• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH grey squirrel 2023

whacko

NES Member
Hitting the woods tomorrow morning for some bushy tails as sunup. Haven't taken the shotgun for a walk in the woods since my failed turkey season. Gonna be a nice morning for a walk.

I'll have the old a5 my son will have his cz .17hmr.

Got out today and yesterday. Didn’t find anything today besides some wild grapes. Yesterday saw one in a tree that got away, and three one the ground. Only two of those got away. Hardly found any hickory nuts. That’s where I’ve found success in the past

Got out today and yesterday. Didn’t find anything today besides some wild grapes. Yesterday saw one in a tree that got away, and three one the ground. Only two of those got away. Hardly found any hickory nuts. That’s where I’ve found success in the past.
First couple weeks of September the squirrels concentrate on those hickory nuts......our first few trips we always check the hickory stands. I have my on x hunt app loaded with way points where the big hickory trees are.

Got out today and yesterday. Didn’t find anything today besides some wild grapes. Yesterday saw one in a tree that got away, and three one the ground. Only two of those got away. Hardly found any hickory nuts. That’s where I’ve found success in the past

3 this morning. Had one on the ground 2 minutes after legal light.
20230903_094244.jpg

Last edited:
Got 2 more in an hour this morning. Very active there were squirrels chasing each other everywhere. Would have stayed longer but the skeeters were brutal and even using insect repellant spray every 10 minutes I was getting eaten alive. Thickest skeeters I've ever dealt with they are real bad this year.

So we got 5 in the freezer now. I'll take a break till the weather gets colder and kills off this last hatch of blood suckers.

Got 2 more in an hour this morning. Very active there were squirrels chasing each other everywhere. Would have stayed longer but the skeeters were brutal and even using insect repellant spray every 10 minutes I was getting eaten alive. Thickest skeeters I've ever dealt with they are real bad this year.

So we got 5 in the freezer now. I'll take a break till the weather gets colder and kills off this last hatch of blood suckers.
Nice. Waiting for the weather to cool myself. Haven't bought the MA lisc yet......and not sure I'm going to since I'm dogless this year.

Didn't buy the NH lisc yet, but I just got 50 acres of private to hunt in Raymond. Might do some stand hanging and squirrel hunting........or I might just buy the bow lisc as well, and start killing deer on the 15th.

Ended up getting 3 today while going to hang some sticks for deer hunting. Wounded one more who crawled into a hollow tree. Missed another that got away. So close to a limit

Ended up getting 3 today while going to hang some sticks for deer hunting. Wounded one more who crawled into a hollow tree. Missed another that got away. So close to a limit
Sounds like a good day!

Went out for 2 hours with my son before sunset last night. Heard plenty barking but couldn't pin any down to get a shot they were playing hard to get. Checked a field i know has rabbit on the way out just before dark.....bumped two does back into the woods. Stooped at dunks for coffee on the way home.

It was a nice afternoon.

Just about time to switch to deer mode.....will check zero on the muzzle loaders and shotguns this weekend.

It was a nice afternoon.

Just about time to switch to deer mode.....will check zero on the muzzle loaders and shotguns this weekend.
This....spend my afternoon sighting the Ruger M77 44 mag bolt gun and Ruger/Marlin 1894 44 mag, and the .308 for a spot a little further west that allows real rifles.

Need to take a trip up to NH to hang some sticks and sets. Gonna be heavy into doing some other stuff, so skipping the bowhunting this year. Not even sure Ill do MZ....but I might get tag for that.

My buddy keeps asking me to go to Maine....he just got a buck there this weekend with the bow, and gave me access to 80 acres and a cabin, plus a friend from work has 100 acres not too far that I could hunt too that my friend says is a great area.

Lots of places to hunt.....too little time.

Got a grey and a red today with my son.
I’ve never eaten or even shot a red and I hear they taste like pine. Hopefully it doesn’t suck. I don’t mind gin so maybe it’s good with tonic and lemon.

Got a grey and a red today with my son.
I’ve never eaten or even shot a red and I hear they taste like pine. Hopefully it doesn’t suck. I don’t mind gin so maybe it’s good with tonic and lemon.
Sounds like a good day! Reds taste fine.....just gotta shoot a few more of em to make a good meal.

Family has 2 deer in the freezer at this point I got a smallish 5 point 2 year old deer yesterday. Feels good to know the freezers gonna be full. No "pressure" to hit the woods at this point I can just go if I feel like it. Tomorrow I'm meeting my brother who's a newer hunter I'll sit with him for deer. Might not even bring the long gun......handguns are legal where we will be I might just toss the 629 in my chest rig just in case we get lucky and see a pair.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good day! Reds taste fine.....just gotta shoot a few more of em to make a good meal.

Family has 2 deer in the freezer at this point I got a smallish 5 point 2 year old deer yesterday. Feels good to know the freezers gonna be full. No "pressure" to hit the woods at this point I can just go if I feel like it. Tomorrow I'm meeting my brother who's a newer hunter I'll sit with him for deer. Might not even bring the long gun......handguns are legal where well me I might just toss the 629 in my chest rig just in case we get lucky and see a pair.
Good to know.
Yeah I’ve got a cow fattening up in the back yard so I’m not too worried about meat in the freezer. It’s a nice treat to fry up some squirrel though.

Went out for an hour in southern nh. Got one. Forgot to change to my full choke on the shotgun.....3 shots to get him.....thought I had the full choke in and shot from about 50 yards. Oops.

Nice walk.

Been having a ball myself.

Attachments

• signal-2023-12-23-115450_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-12-23-115450_002.jpeg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 17
  • signal-2023-12-29-161802.jpeg
    signal-2023-12-29-161802.jpeg
    989.3 KB · Views: 16
  • signal-2023-12-15-163747.jpg
    signal-2023-12-15-163747.jpg
    991.7 KB · Views: 15
  • signal-2023-12-20-071815_005.jpeg
    signal-2023-12-20-071815_005.jpeg
    953.1 KB · Views: 15
  • signal-2023-12-20-071815_004.jpeg
    signal-2023-12-20-071815_004.jpeg
    975.9 KB · Views: 16
  • signal-2023-12-20-071815_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-12-20-071815_002.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Went out with my son this morning for 2 hours. Woods were insanely quiet not a sound......nothing moving at all. Packed it up at 9am. Just one of those days.

Back
Top Bottom