensive conversion kit, all others seem to be $578. Not bad.
Didn't know there were conversions available. If someone had the .50 already, I'd get the .357 for less expensive ammo. The .50 does everything the .44 can do and then some.

Didn't know there were conversions available. If someone had the .50 already, I'd get the .357 for less expensive ammo. The .50 does everything the .44 can do and then some.
I didnt know they had conversions either.

I was thinking of a SW .460, but now I might lean towards another MR gun.

bro I’m on the 44 mag bandwagon as well. As much as I want to consolidate calibers, I just want one big bad hand cannon that can obliterate everything in my path. I was looking at 629 6” or similar. My buddy has a Blackhawk and that thing is so badass.
Since you reload, it makes perfect sense. Maybe I can shoot fresh ammo and pass the brass to you!

I've got a Ruger Super Blackhawk sitting in the safe I've been thinking of selling. If you're in the market, PM me.

Shut up and buy one,

Let’s hit the range sometime soon. I’ll talk you out of buying a 44 Magnum Desert Eagle...and talk you into buying a 50 AE Desert Eagle with the 44 magnum barrel [laugh]
DUDE YES! Please let me know next time you’re going to the range! I’d say I can offer you ammo but all I have is my reloads. Can probably toss you some magnum pistol primers though.

Rest assured that if you ran out of ammo, you could probably club someone to death with it.
Drive in a new mailbox post in with it.
Re-roof your shed with it.
Frame a house with it.
So you’re saying it’s a multipurpose tool?...awesome!

Back
Top Bottom