Deputy at Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

We all saw this coming:

Lawyers: Parkland deputy wasn't legally required to stop massacre

Lawyers: Parkland deputy wasn’t legally required to stop massacre
By Meryl Kornfield, Tribune News Service
Posted at 7:40 PMUpdated at 8:24 PM

He ‘opted for self-preservation,’ his attorneys say in rebuttal against parent’s lawsuit

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Many have called him a coward, but former sheriff’s deputy Scot Peterson had no legal duty to stop the slaughter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, his attorneys say.

Peterson took shelter rather than confront the killer, but he did not act with malice or bad faith, according to his attorneys, Michael Piper and Christopher Stearns of Fort Lauderdale. Therefore he can’t be held legally responsible for the deaths, they say in court documents.

Allegations against Peterson suggest only that he “opted for self-preservation over heroics,” the attorneys wrote.

The statements came in a motion seeking to dismiss a lawsuit filed by Andrew Pollack, the father of 18-year-old Meadow Pollack, who was killed in the shooting.

[article continues...]

We all saw this coming:

Lawyers: Parkland deputy wasn't legally required to stop massacre

Lawyers: Parkland deputy wasn’t legally required to stop massacre
By Meryl Kornfield, Tribune News Service
Posted at 7:40 PMUpdated at 8:24 PM

He ‘opted for self-preservation,’ his attorneys say in rebuttal against parent’s lawsuit
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Many have called him a coward, but former sheriff’s deputy Scot Peterson had no legal duty to stop the slaughter at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, his attorneys say.

Peterson took shelter rather than confront the killer, but he did not act with malice or bad faith, according to his attorneys, Michael Piper and Christopher Stearns of Fort Lauderdale. Therefore he can’t be held legally responsible for the deaths, they say in court documents.

Allegations against Peterson suggest only that he “opted for self-preservation over heroics,” the attorneys wrote.

The statements came in a motion seeking to dismiss a lawsuit filed by Andrew Pollack, the father of 18-year-old Meadow Pollack, who was killed in the shooting.

[article continues...]

This is a beautiful thing. We need everyone to understand this. We can then use this fact as a stronger argument on why we should take responsibility for our own safety. Lefties are going to have a hard time swallowing the fact that police are not obligated to save them.
I can't wait to hear how they spin this. Each time they spin a story it contradicts a previous spin they already made.

Last edited:
And yet they want to be treated like heroes, tell us all how dangerous their job is and how we can never understand. Guy is still collecting retirement, how the resident's haven't demanded at a minimum that he be given nothing is beyond me.

Sickens me when people judge me for wanting to protect what is mine by exercising my right and those same people expect departments like Broward county (which is clearly full of cowards) to do that for them. Laughable.

And yet that Sheriff has not been removed from office.

Edit: Realized the post above was in reference security and not a deputy but my point still stands.

Last edited:
36327695_2140726709478566_4180534425043337216_n.jpg

Edit: Realized the post above was in reference security and not a deputy but my point still stands.

Actually the Tweet above was taken from one level below context -- the original headline by Carlos Suarez at WPLG was that Superintendent Robert Runcie had announced the two security guards would not be retained.

When I saw this yesterday I thought, that is fine but why is Superintendent Robert Runcie still there to be making any announcements, he should have been among the first to go -- his list of distractions to blame anything other than his policies started with the NRA and has been laughably varied ever since.

:emoji_tiger:

he “opted for self-preservation over heroics,”

In regards to saving the lives of children that he was assigned to protect, this IS the definition of cowardice in my book.

Back
Top Bottom