Deputy at Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

Unbelievable, heads should roll

from the article [bolding mine]:

When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.

With direction from the Broward deputies who were outside, Coral Springs police soon entered the building where the shooter was. New Broward County Sheriff's deputies arrived on the scene, and two of those deputies and an officer from Sunrise, Florida, joined the Coral Springs police as they went into the building.
Some Coral Springs police were stunned and upset that the four original Broward County Sheriff's deputies who were first on the scene did not appear to join them as they entered the school, Coral Springs sources tell CNN.

At least the Coral Springs and Sunrise Cops did the right thing.
Something wrong in the Broward County Sheriffs Department that so many did the wrong thing.

I want to see the timeline of when they arrived and how many kids died while they waited outside. Then give that information to the parents of the kids who died.

Truth be told if we wanted to stop school shootings it could be done, period, full stop. After 9/11 the hijackings stopped IIRC, but as a society we pay a price for our 'safety'. Screening machines, TSA agents, blah blah. We all hate it but... it works.

I don't believe they stopped cause of the TSA clowns though. There were no hijackings before 9/11, and none after. Probably for the same reason.

If you google Broward County Sheriffs, you'll return a list of excessive force and misconduct cases involving their deputies. These blowhards sure are brave when jacking up unarmed citizens for contempt of cop, but when SHTF and kids are being mowed down, they cower behind their cruisers. Heroes.

Never lived in the south & the only thing I know sheriff's do around here is court stuff, so I'm not to knowledgeable about them but I think they're elected to their position? If so, he might not want to even waste time, money & energy on the next election cycle

Never lived in the south & the only thing I know sheriff's do around here is court stuff, so I'm not to knowledgeable about them but I think they're elected to their position? If so, he might not want to even waste time, money & energy on the next election cycle
Sheriff offices in the south and west tend to do a lot more law enforcement "stuff" than around here. In places they are the county or state level LEO. And the sheriff is usually (always?) an elective office, just like MA county sheriffs.

I would be shaking in my boots and scared shitless but that wouldn't stop me from doing what's right. It's a 50/50 chance but a gamble most would take.

In most states South and West of NY/NJ each county has a Sheriff who is elected by residents of the county. They are the chief LEO of the county, they run the Sheriff's department, all the deputies of the department work for the Sheriff and are hired/fired by the Sheriff, and the Sheriff also is in charge of the county jail.

Cities/towns inside the county have their own local police and they'll have a chief, but he's appointed and can run the department differently than the Sheriff does, usually according to what the person or persons who appointed him want.

The bottom line is the Sheriff is where the buck stops in a county's Sheriff's department and if 4 deputies are in a holding pattern outside a school during a mass shooting, then their actions reflect back on the Sheriff because the question is, why the hell did the Sheriff hire a bunch of do nothing deputies?

The possibility always exists in a Sheriff's department that the person elected to be Sheriff will hire buddies of his who will generally be lazy pigs and if a Sheriff does that and it's obvious, he can be recalled in a recall election and removed from office. Then when a new Sheriff is elected, he can fire any employee of the department and they'll lose their pensions.

Corruption is a very possible thing in a Sheriff's department, but the Sheriff answers to the people, not a mayor or town council.

If you google Broward County Sheriffs, you'll return a list of excessive force and misconduct cases involving their deputies. These blowhards sure are brave when jacking up unarmed citizens for contempt of cop, but when SHTF and kids are being mowed down, they cower behind their cruisers. Heroes.
June 2016- Broward County Sheriff's Child Protection Unit "A shamble"
Broward sheriff's child protection unit now 'a shamble,' former employee says

December 2017- Broward Sheriff's Deputy accused of aiding drug trafickers
Broward Sheriff's deputy accused of aiding heroin and cocaine trafficking ring

"In the 1980s and 90s, Israel worked in the narcotics department for Fort Lauderdale PD."

Israel is rotten to the core. A narc officer in the 80s? Those parts of a department are always the most corrupt, they always take a little of a seizure and sell to local dealers, and considering Florida at that time... I have no doubts this guy buried bodies back in the day.

Or ordered to stand down. Maybe the Sheriffs were there to make sure no LEOs stopped the horror before they had the bodycount the antigunners figured they need. The NDAA allows for the government to use propaganda inside the US. If these shootings are set up, they aren't even false flags they are the business of what governments evolve to.

Sheriff offices in the south and west tend to do a lot more law enforcement "stuff" than around here. In places they are the county or state level LEO. And the sheriff is usually (always?) an elective office, just like MA county sheriffs.

I grew up in a part of LA county with zero local cops. Every LEO I ever dealt with was a county sheriff.

It’s a yuuuge department. They also do wilderness rescue.

I used to live in Florida. The Sheriff's office handles all law enforcement for unicorporated parts of each county. And still have jurisdiction elsewhere in their county. They also run the county jail, but unlike in MA, they also do the usual law enforcement that a PD does up here (w/ road deputies, etc.)

Truth be told if we wanted to stop school shootings it could be done, period, full stop. After 9/11 the hijackings stopped IIRC, but as a society we pay a price for our 'safety'. Screening machines, TSA agents, blah blah. We all hate it but... it works.

Our children are our most important resource. The odds of your child getting caught in a school murder spree killing are infinitesimal, true, but children's psyche's are quite fragile. Like it our not, the media/messaging raging 24/7. This latest school shooting spree is not about the our kids safety, it's a media event/tweet circus everybody and nobody willing to fess up to their blame.

To see this once proud nation reduced to mob of whiners, pizz on the other guy, hurray for my side. & eff yours, makes me want to vomit.

For me our kids are our future...the message from the President on down is my, me, mine.

Pitiful

There aren't hijackings now because everyone knows it could be headed to a smokin' hole in the ground instead of a diversion to Cuba. The flying public won't sit and let it happen. It has zero to do with TSA.

There aren't hijackings now because everyone knows it could be headed to a smokin' hole in the ground instead of a diversion to Cuba. The flying public won't sit and let it happen. It has zero to do with TSA.

This. In spades. Nobody is just going to take the ride.

I don't think I've ever seen a LE guy with that many stars on his collar or stripes on his cuff.
Truth be told, I'm seeing this on the news more and more. Local Chiefs of Police seem to be gravitating towards four stars on their collars. What, one isn't enough? Is the 20 man force going to get subdivided into corps, divisions, and brigades?

I would be shaking in my boots and scared shitless but that wouldn't stop me from doing what's right. It's a 50/50 chance but a gamble most would take.

Anyone who says they wouldn't be scared is a liar.
You nut up and scrape out your drawers later.
The only ones who had a fighting chance against that freak bagged out.
You know , the highly trained professionals who are supposed to be the only ones with guns.
I hope the guys from the next town over took a second to spit on those mutts as they passed them on the way in.

I get it. I get Warren v. DC and all the other decisions on this topic. That's immaterial though. Sorry, he's a coward.

Speaking of Warren v. DC, that decision states that cops have no duty to protect random individuals. They do have a duty to protect individuals in certain cases where a prior relationship exists. In this case, he was assigned to that specific post. So a case could be made that yes, he was specifically there to protect.
I never said he wasn't a coward.

"In the 1980s and 90s, Israel worked in the narcotics department for Fort Lauderdale PD."

During that time there was more snow in FL than in VT.

Truth be told, I'm seeing this on the news more and more. Local Chiefs of Police seem to be gravitating towards four stars on their collars. What, one isn't enough? Is the 20 man force going to get subdivided into corps, divisions, and brigades?

In a 20 man department, to me, a successful sheriff is one who doesn't need any rank insignia. He should be well known and well respected enough not to need flashy bits of metal and gold embroidery.

Back
Top Bottom