• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Current AR to SBR Conversion

So I did a little searching and couldn't find what I was looking for. A little help is much appreciated. I have a pre 7/20/16 lower that was built and registered as a 5.56. I want to turn that into a .300 Blackout SBR, so if I were approved for that, am I able to re-register in Mass as the Blackout?
Any help is appreciated

No "reregistering"...you can use your AR with the SBR upper if you only do it as a pistol while waiting for your approved form 4

You dont have a location listened.. i can only assume MA because of your enforcement notice mention... using your ar as a pistol in MA isnt a good idea. But if you happen to be shooing in another state (ie VT/NH) it would acceptable

Once a receiver is registered as a rifle it can not be used as or registered as a pistol

THIS and then some. Pistols can be made in to rifles but rifles CAN NOT be made in to pistols. One of 2 different BGCs are run when you buy a gun. One for long guns or one for handguns. Just because you passed a long gun check doesn't mean you can pass a handgun check. If you could convert a rifle to a pistol then a shitload of people who are prohibited from owning hand guns could just buy rifles and convert them. FWIW, I sell guns for a living. I deal with this shit daily.

I always screw this one up....there are alot of rulings/letters on it..

Its this part thats the issue and makes it a rifle?
"I have a pre 7/20/16 lower that was built and registered as a 5.56"

If it starts life as a pistol, it can become a rifle then back to a pistol. If it started life as a rifle, then it can only be a rifle?

I guess my first post was factual and accurate, just not to the the OPs situation...

Last edited:
You will register the lower as an SBR with a specific caliber and barrel length. Once you have your stamp you can send a letter registering other calibers and barrel lengths

Ill have to bookmark this thread.. im fairly certain rob and another member have corrected me on this several times.
The circular logic on this one must just be too much for me.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe there is a weight limit for pistols in the MA AWB. If I was the OP, I'd run that rifle with 16" barrel until the stamp comes in.

You will register the lower as an SBR with a specific caliber and barrel length. Once you have your stamp you can send a letter registering other calibers and barrel lengths
And that letter would go to?

And as far as steps go currently:
1. Keep Rifle as is (planned on this)
2. Apply for SBR Tax Stamp (knew this)
3. Upon approval, have name, city, state, engraved on rifle
4. Build out short barrel upper
5. Have copious amounts of fun with said upper?

Thanks for all the info guys, really helpful

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe there is a weight limit for pistols in the MA AWB. If I was the OP, I'd run that rifle with 16" barrel until the stamp comes in.

You ain't getting to an AR pistol easily in MA and I would be careful having an assembled SBR upper near a non engraved lower w/o a tax stamp. Run it as a 16 all you want till the paperwork clears. As mentioned, pistol to rifle OK but rifle to pistol is not. I was unaware of two BGC being used.

You ain't getting to an AR pistol easily in MA and I would be careful having an assembled SBR upper near a non engraved lower w/o a tax stamp. Run it as a 16 all you want till the paperwork clears. As mentioned, pistol to rifle OK but rifle to pistol is not. I was unaware of two BGC being used.
Yeah no intent to turn it into a pistol as I had figured that was a no go

No "reregistering"...you can use your AR with the SBR upper if you only do it as a pistol while waiting for your approved form 4

You dont have a location listened.. i can only assume MA because of your enforcement notice mention... using your ar as a pistol in MA isnt a good idea. But if you happen to be shooing in another state (ie VT/NH) it would acceptable
Do not use it as a pistol. The pistol config is an assault weapon.

And that letter would go to?

And as far as steps go currently:
1. Keep Rifle as is (planned on this)
2. Apply for SBR Tax Stamp (knew this)
3. Upon approval, have name, city, state, engraved on rifle
4. Build out short barrel upper
5. Have copious amounts of fun with said upper?

Thanks for all the info guys, really helpful

There have been two schools of thought on transportation of SBR within the state. One school says it's not needed because the paperwork reads "Interstate" however I was told otherwise by BATFE and they approved the Interstate form for Intrastate use. Better safe than sorry if there was a problem. The BATFE folks were rather helpful. I'm currently waiting for a stack of Form 20's to be returned for the 2018 calendar year.

There is a ton of info available in the NFA forum area.

BCG is different for pistols??? I never heard that nor I have I seen a pistol BCG for sale.

Please post a link

Or, are you referring to a different BCG for pistol caliber?

All of my 5.56 and 300bkk pistols are running with full auto M16 carriers

He said B G C, Back Ground Check. Not B C G, Bolt Control Group.

I thought he said that at first so I reread it.

My thought is that he could build an SBR on a new lower and avoid the entire AWB and register that rather than use the pre ban lower.

This was my impression as well. Perk of being an SBR is that it doesn't fall under MA AWB bullshit laws. The SBR follows FED law and not MA.

Let me know if I am wrong.

This was my impression as well. Perk of being an SBR is that it doesn't fall under MA AWB bullshit laws. The SBR follows FED law and not MA.

Let me know if I am wrong.

Not necessarily wrong - hasn't been argued in MA courts yet. There's a short explanation of the issue in the MA NFA FAQ:

MA-centric NFA FAQ

Your choice. I'm by nature a pessimist, so...

Back
Top Bottom