• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Creedmoor Sports on Ear Protection

cathouse01

NES Member
If you’re on Creedmoor’s mailing list you’ve probably already seen this, but they just sent out a detailed email on ear pro. The more pertinent parts are at the end:

When do we need hearing protection?
Hearing protection should be used for anything at or above 85 dB. This is halfway between a vacuum cleaner and a circular saw sound.

What does the NRR mean on hearing protection labels?
The Noise Reduction Rating can range from 1 to 33 and tells you the effectiveness of the plugs or earmuffs.

How to determine effectiveness of your hearing protection.
Take the NRR of your hearing protection, subtract seven, and then divide by two. If your earmuffs have an NRR of 33, then the formula would look like (33-7)/2=13. 13 is how many dB your hearing protection will reduce the sound by. This means if your running a jackhammer with 110 dB, your hearing protection will reduce the exposure to 97 dB.

Should we wear earplugs under our earmuffs?
We absolutely should, especially shooting indoors. However, combining protection doesn't combine the NRR of the plugs and earmuffs, but it will add 5 NRR to the highest rated protection product you're wearing. If your plugs are 24 NRR and your earmuffs are 26 NRR, the total NRR is 31.

What NRR should we look for?
You'll want a minimum of 20 NRR for .22 lr, 25 NRR or better for handguns and medium cartridge rifles, and large cartridges and magnums require 33. For indoors, if there's a chance of anything being shot other than a .22 lr, get 28 NRR or better.

Nowadays, I use hearing protection ALL the time...mostly because I have my Bose noise cancelling headphones on when I’m walking around the house so my ex doesn’t attempt to interact with me...not that she would, but it’s a little insurance policy.

This behavior carries over to lawn mowing, vacuuming, using an angle grinder or other air tools, etc.

I never wore ear protection for 15 years in auto salvage or the marine corps (except when at the range) and I somehow escaped with most of my hearing intact...though my tinnitus is brain rape sometimes.

I leave plugs & muffs with my tools and hanging on the lawnmower & snowblower
I grew up never wearing "eyes & ears" except when shooting. Now I wear them all the time because I can't stand the loud noise
Mowing, snowblowing, compressor, chainsaw, string trimmer, pretty much everything.
It's become a habit to put eyes & ears on for all that stuff

I wear muffs when I do anything even mildly loud. I encourage friends to wear them all the time too.

I wear muffs when I do anything even mildly loud. I encourage friends to wear them all the time too.
I think the damage is done for me but I wear it more and more as the noise bothers me now. Never thought much about it mowing the lawn?

lol i wear 25 nrr just mowing the lawn or running a chainsaw
25 for the lawnmower, 29 for the chainsaw and shooting.

My hearing is still excellent, but having a head full of white hair makes it easy to just walk away when people are talking, and they assume I'm half deaf.

Lately the tinnitus has kicked into high gear, and just today I randomly saw this. (Medscape is a respected site, and they referee published papers.)

I wear sparkplugs inserts all day at my work (slightly loud machining manufacturing environment). Shooting outdoors in the open I only need sparkplugs (unless im shooting with guys running muzzle brakes). Shooting indoors or outdoors under a canopy I use sparkplugs and my Peltor noise cancelling muffs with silicone ear pads.

ONE TIME I forgot to don my hearing protection at my clubs 200 meter range under a canopy shooting my braked 300 Win Mag. That was some abrupt pain, 2 weeks of serious ear ringing luckily no permanent damage. I get mandatory OSHA hearing testing yearly at my work. I have good hearing levels that are more importantly staying consistent (no loss).

I use earplugs all day long at work, so it's natural for me to use them doing other things (chainsaw, lawnmower, shooting, etc). I bought the plastic/clay-type DIY plugs that you mix and make yourself (from Creedmoor Radians Custom Molded Earplugs Set ). they work great.

Nowadays, I use hearing protection ALL the time...mostly because I have my Bose noise cancelling headphones on when I’m walking around the house so my ex doesn’t attempt to interact with me...not that she would, but it’s a little insurance policy.

This behavior carries over to lawn mowing, vacuuming, using an angle grinder or other air tools, etc.

I never wore ear protection for 15 years in auto salvage or the marine corps (except when at the range) and I somehow escaped with most of my hearing intact...though my tinnitus is brain rape sometimes.
Did you file for va comp for tinnitus? It's 10 percent compensation....about $150 a month.

Lately the tinnitus has kicked into high gear, and just today I randomly saw this. (Medscape is a respected site, and they referee published papers.)

The Rona and spike protein manufacturing 'vaccines' both cause inflammation which can't be good for existing tinnitus sufferers.

I had the bug back in March of 2020 and thankfully haven't noticed a worsening of my tinnitus.

I didn’t. Not sure if I still can?

I’ve avoided it because I know there are people that really need the help/money more than I do/paid an actual price with sacrificing the use of their legs and arms/mental stability.
Well....

Your tinnitus was caused by military service. Are there guys with worse conditions.....yup....
But you getting 10% doesn't mean they'll get less it means you get some benefits you deserve.

Just my 2 cents.

You can always file a claim no matter how long you've been out.

Last edited:
Damage is done. I wear ear pro when shooting because it hurts. Snow blowing or lawn mowing, what’s the point?

I don’t suffer from hearing loss, I enjoy it.

I didn’t. Not sure if I still can?

I’ve avoided it because I know there are people that really need the help/money more than I do/paid an actual price with sacrificing the use of their legs and arms/mental stability.
VA benefits do not depend on the number of vets seeking relief. If you're eligible you definitely should apply since the money you’re saving .gov will not go to another vet but to some other wacko entitlement. VA benefits are one of the few .gov expenditures that I don’t mind my (exorbitant) taxes funding.

Back
Top Bottom