• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deputy at Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

Reptile

NES Member
The sheriff's deputy who was on patrol at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on Feb. 14 resigned Thursday after video surveillance showed he never entered the school, even though he "clearly" knew there was a shooting taking place, officials said.

Deputy Scott Peterson, of the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, was stationed on the school’s campus when Nikolas Cruz opened fire with an AR-15 rifle, leaving 17 people dead and others wounded.

Sheriff Scott Israel during a press conference Thursday said video showed Peterson arriving at the west side of the building where the shooting took place. Peterson, Israel said, took up a position but "never went in."

Deputy assigned to Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

If the Sheriff does not want teachers with guns, who will he send in to stop the killing?

There were so many law enforcement failures in this tragedy.

The officer may have been following protocol. I wonder if their are radio transmissions telling him to wait for backup?

Can you blame him?

A service pistol versus an AR?

In CQB a handgun is not at that much of a disadvantage in terms of capacity and stability while aiming. A handgun is actually more flexible in terms of being able to manipulate around cover and open/close doors.

Long corridors could be a major problem, but other than that indoors is going to be a fairly equal engagement environment.

I wonder if this news will change the minds of any of the kids who got on the bus to the state capital to demand change? (Further infringement on our rights)
The government will protect you... I wonder how "safe" they feel now?
Such a shame.

Active shooter response training has been provided to every Dept across the US for several years now. It’s geared to be SOP so that officers from different dept’s can easily fill in and all be on the same page from the start. I was an instructor for 10+ years.

There’s always a small group that bitch and moan about having to go because it takes away from a detail they could be doing or they simply aren’t the type that would ever take action anyway, they won’t or don’t take it seriously, this IMO is the end result of that.

He’s been trained to respond in a smart and aggressive manner to immediately move to the threat and stop it. Not stopping to provide first aid for citizens or other police officers that have been hit, stop the threat first to stop the list of casualties from growing. Advise others as you’re passing them that the area behind you is clear, help each other to the door and get outside.

Call in the building number, what side (IE: 1,2,3 or 4) and the floor # etc as you’re entering or clearing stairwells and moving up, a shitload of cops will be there within minutes coming from everywhere from 3 towns around you and they will know exactly where to respond to assist you in the fastest manner by the comms you put out before entering and as you move to clear and stop the threat. It’s not rocket science but it does take some critical thinking under stress.

I’m not going to get into the detailed tactics of it in the open as I don’t want to provide counter tactics to any basement trench coat mafia onlookers who may come here to read and glorify this shit in their minds.

Can you blame him?

A service pistol versus an AR?

Yes. You can blame him. He wasn’t some random smuck. He was a cop. Assigned to the school. If you are too afraid to do anything when there is a killer actively mudering kids where you work, you need a new job, because you are utterly worthless. I guess he just wanted the paycheck without any of the responsibility. If it’s true he didn’t do anything, he’s a coward.

There were so many law enforcement failures in this tragedy.

The officer may have been following protocol. I wonder if their are radio transmissions telling him to wait for backup?

Don’t they keep telling us that after Columbine things were changed to not wait around and for first responders to go in? Well I guess he doesn’t count as a first responder if he never actually responded...

Sounds like he won't be 'protecting and serving' anyone moving forward. I highly doubt ANY police department (in the US at least) would consider hiring him now.

Active shooter response training has been provided to every Dept across the US for several years now. It’s geared to be SOP so that officers from different dept’s can easily fill in and all be on the same page from the start. I was an instructor for 10+ years.

There’s always a small group that bitch and moan about having to go because it takes away from a detail they could be doing or they simply aren’t the type that would ever take action anyway, they won’t or don’t take it seriously, this IMO is the end result of that.

He’s been trained to respond in a smart and aggressive manner to immediately move to the threat and stop it. Not stopping to provide first aid for citizens or other police officers that have been hit, stop the threat first to stop the list of casualties from growing. Advise others as you’re passing them that the area behind you is clear, help each other to the door and get outside.

Call in the building number, what side (IE: 1,2,3 or 4) and the floor # etc as you’re entering or clearing stairwells and moving up, a shitload of cops will be there within minutes coming from everywhere from 3 towns around you and they will know exactly where to respond to assist you in the fastest manner by the comms you put out before entering and as you move to clear and stop the threat. It’s not rocket science but it does take some critical thinking under stress.

I’m not going to get into the detailed tactics of it in the open as I don’t want to provide counter tactics to any basement trench coat mafia onlookers who may come here to read and glorify this shit in their minds.
And running in a loop through their minds is “F*ck this noise. I don’t get paid enough for this sh/t. “Get home safely” is starting to make a lot of sense.”

2._wwi.png

In CQB a handgun is not at that much of a disadvantage in terms of capacity and stability while aiming. A handgun is actually more flexible in terms of being able to manipulate around cover and open/close doors.

Long corridors could be a major problem, but other than that indoors is going to be a fairly equal engagement environment.

The issue with this is that the officers are responsible for every round that comes out of their firearms. So if you’re joe bag of donuts the cop and you’re emptying mags down a looong school hallway without having a clear and good shot, those rounds have to stop somewhere, and with kids and teachers hunkering down in every room how many of those pistol rounds fired inaccurately down a hallway are going to stop in a child or a teacher.

Exactly what we don’t want to happen and even though they (cops) have only seconds or moments to think, act and fire under a high degree of stress, the DA’s and investigators will have weeks and months to go over every single detail of the ballistics and forensics and God help you if 3,4,5 or any of those victims come back to your service weapon.

It’s a shit sandwich any way you look at it, sometimes you just have to cover it with ketchup and eat the f**king thing.

Last edited:
Don't cops have AR's in their squad cars?? Couldn't he have simply gone out to said vehicle and retrieved his AR and THEN gone in and done his F'ing job??

The issue with this is that the officers are responsible for every round that comes out of their firearms. So if you’re joe bag of donuts the cop and you’re emptying mags down a looong school hallway without having a clear and good shot, those rounds have to stop somewhere, and with kids and teachers hunkering down in every room how many of those pistol rounds fired inaccurately down a hallway are going to stop in a child or a teacher.

Let’s stop the nonsense.

1. It’s not even true. Cops are routinely NOT held responsible for rounds they shoot, even in situations where they shouldn’t be shooting anyways.

2. I doubt a cop actively engaging a school shooter would even be questioned.
Do we even know about how many from the Pulse Night Club shooting were shot by cops yet?

Exactly what we don’t want to happen and even though they (cops) have only seconds or moments to think, act and fire under a high degree of stress, the DA’s and investigators will have weeks and months to go over every single detail of the ballistics and forensics and God help you if 3,4,5 or any of those victims come back to your service weapon.

Exactly what I don’t want to happen is a cop hiding allowing someone to murder 17 people without resistance.

It’s a shit sandwich any way you look at it, sometimes you just have to cover it with ketchup and eat the f**king thing.

Wow.

So you are actually putting forth the argument that letting an armed attacker shoot defenseless innocents unimpeded is a better course of action than engaging the shooter with your sidearm?
I'm going to assume he didn't really think that post out. I'm waiting for his reply though.

I'm seriously having a hard time writing this between anger and sadness. Ever since Columbine police departments across the country have told officers to go in and not wait for backup. Because they know as do we, that every second matters. And this was an officer assigned to the f***ing school. He was ON SITE when the shooting began. Sure legally he is clear due to SCOTUS. But morally? He is worse than a coward.

Israel said that Deputy Scott Peterson was outside of the building during the time of the shooting. According to Israel, video evidence suggested that Peterson remained outside for four minutes. The entire mass shooting lasted an estimated six minutes, Israel said.

"Scott Peterson was absolutely on campus through this entire event," Israel said. "He was armed, he was in uniform. After seeing video, witness statements, and Scott Peterson's very own statement, I decided this morning to suspend Scott Peterson without pay pending an internal investigation. As is his right, Scott Peterson chose to resign."

Israel claimed that Peterson "clearly" knew there was a shooting, and was seen doing "nothing" on video. Israel added that there were no known issues with communication.
Deputy at Florida high school where 17 were killed 'never went in,' resigns

“But what I saw was a deputy arrive at the west side of building 12, take up a position — and he never went in.”
When asked by a reporter what Peterson should have done, Israel said the deputy should have “went in, addressed the killer, killed the killer.”

Israel said the video made him “sick to [his] stomach” and left him feeling “devastated.”

“There are no words,” he said.

Sheriff: Armed officer at school never entered building during shooting

... and God help you if 3,4,5 or any of those victims come back to your service weapon.

You’re shitting me.

Not to go all “it’s for the children!” on this, but INNOCENT PEOPLE GOT MURDERED BY AN ANIMAL. While this Dudley Do-right just sat there and listened. Hell doesn’t have a fire hot enough.

If his first thought was to go CYA and worry about blue-on-blue from his service weapon, then he lacks the intestinal fortitude for this work.

Frankly, I hope the memory of the screams never gives him a moment’s peace. “God help you if?” You’ve got to be kidding.

Disgusting
Better to die fighting than to live with this kind of shame.

Any police officer not willing to move to the sound of gunfire and stop the threat should hand in their badge.

Hopefully the majority of Cops feel this way.

Will you take the active shooter pledge?

THE ACTIVE SHOOTER/KILLER PLEDGE
I have personally decided that the threats faced by my generation of police officers require that I always be armed and personally committed to furiously train to protect those who can’t protect themselves in their moment of desperate need.

If I am ever faced with an in-progress active shooter/killer and I can make a difference, I will use my superior attitude, superior training, superior tactics and superior weapon (superior because it is in my trained hands) to become an army of one!

Out of my love for humanity I will enter that environment like a hate-seeking missile and use the chaos created by the killer(s) as a distractive device. I will move unheard and unseen by the killer(s) to a position of advantage. Once there – if left with no other options and presented with the opportunity to stop the killing – I will take the shot and make the shot. I am the protector of the flock; the honorable sheepdog.

I'm going to assume he didn't really think that post out. I'm waiting for his reply though.
I think he was thinking about the cop and what he may have used to justify staying outside.

What I like about life is that it doesn’t matter what people say they’ll do in a situation, or what they think they’ll do, it’s what they do that counts.

I’ve seen people cumble and seen people rise to the occasion. You never know.

I think he was thinking about the cop and what he may have used to justify staying outside.

What I like about life is that it doesn’t matter what people say they’ll do in a situation, or what they think they’ll do, it’s what they do that counts.

I’ve seen people cumble and seen people rise to the occasion. You never know.
There is no defense to the cop staying outside. None. Hopefully he suck starts his glock in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom