Deputy at Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

All solutions need to consider the statistical likelihood of someone with a gun walking in and looking to kill as many as possible.
That likelihood is statistically nil.

There have been under 300 students killed in school shootings in the last 90 years. The odds are far larger that your child will contract the flu at school and die (22 children died from the flu in the week prior to the Parkhurst shooting alone) than he will be killed in a school shooting, but we're not all running around flapping our arms demanding that they be allowed to attend school via Skype. The sturm und drang around this issue is being multiplied by the fact that it reinforces people's existing biases.

Last edited:
Had the Sheriff and his department done there job and addressed the repeated calls about this kid this Deputy would not have been put in the position he was put in and the kids and teachers would still be alive... If the Sheriff himself is non-responsive why should we expect any more from his deputies....Now the bloviated Sherriff is blaming everyone but himself...He is the leader! In my mind he is the coward!.

16427657_10100241284600694_7103613091305829091_n.jpg

Had the Sheriff and his department done there job and addressed the repeated calls about this kid this Deputy would not have been put in the position he was put in and the kids and teachers would still be alive... If the Sheriff himself is non-responsive why should we expect any more from his deputies....Now the bloviated Sherriff is blaming everyone but himself...He is the leader! In my mind he is the coward!.

It's no coincidence that the news re: the coward came the day after Sheriff positioned himself a moral hero on during CNN debate. He need to root that idea before the house of cards came down. Like they waited a week to review the footage.

It's bullshit that they withhold footage from the public. If that clip from inside the classroom that shows a cop's back is the same guy, then the footage is very likely some kid's cell phone camera running in that room, and showing the cop hiding in there with the rest of the kids. I can only imagine what his face looks like, or what he or the kids are saying out loud for that 4+ minutes. Were kids telling him to get out and do something? What was he doing the entire time? Whatever it showed, we know that it was enough for the chief to unequivocally trash the guy.

There are a lot of good cops who would have gone in and theee are a lot of people who would have gone in.

I’m curious to hear LenS’s opinion on what the ramifications might be to an armed citizen going into a school in Massachusetts to try to stop a shooter. Add to that, say, the hero MA citizen takes down the shooter early in his career but there is one child killed by friendly fire.

This is an emotional topic but there is reality to deal with here.

Oh please, the media would crucify the guy. He'd be taking the blame for every single kid that died. They would say he interfered with police response and caused more casualties. That his shots all missed and hit kids. He'd be sitting in a jail cell charged with murder in this state.

It's bullshit that they withhold footage from the public. If that clip from inside the classroom that shows a cop's back is the same guy, then the footage is very likely some kid's cell phone camera running in that room, and showing the cop hiding in there with the rest of the kids. I can only imagine what his face looks like, or what he or the kids are saying out loud for that 4+ minutes. Were kids telling him to get out and do something? What was he doing the entire time? Whatever it showed, we know that it was enough for the chief to unequivocally trash the guy.

For what it's worth, the media are reporting that he was in a stairwell by some kind of pillar, and that he was seen on a security camera. So the phone footage probably isn't him.

Changes nothing with regard to his inaction or the Sheriff working to blame everyone but himself.

Quite a difference in Florida union contracts. I doubt a MA cop who took the same inaction could get a "without pay" suspension.

Quite a difference in Florida union contracts. I doubt a MA cop who took the same inaction could get a "without pay" suspension.
But he didn't get a suspension. He retired and took his pension.

You can see that happening here in MA, as variants of it already have. Yes, it's easy to justify the "20 years and a full pension" contract because of the danger of the profession (although commercial fishing is far more dangerous), but there's nothing in the contracts that says that officers must go into harm's way nor to void the pensions if they don't.

Last edited:
He'll have to live with that for the rest of his life. 24x7x365. And that's exactly how people will remember him, and hopefully remind him frequently of his cowardice.

I wonder how well he's sleeping at night...

But he didn't get a suspension. He retired and took his pension.

You can see that happening here in MA, as variants of it already have. Yes, it's easy to justify the "20 years and a full pension" contract because of the danger of the profession (although commercial fishing is far more dangerous), but there's nothing in the contracts that says that officers must go into harm's way nor to void the pensions if they don't.

I’m not privy to FL police union contracts,but I’d imagine he was told to retire OR he’d be suspended, investigated, and fired without a pension.

Honestly? After what he did, I doubt he could get rid of his badge fast enough.

The guy will have to move and maybe change his name, assuming he doesn't check himself out. I wonder if he has kids...

He'll have to live with that for the rest of his life. 24x7x365. And that's exactly how people will remember him, and hopefully remind him frequently of his cowardice.

I wonder how well he's sleeping at night...

there are many people who will do just fine. In fact many of the Stalin's old executioners who literally murdered thousands of people with their own hand, actually shot people, retired with full honors and pension and lived out their days surrounded by family. Many of them and their kids actually believe/d that they have done nothing wrong.

there are many people who will do just fine. In fact many of the Stalin's old executioners who literally murdered thousands of people with their own hand, actually shot people, retired with full honors and pension and lived out their days surrounded by family. Many of them and their kids actually believe/d that they have done nothing wrong.

Although I know with some that is possible, today's world is different. Back in the "day" communication required face-to-face contact, or maybe phone or mail. Information was not ubiquitous as today with the internet and such.

Everyone knows what this guy did. If he moves his deeds will follow. It's harder to blend into the background these days.

Solzhenitsyn wrote that the social code was not to bring it up. No one called them out on their actions or held them liable.

Solzhenitsyn wrote that the social code was not to bring it up. No one called them out on their actions or held them liable.

They don't feel that they have done anything wrong, even their kids on twitter proudly state that their NKVD grandpa had to liquidate people to "encourage" others.

Some people just don't get it, they don't grasp it, 0 empathy for their victims.

They don't feel that they have done anything wrong
Once the state has successfully imposed total subservience, the populace will start to substitute the morality dictated by the state for their own.

It amazes me that people like this walk among us. Vasili Blokhin personally murdered 7,000 Polish Officers with a pistol over a period of 28 days during the Katyn Forest Massacre in 1940. Retired on a pension and died from natural causes.

Back
Top Bottom