• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cougar Spotted in Alstead, NH

Unpossible. Fish & Game assures us there are no mountain lions in the Northeast. [thinking] Love the comment from the guy who took the picture:

“I've had problems with Fish and Game and do not want to be involved with them in any way,”

Does anyone know the reason NH F&G is being so wierd about admitting that there are big cats in NH? I have heard the same story about F&G discrediting people with cat sightings for years now.

Does anyone know the reason NH F&G is being so wierd about admitting that there are big cats in NH? I have heard the same story about F&G discrediting people with cat sightings for years now.

Because then the feds would declare it to be endangered in the east, resulting in restrictions on land use.

Because then the feds would declare it to be endangered in the east, resulting in restrictions on land use.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/livi...while-state-denies-mountain-lions-are-in.html

Fish and Game goes too far in saying there are no mountain lions here, he told an audience of about three dozen people, and for understandable reasons.

If Fish and Game said yes, it would have to come up with a management plan, the cats would have to be protected and “elements of the hunting population” would object, Erler said.

Saying there are mountain lions in New Hampshire, Erler said, would “create a hornets’ nest I wouldn’t want to step into.”

But Eric Orff, a retired wildlife biologist with Fish and Game who kept track of sighting reports for 30 years, said all reports proved to be false, and if there have ever been any of the animals on the loose, they were escapees from private owners.

This, it really would be a nightmare for the residents to declare that they are here. I am more than happy to let the NHF&G tell us that officially there are no mountain lions in NH, I don't need their validation to confirm something I know is true

This, it really would be a nightmare for the residents to declare that they are here. I am more than happy to let the NHF&G tell us that officially there are no mountain lions in NH, I don't need their validation to confirm something I know is true

+1

Looks fake to me, stuffed and mounted. Convenient it was the last picture on his roll of film. On another note, I know they are up there, have heard them and seen signs of their presence.

I understand completely. But the idealist in me just gets pissed off that our laws are so @#@#%#$% up that employees of one branch of government have to lie to us (and lie badly) to avoid the infeasible regulations of a different branch of government. The hypocrisy just ticks me off.

My wife claims to have seen one years ago in Western Mass while horseback riding. This one, though looks like a taxidermy job to me. Seems to me his tail would be up higher and why would a cat going through the underbrush be climbing a fallen tree?

Last edited:
I have witnessed one first hand in Charlemont Mass. I was only 30 feet from it and it was paying very close attention to my friend. So I let a round loose to scare it off. I called mass wildlife and they told me the same B.S. This was in 1994.

Thank you for looking
Scott

That's funny, it does have the classic mounted pose--on the log and everything! To bad he didn't take some photos of foot prints or something.

Both CT and NH claim that any cougars in the wild are non-native pets released, so that sort of backs the argument that they don't want endangered species claims.

Big cats do have that top-of-the-food-chain glare though. I saw wild tigers in India and they hat the typical catitude. They knew we were there but barely looked at us. Then when it had enough of being stared at it just got up and walked away with just a glance of eye contact. They know they can tare you apart but save their energy for something tastier.

What's up with NH fish and game? Are they stupid or power hungry?

I don't understand why cougars always make the news, what are the threats they pose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

What's up with NH fish and game? Are they stupid or power hungry?

I don't understand why cougars always make the news, what are the threats they pose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

This is actually a case where fish and game is trying to help the public, declaring their presence would bring the fed in to skullf*ck hunting regs and where you can hunt. Cougars are like bear around here, theres so very few it scares the moonbats if they were to spot one. Theres wolves around too, but they get the same treatment as cougars. As far as threat to people, until cougars around here realize they can take down a mountain biker for an easy meal like they do out west, its minimal.

So if there are no cougars in NH, nobody could conceivably shoot one, right? Seems to me if they ARE there, all you would need to do is shoot it (It's coming right for us!) and carry it to the F&G offices, to prove it exists. There don't appear to be any law that says you CAN'T shoot one (especially if they're non-existant)

You'd also think that an animal like that would be hungry, killing and eating at least a deer a week. Where are the dead deer carcases?

LOL THIS!
But really would would happen if you were to spot and kill one?
And as far as the picture goes, it's so shitty it almost looks fake but who knows.....

I'm sure that Fish & Game would find something to charge you with.

I dont buy it. Guy doesnt want to be IDed, last pic on the film roll etc. I bet if you go into his house you will find a similar mounted cat staring at you in the living room.

I would be more inclined to believe some grainy cell phone pics of a cat running away.

I'm sure that Fish & Game would find something to charge you with.

Or maybe they would take the carcass, bury it somewhere, and tell you to get lost. If they arrest/charge someone, then there is a record and the lion or whatever it is, is now evidence. Better to tell someone to go screw.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom