• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote hunting

Where?I live in Middletown, and have access to property out by St. Columbus and been thinking about having a go at it there. I live between the High School and Middle School and have them in my front yard, last summer they killed a deer in my neighbors yard. I'm at the point where I carry a full size pistol when walking the dog at night, one would think that I'm in upstate Maine or something.

Right after the police station (Corner of Valley and Goldenrod), the road was full of traffic and these two were walking along without a care in the world.

I live less than 10 minutes from you, and work in the corporate park. The Paradise area is among the heaviest for the coyote population, so i would assume there would be decent hunting on the land you have access to.

I have a FoxPro and would be happy to give it a try.

I would probably second that. Go with either BB or #T. Sucks we can't use buck shot. It's practically the same size as #T both costs like 10 times less... Damn state...

Yet another excellent example of laws written by folk who have no clue what they're talking about but yet deemed an authority on it

Right after the police station (Corner of Valley and Goldenrod), the road was full of traffic and these two were walking along without a care in the world.

I live less than 10 minutes from you, and work in the corporate park. The Paradise area is among the heaviest for the coyote population, so i would assume there would be decent hunting on the land you have access to.

I have a FoxPro and would be happy to give it a try.

Thats my back yard, they are every where. I'm thinking there must be a den behind the Maher Center, I've seen a growing number in this area, especially the JAM center. I have a fenced in back yard and the rabbit population is going nuts in it seeking refuge there.

Saw two coyotes run across route 4 in Boscawen this morning about 10 am. The things you see when you don't have a shotgun !

I plan on buying a electronic call this weekend. From what I have read the Foxpro seems to be a good brand. Is their Wildfire II a decent product? Does anybody have any other recommendations?

I plan on buying a electronic call this weekend. From what I have read the Foxpro seems to be a good brand. Is their Wildfire II a decent product? Does anybody have any other recommendations?

I intended to purchase the FP Wildfire II, but the shelf was full of only Spitfires and one Shockwave. I grabbed the Shockwave. No dissapointments with it at all, but the Wildfire II would've have sufficed. Check out the FP FoxJack decoy, which replaces the battery compartment door of the e-call.

Now, if my *#$@%#$ LTC renewal would finally make it into my hands...

went out snowmobiling yesterday and checked on a deer carcass I put out over a week ago and it was hardly touched. I think maybe a fox has been chewing on it but that's it.
makes me think the deep snow keeps them out of these woods? (2' deep snow) & there were loads of tracks before these recent storms.

fyi, I wired half the carcass about 4 feet up a tree to get the scent out there and make them work for it, and the ribs wired at ground level.

went out snowmobiling yesterday and checked on a deer carcass I put out over a week ago and it was hardly touched. I think maybe a fox has been chewing on it but that's it.
makes me think the deep snow keeps them out of these woods? (2' deep snow) & there were loads of tracks before these recent storms.

fyi, I wired half the carcass about 4 feet up a tree to get the scent out there and make them work for it, and the ribs wired at ground level.

Try lower areas if near water. They will patrol up and down brooks and streams. Also, they will run the snowmobile trails if the snow is deep.

So shotgun is ok for night hunting in MA? My buddy just got his hunter ed certificate and wants to get out there before the season ends, ive never hunted yote in MA though. If im reading MA Wildlife website right I can hunt Martin Burns WMA, anyone have any luck there after dark? I picked up a 'coyote hooker' mouth call at bass pro last weekend, going to practice see if I get lucky, probably upgrade to an electronic call next season.

So shotgun is ok for night hunting in MA? My buddy just got his hunter ed certificate and wants to get out there before the season ends, ive never hunted yote in MA though. If im reading MA Wildlife website right I can hunt Martin Burns WMA, anyone have any luck there after dark? I picked up a 'coyote hooker' mouth call at bass pro last weekend, going to practice see if I get lucky, probably upgrade to an electronic call next season.

No....22lr is.

No....22lr is.

Alright im reading some places saying its ok and others saying only 22, I want to call fish & game tomorow anyway so ill have to double check. Do many people actually have luck with a .22? I know im not using a 38 with no light and getting close enough for a good shot.

.... I'm going to try my luck at setting up a bait site, by deploying a baitcicle. I'll probably just set up a cam on it for a while to see how it plays out.

Check it: http://www.military.com/entertainment/outdoor-guide/predator/predator-baiting-the-next-level.html

After dealing with PNY SD cards crapping out in sub-zero temps, I set the cam back up with "freeze proof" Sandisk cards. I retrieved it today, and it looks like the baitcicle produced some activity. And, the cam shows recent coyote activity at all hours of the day. I had the camera setup to also take time lapse photos, but it only worked some of the time.

Here's a link to some of the pics http://imgur.com/a/3d7ZC

re: baitcicle

I'd kept a few pheasant carcasses on ice, from bird season. Thawed them out, and put them in a plastic garbage barrel. Tossed in a couple handfuls of dry dog food & cat food, and mixed in an old can of sardines. Poured some scalding hot water in, to get the contents to mix, and set it outside overnight when we had sub-zero temps. A bit of warm water was all it took to get the block of ice to release from the barrel. I'll tell you hwut though, that thing was not easy to get out into the woods.

throw a piece of rope or wire into the mix before u freeze it, that way you can wire it to a tree at your hunting spot. they'll run off w the whole thing or with the pieces first chance they get.

I put the camera back up near the baitcicle, and freshened up the site a bit with some morsels. Set up near it last night, and had one come in after using a coaxer near dusk. Nothing tonight. I'm going to leave it be for a while, but I did pull the memory card:

https://vimeo.com/88083131

Last edited:
Can anyone clairify using a night vision scope on yote at night is legal? Is it considered "artificial Light"? If legal any ideas what works good?

Thanks

Can anyone clairify using a night vision scope on yote at night is legal? Is it considered "artificial Light"? If legal any ideas what works good?

Thanks

If you are in Mass, it is legal. A night vision scope collects all available light, it does not generate light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When are we going to see some dead yote pics?

Maybe next season, when I've got some NV gear. I missed out on some full moon action while I was waiting for my LTC renewal (grace period exceeded).

I've been setting up in the late afternoon but have only had one critter come in. With only a shard of moonlight now, my shotgun's sights are useless by 7pm. I pulled the card from my cam over the baitcicle (to which I added a fresh roadkill opossum), and it seems the activity has shifted from late evening, to early morning, around 5 AM.

When are we going to see some dead yote pics?

Wasnt in the cards for me unfortunately. My wife was sick, my 1.5year son was sick, I was sick rinse and repeat december-now. Stupid winter passing nasty viruses back and forth (my wife even had walking pneumonia early on). First year I have gotten sick in almost 4 years (and more than once).

Tried calling in a cat yesterday afternoon, with no luck. I could only put in a half hour on stand, and headed downwind on the way out, only to find a fresh set of coyote tracks in the snow headed towards where I had the caller! Then the tracks doubled back with large bounds, crossing where I'd hiked in earlier. D'oh! This was @ 2:30pm, in bright sunlight. Went out again during the last couple hours of the season, but the wind started kicking hard, so I called it a day/night/season.

My first season of putting some time into predator hunting, and I'm liking it. No results to show for all the hours put in, but I'll be better prepared next season. And, I won't be out of it for weeks while awaiting my LTC renewal. One thing I regret not doing was keeping a log of of the sets. The baitcicle idea worked out, but I'll have to better manage & log that next time around.

Monday, I'm going to bring a couple of crow decoys with me when I retrieve my camera over the baitcicle. Never have hunted crows specifically.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom