• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cougar Spotted in Alstead, NH

Just once, I would like to see one person with a half decent camera take a half decent picture
of these (and other) critters in denial by the wildlife professionals.

It seems that all the outdoors enthusiasts are a bunch of morons when it comes to cameras.

I do have a friend that works (volunteers) in one of the NH park systems that swears he has
seen cougar (and he is proficient with a camera) but says he has not had an opportunity to
take a picture just yet,.

From a co-worker in Western, MA

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Hmm. Like el duderino says, looks like a lion... but hard to tell for sure with the tail like that (why do all these always look like bigfoot quality pics? [laugh]), like I suppose it could be a really big bobber, especially with nothing for real scale? Tail seems to be striped (hard to tell but looks short for a lion... but long for a bobcat) and there's what looks like a tuft from the ruff under the neck.

I've seen some really big bobcats this last couple years:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 12_2011-bob.jpg
    12_2011-bob.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 06_2012-bob.jpg
    06_2012-bob.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 206
From a co-worker in Western, MA

View attachment 47269

When I was in the Berkshires hunting, a local couple who'd live there their whole life matter of factly told me there were Mt. Lions in them thar hills. They each had had multiple sightings, seen footprints, heard stories. I don't doubt it at all, I'm just bummed they're eating all the deer. [laugh]

Edit- Although, looking at the picture again, I'm not sure that's a lion. The face and tail look a little off.

Last edited:
It does, but that's a pretty big lynx, more than likely a bobcat.

..ummwhat? A Canada Lynx is larger than a bobcat. Not that there's a huge difference, both are lynxes.

The wildlife biologists disagree with me and give them different taxological names, but for all practical purposes a lynx is just a long-legged bobcat with a thicker ruff.

A chupacabra was also spotted in Lawrence, MA.

Hoax, turned out to be another sewer rat officially, but I think they're just saying that so the feds don't come in and make them a protected species.

..ummwhat? A Canada Lynx is larger than a bobcat. Not that there's a huge difference, both are lynxes.

The wildlife biologists disagree with me and give them different taxological names, but for all practical purposes a lynx is just a long-legged bobcat with a thicker ruff.

Well now I know, everything I've seen on lynxes have been small maybe less than 25lb.

Who still uses a film camera anyway? That alone raises a red flag.

Quite a few people, actually. Or hadn't you noticed that places like CVS still sell 35mm film?

I just gave my old Canon AE1 to MrsMagnum's sister (currently deployed in the mid-East). Can't wait to see the pix she comes back with.

I will take a picture of the cougar who frequents our neighborhood when the wife isn't around....yesterday, the cougar was wearing a pink top that showed mucho skin and white tights.....long, shapely legs...very pleasant sighting.
Yeah, Cougar sightngs of that type are routine in Boston.

Back
Top Bottom