coyote hunters check in here!

Hey guys,

Its getting to be that time of the year where the snow in the ground really lights up the woods at night, and i will be going out as soon as we get our first combination of a full moon and snow on the ground (and motivation lol).

Im also looking to go out with a rifle during in the early morning to see if i can get a few long range shots in with my AR. I have an absolutely perfect position to set up on not too far from my house that is aproximately 35 feet off the ground with 360 degrees of prime hunting around it (field, 3 good size ponds, a well traveled deer run, and some dense brush loaded with rabbit) where the coyotes are very prevalant ( tracks are everywhere, i have walked up on them while bird hunting, and hear them howling and yipping on a nightly basis)

Does anyone on here go out for coyote either during the day (when rifles can be used) or at night with 22's and pistols?

I just wanted to hear from any one who has experience, any tips, tricks or advise you could provide me. Thanks

I'm into coyote hunting too!

I've gone a few nights with my father on Sagamore Hill, but we've been unsuccessful.

We've got an electronic call and we were able to get them to howl back at us last friday night, but I don't think we were deep enough in the woods to lure 'em in for a shot. I've been taking my 12 gauge Mossberg with 3 inch "Dead Coyote" T size shot loads.

I'm a little confused on the wording of the abstracts, and have gotten mixed responses on the boards. Is it legal to hunt coyotes with rifles chambered larger than .22 during the day? It seems to me that shotguns are the only thing allowed at night.

Where do you hunt?

I'm into coyote hunting too!

I've gone a few nights with my father on Sagamore Hill, but we've been unsuccessful.

We've got an electronic call and we were able to get them to howl back at us last friday night, but I don't think we were deep enough in the woods to lure 'em in for a shot. I've been taking my 12 gauge Mossberg with 3 inch "Dead Coyote" T size shot loads.

I'm a little confused on the wording of the abstracts, and have gotten mixed responses on the boards. Is it legal to hunt coyotes with rifles chambered larger than .22 during the day? It seems to me that shotguns are the only thing allowed at night.

Where do you hunt?

do you have anymore info on those loads that your using? where did you find them ive been looking for a good coyote round.

during the day all caliber rifles are legal (not during deer season however). at night you are limited to 22lr rifles or pistols that are "38 caliber or smaller". As for shotguns im confused myself as to whether those are alowed at night time or only during the day. I know that slugs and "larger than FF shot is limited to shotgun deer season.

i hunt about 3/4 of a mile through the woods from my house in swansea

I'm using Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote 3" shells. I think they're made of tungsten or some other kind of metal that's heavier than lead, giving them their extra range/punch. They are quite expensive however, I picked up a box of 10 shells at M&M Plymouth Bay Outfitters for $40 and change.

I'm going to call the MassWildlife department tomorrow to see if I can get some final clarification on when and what is legal, haha.

ETA: They're T sized shot, so they're smaller than FF. This Wikipedia link has charts that compare the sizes of the shot.

I'm going to call the MassWildlife department tomorrow to see if I can get some final clarification on when and what is legal, haha.

Thanks for the info on the shells ill have to check those out!

As for mass wildlife, I called the head of mass wildlife last year when the rifle regulations changed for clarification and he basically just started screaming about how the rugulations are clearly stated in the abstracts and how i was wasting his time. hes a very nice guy lol

Thanks for the info on the shells ill have to check those out!

As for mass wildlife, I called the head of mass wildlife last year when the rifle regulations changed for clarification and he basically just started screaming about how the rugulations are clearly stated in the abstracts and how i was wasting his time. hes a very nice guy lol

What a jerk!! I deal with people yelling on the phone all the time, so I'll give him a call. [smile]

In regards to the light, we always bring a flashlight for safety. I can't understand why they would want you shooting blindly in the dark....[thinking]

Okay....after reading this information I know understand the rules as rifles are allowed during the day, and shotguns and .22s are allowed at night. During the shotgun deer season you have to follow the rules of shotgun deer season, regarding hunting hours, blaze orange requirements, etc.

So I'll stick with my Mossberg 500 during the day, loaded with the 3" Dead Coyote shells until deer season is over.

Do you think a light .30-06 is too much for coyote??

Okay....after reading this information I know understand the rules as rifles are allowed during the day, and shotguns and .22s are allowed at night. During the shotgun deer season you have to follow the rules of shotgun deer season, regarding hunting hours, blaze orange requirements, etc.

So I'll stick with my Mossberg 500 during the day, loaded with the 3" Dead Coyote shells until deer season is over.

right but im not sure if shotguns are allowed at night, and the way i under stand it is that shot sizes FF or smaller can be used at anypoint in the coyote seaseon, but any buck shot larger or slugs is limited to shotgun deer season lol

and i dont know i was thinking of using my 8mm mauser or my AR lol

Does anyone on here go out for coyote ... with 22's and pistols?

I just wanted to hear from any one who has experience, any tips, tricks or advise you could provide me. Thanks

Go to www.coyotegods.com and ask away. No, .22 is considered too light for coyote, as is .22Mag and .17HMR. The preferred rounds are in rough order: .17 Remington, .204 Ruger, .22 Hornet, .17 Fireball, .223, and a bunch of wildcats.

See above. Basically, .223 is considered to be too big, so from .223 on down to .22 Hornet. Anything larger will ruin the pelts. If I had a few spare bucks, I'd get a .19 Calhoon, a .17 Fireball, or a .20 VarTarg.

A quick search on NES found these VERY similar threads:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15613&highlight=coyote

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11906&highlight=coyote

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14772&highlight=coyote

i was just thinking, how would a 5.7x28 caliber pistol be for hunting coyote? Id think it would be an awsome coyote round, it would be capable of relatively long range, and would qualify for night hunting since it is below .38 caliber right?

I was just looking. I have some 140gr cartridges and I have seen some 110 gr. I would just go with a light, fast round. That said, I would shoot at a coyote with a 180 if that's all I had. It's not like he thing is gonna blow up. It just makes a hole my friends...lol

I was just looking. I have some 140gr cartridges and I have seen some 110 gr. I would just go with a light, fast round. That said, I would shoot at a coyote with a 180 if that's all I had. It's not like he thing is gonna blow up. It just makes a hole my friends...lol

[laugh] The caliber concern is over the SIZE of the hole. Time to go to ammo shopping!

Like I said, even .223 is kinda frowned upon as too big.

I've seen lots of people use .223, I'm going to use it. If I had a 45-70 I would use that. I'm not looking for meat from the yote, I want to kill the hell out of it and all of it's friends.

Back
Top Bottom