coyote hunters check in here!

I've seen lots of people use .223, I'm going to use it. If I had a 45-70 I would use that. I'm not looking for meat from the yote, I want to kill the hell out of it and all of it's friends.

[rofl] I think you just won this thread.

Where are you planning on hunting? I went to Miles Standish State Forest with my father tonight, we had a pair or 3 around us yelping, couldn't get 'em into the open for a shot.

I know...lol a .30 cal hole is not that bad.

They say if you HAVE TO use something this big, to use FMJ so it just "pencils through".

I've seen lots of people use .223, I'm going to use it. If I had a 45-70 I would use that. I'm not looking for meat from the yote, I want to kill the hell out of it and all of it's friends.

I'm not saying if I had a .223 and nothing else, that I wouldn't use it. It is pretty much close enough and will do an adequate job. At least it is more humane than a rimfire.

Hell I'll put out tannerite filled hot dogs and make gut shots if I get the chance.

[shocked][angry][frown][laugh][devil][troll][jihad][mg][flame]
Really, I am assuming you are just kidding here, D., because as far as I know ya, you've always seemed like a sportsman up until this statement.

Last edited:
They are one of God's creatures, and possibly the ultimate predator. They deserve respect well above that due a rat. Though I have cats and fear a coyote will eat them, I would never gut shoot one nor shoot one out of season to leave a litter of pups to die of starvation. Derek, you really need to go check out coyotegods.com and see for yourself. They are pretty harsh over there, but they do know stuff about this animal.

Like I said, even .223 is kinda frowned upon as too big.

Frowned upon by whom, and why? A lot of what I've read posted by coyote "hunters" is from people living out west, where 300+ yd shots are common. Myself, I don't see me needing to compensate for wind drift at the ranges of shots I'm likely to deal with in my vicinity.

I don't hunt at all anymore - gave it up as a hobby 20-years ago, but still have the ability to do so if I choose. I live and let live until I need to hunt. The exception is for the coyote. I do have a lot of respect for the species, but they are clearly out of control - at least around here. Our biggest fear is our dog deciding to run, because it's rare that a dog that gets into the woods on it's own around here ever returns. I found a black lab gutted up on the cobble last year - sad. I have not had the chance to shoot one yet, but have some nice 110gr .308 Hornady TAP waiting for them....[wink]

BTW - I do not hunt, but I do follow it and know a thing or three about ballistics. Whomever thinks .223 is too heavy for coyote must have a carbon monoxide leak in their basement...[wink]

BTW - I do not hunt, but I do follow it and know a thing or three about ballistics. Whomever thinks .223 is too heavy for coyote must have a carbon monoxide leak in their basement...[wink]

I think their issue with it is about doing minimal damage to the pelt, so they can get the highest price for the pelt when selling it.

I think their issue with it is about doing minimal damage to the pelt, so they can get the highest price for the pelt when selling it.

I hear you, but would argue that a .223 Hornady TAP in the 55gr, 62gr or even 75gr will make a .22 entrance hole and zero exit....I have some if any reliable yote shooter wants to see if I'm right, (which I think I am)....

I hear you, but would argue that a .223 Hornady TAP in the 55gr, 62gr or even 75gr will make a .22 entrance hole and zero exit....I have some if any reliable yote shooter wants to see if I'm right, (which I think I am)....

i was thinking the same. i have some winchester supreme balistic silvertip 45gr ammo for my AR that i think would do a great job

You may well be correct. I've never shot a yote, so I have no personal experience in this regard.

Hell I'll put out tannerite filled hot dogs and make gut shots if I get the chance.

A man after my own heart.

I figure I might be able to get Cheryl into hunting coyotes after I get back from Afghanistan in 2010-2011, and that will be because I've promised her a Barrett (hint, not a 5.56 or 6.8 either) and she's going to want to try it out on something other than deer. I figure a .50 BMG won't be too much, other than possibly wrecking the pelt.

Me? I intend to use a 7.62x54R with 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, or a .308 Win with some homemade M852 Match ammo (168 gr Sierra Match Kings). Good practice for those "Varmint Rifles" (PSL and Rem 600 with Hart barrel and McMillan stock).

Humane? Well, it's going to be quick kills, and no less humane than what the coyote does to other critters.

By the way, if I have to shoot one in the yard, it's getting 64 gr Winchester soft points, or M855 Ball.

I'll make sure I get a video and pics when I zap one with a 77gr round.

I'll be curious to see that. I'll give you a few rounds of TAP in .223 as well - want to see what it does, (and does not do). I'm less confident, but would almost venture that even the 110gr .308 TAP will not penetrate a coyote through and through...

My father and I went to Miles Standish last night around 4 PM and we set up on the side of a small clearing and called for about 30 minutes with no luck. Then we moved back down the trail to a larger open field with an L shaped tree line that cut the field in two, my Dad started calling and we managed to bring 2 or 3 within 30 feet of us but we couldn't get them to come out of the tree line for a shot at them. We were using a squeaker call, it's a ribbed rubber tube with a wooden ring at the end that houses a reed and sounds like a distressed rabbit.

One of the biggest problems was the lack of light. We took a Mag Light, but it wasn't really effective at lighting up a large area quickly, and I think the white light was spooking them. Also, I had trouble seeing the white bead on the end of my Mossy, and the TruGlo Red Dot is actually working against me as when I turn on the dot, all I can see is red through the tube!!

My Pops is on vacation next week so we're gonna try to go out in the morning and take my .30-06 too.

Any suggestions for getting them in the last 30 feet, or tips on lighting?

Frowned upon by whom, and why? A lot of what I've read posted by coyote "hunters" is from people living out west, where 300+ yd shots are common. Myself, I don't see me needing to compensate for wind drift at the ranges of shots I'm likely to deal with in my vicinity.

The "Coyote Gods", of course.

For all of you with questions, I suggest you go join and participate in the forums over at http://www.coyotegods.com/ and it should answer any questions you might have far, far better than I ever could. Besides, maybe there could be some good publicity for NES over there. (-:

Last edited:
I'm shooting 32 gr .22LR

I'll let you know how it goes when I shoot one... One came up on me within 10 yards yesterday, almost knocked me over! I raised the gun, didn't even had time to get shot off, he bolted to the right....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom