Costco ammo cans

Pretty sure they don't even know what a LTC is [laugh]

You'd be surprised. I have known a number of employees over the 20+ years I've been a member and there are some that are gun owners and others that are absolute 2A supporters but not gun owners. I've had one take one of the NRA Personal Protection classes from me. I'm a exec business member and have made no secret of what I do to supplement my retirement, so firearms and firearms laws have been the topic of some discussions. Some of those folks are in management, not just cashiers and stock clerks (although their policy is that each employee can and will do any job in the warehouse).

Regardless of corporate policy/leanings/donations, I can tell you that the local folks in NH and MA Costcos are our friends.

You'd be surprised. I have known a number of employees over the 20+ years I've been a member and there are some that are gun owners and others that are absolute 2A supporters but not gun owners. I've had one take one of the NRA Personal Protection classes from me. I'm a exec business member and have made no secret of what I do to supplement my retirement, so firearms and firearms laws have been the topic of some discussions. Some of those folks are in management, not just cashiers and stock clerks (although their policy is that each employee can and will do any job in the warehouse).

Regardless of corporate policy/leanings/donations, I can tell you that the local folks in NH and MA Costcos are our friends.

I've always found Costco to be a very friendly and shockingly happy place. I would certainly still shop there if there were one closer to me.

I've always found Costco to be a very friendly and shockingly happy place. I would certainly still shop there if there were one closer to me.

Yes, employees make a career in that place. I had one cashier I got friendly with tell me that "where else can you make >$20/hr as a cashier!" She started working there right out of high school. When she moved with her BF to CA she had a hard time getting a transfer to a CA Costco . . . as there is so little turnover and heavy competition for jobs in that store.

I had an interesting interaction at Costco this weekend. I stopped in to the Dedham store and picked up 3 cans. At the checkout lane I put the 3 cans on the end of the belt, then moved forward to stand in front of the cashier. Appearing almost out of nowhere, two employees(older gentelman and woman) started checking out/inspecting the cans. I wasnt really in the mood to make small talk and in the back of my mind was thinking, "ah great, what are these two doing". The woman made a comment like "what are those?....I was a little freaked out when I saw them sitting there on the belt....you never know with everything that's going on these days". What the hell is that supposed to mean? She doesn't know what they are but apparently they look militaristic to her and that "freaks her out". The older gentleman then explains "no....these are like what they USED to put ammo in, people use them like a strong box now though....you know to put like papers and things in". I felt like saying "bitch please, Im going to fill everyone of theses with ammo when I get home. I may even come back and get a few more and Im going to fill everyone of those with ammo TOO". Anyway, the ignorant babble between the two employees and the cashier continues and I mostly tune it out while Im paying. Then the woman, still freaked out by these "EVIL military grade" ammo cans says "......maybe we should write down his name, just in case". Yes, it was a joke but I must say I was mildly annoyed by it. Mostly because of the way the whole thing went down, her general ignorance and attitude from the start. After that last comment my wife gave the cashier a death stare[rofl]. At which point she repeated several times "oh Im sorry, I hope we didnt offend you" as I picked up my stuff to walk away. I just nodded and gave a slight smirk. I felt like lifting up my shirt and saying "those ammo cans freak you out??....what do you think of the glock on my hip?" Then watch as their heads all explode[rofl]. Anyway, Im sure a lot of people would have had some strong words with these employees. Me, I just let most things roll off. I just figure it isnt worth the time or effort.

Last edited:
tripletaco,

If this happened as you reported it, they were out of line. I forwarded your post to someone I know at that store. Hopefully employees will be told not to do stuff like that again.

The first time I ever saw folks using ammo cans (probably as a teenager) it was fishermen keeping their gear dry. I've also seen lots of tradespeople use them (mostly bigger ones) for tools and such in the 1970s. The very first very large cans (US Navy) I bought were in the window of a oil burner repair company next door to Ivanhoe's in Watertown Square. They were in the window, so I asked them if they would sell them to me, got them very cheaply.

I had an interesting interaction at Costco this weekend. I stopped in to the Dedham store and picked up 3 cans. At the checkout lane I put the 3 cans on the end of the belt, then moved forward to stand in front of the cashier. Appearing almost out of nowhere, two employees(older gentelman and woman) started checking out/inspecting the cans. I wasnt really in the mood to make small talk and in the back of my mind was thinking, "ah great, what are these two doing". The woman made a comment like "what are those?....I was a little freaked out when I saw them sitting there on the belt....you never know with everything that's going on these days". What the hell is that supposed to mean? She doesn't know what they are but apparently they look militaristic to her and that "freaks her out". The older gentleman then explains "no....these are like what they USED to put ammo in, people use them like a strong box now though....you know to put like papers and things in". I felt like saying "bitch please, Im going to fill everyone of theses with ammo when I get home. I may even come back and get a few more and Im going to fill everyone of those with ammo TOO". Anyway, the ignorant babble between the two employees and the cashier continues and I mostly tune it out while Im paying. Then the woman, still freaked out by these "EVIL military grade" ammo cans says "......maybe we should write down his name, just in case". Yes, it was a joke but I must say I was mildly annoyed by it. Mostly because of the way the whole thing went down, her general ignorance and attitude from the start. After that last comment my wife gave the cashier a death stare[rofl]. At which point she repeated several times "oh Im sorry, I hope we didnt offend you" as I picked up my stuff to walk away. I just nodded and gave a slight smirk. I felt like lifting up my shirt and saying "those ammo cans freak you out??....what do you think of the glock on my hip?" Then watch as their heads all explode[rofl]. Anyway, Im sure a lot of people would have had some strong words with these employees. Me, I just let most things roll off. I just figure it isnt worth the time or effort.

At some point during all the stupidity I have little doubt I would have said, "could you two just go away now?"

Some stores' cashiers have to open the container (of any kind) to check and make sure you arent trying to sneak something in them to steal.

Thanks Len. I was doing my best to continue my normal check-out operations and not acknowledge or engage any of the comments being made. I suppose I should have said something. By staying quite it sends a message that the behavior is ok.

I dont run into this level of "gun-shyness"/moonbat-ness (whatever you want to call it) that often. I won't say that the one (woman) employee was genuinely scared but her interest was initially peaked by the mere fact that she simply saw an OD green colored container. So the immediate reaction is guns/terrorists/danger? Thats what we've come to? I dont doubt this woman has ever seen/touched a firearms and is likely terrified of them. I guess I shouldnt be too surprised in Mass, inside the 95 belt. Hindsight is 20/20....maybe i should have invited all of them to the range[rofl].

Some stores' cashiers have to open the container (of any kind) to check and make sure you aren't trying to sneak something in them to steal.

I get this completely but dont think it applies to this interaction at all. Im almost certain the cashier didnt open any of the cans. The two employees yapping at the end of the belt might have opened one, but it wasnt to check the inside. They were just looking it over.

Last edited:
Semi related...

Started night classes at a local high school. Everyone met in the cafeteria the first night regardless of what class they were in. One guy brought a chainsaw for a small engine course which he left on the floor. He goes to use the bathroom or whatever and a lady sbows up and goes to sit in his chair. Kid across the table tells her someone is sitting there and points to the chainsaw. She moves over one seat and then says,"Actually I think I'll sit somewhere away from the chainsaw" ,gets up and sits at the other end of the table. I lol'd and it made me think of how a lot of people react to guns, ammo, etc, and apparently green metal boxes at Costco.

Thanks Len. I was doing my best to continue my normal check-out operations and not acknowledge or engage any of the comments being made. I suppose I should have said something. By staying quite it sends a message that the behavior is ok.

I dont run into this level of "gun-shyness"/moonbat-ness (whatever you want to call it) that often. I won't say that the one (woman) employee was genuinely scared but her interest was initially peaked by the mere fact that she simply saw an OD green colored container. So the immediate reaction is guns/terrorists/danger? Thats what we've come to? I dont doubt this woman has ever seen/touched a firearms and is likely terrified of them. I guess I shouldnt be too surprised in Mass, inside the 95 belt. Hindsight is 20/20....maybe i should have invited all of them to the range[rofl].

A number of employees at that store know that I'm a firearms instructor. I had at least 2 employees when I said something about it express some interest in learning to shoot. Neither ever followed thru (and I did remind them from time to time) however and one has since retired and one moved to CA. No adverse reactions.

This will get resolved favorably, I'm sure of it.

A number of employees at that store know that I'm a firearms instructor. I had at least 2 employees when I said something about it express some interest in learning to shoot. Neither ever followed thru (and I did remind them from time to time) however and one has since retired and one moved to CA. No adverse reactions.

This will get resolved favorably, I'm sure of it.

Hummm. Sounds like a fairly 2A friendly store overall. I guess I just had bad luck. More than anything I wish I could have educated them, rather than just having them reprimanded. The middle of the check out lane probably isnt the place to break down into a pro 2A speech though....

- - - Updated - - -

Semi related...

Started night classes at a local high school. Everyone met in the cafeteria the first night regardless of what class they were in. One guy brought a chainsaw for a small engine course which he left on the floor. He goes to use the bathroom or whatever and a lady sbows up and goes to sit in his chair. Kid across the table tells her someone is sitting there and points to the chainsaw. She moves over one seat and then says,"Actually I think I'll sit somewhere away from the chainsaw" ,gets up and sits at the other end of the table. I lol'd and it made me think of how a lot of people react to guns, ammo, etc, and apparently green metal boxes at Costco.

Watch out lady!.....That chainsaw could "just go off" at any moment!...HA[rofl]

Just came from Danvers during lunch break.
They have them, down the right, last aisle before the bakery, I picked up two.
After seeing the previous poster's experience, I wondered if I'd have any reaction at check out.

Here's my interesting interaction at checkout with the older woman cashier, surrounded by other customers in line:
Elderly cashier: "Oh those look nice... I just joined the NRA you know.." [laugh]
Me: "That's great, good for you."
Other employee: "are those for bullets?"
Older woman cashier: "Yes but they're good for all kinds of stuff"
Me: "My kids like to use them for their nerf gun bullets too."
Other employee: "What a great idea."
Elderly cashier: "Thank you, have a nice day." [smile]

Sounds like your checkout went fine. I just have bad luck then.

I should mention as well, the guy checking receipts at the exit made a comment to me also. But it went something like this:

employee: Are those ammo cans?
Me: yeah
employee: Oh cool. I didnt know we were selling those.
Me: Yeah, you've got a whole pallet on the side wall there. Its a 2 pack, they come with a small one inside too.
employee: Oh cool. Those are great for all kinds of stuff. Im going to have to get a couple.
Me: yeah they're pretty cheap too. Have a good one, man.

Last edited:
Just came from Danvers during lunch break.
They have them, down the right, last aisle before the bakery, I picked up two.
After seeing the previous poster's experience, I wondered if I'd have any reaction at check out.

Here's my interesting interaction at checkout with the older woman cashier, surrounded by other customers in line:
Elderly cashier: "Oh those look nice... I just joined the NRA you know.." [laugh]
Me: "That's great, good for you."
Other employee: "are those for bullets?"
Older woman cashier: "Yes but they're good for all kinds of stuff"
Me: "My kids like to use them for their nerf gun bullets too."
Other employee: "What a great idea."
Elderly cashier: "Thank you, have a nice day." [smile]

I can tell you that the Danvers store also has some pretty 2A friendly management!

Asked someone at Danvers last week and was told they dont carry them and I'd probably have to go to Waltham, lol.

Then if he didn't query their computer you unfortunately ran into a poor example of customer service.

Yeah that's why I opted to call from inside the store to access someone best positioned to punch the SKU into the computer to check inventory. The woman even offered to walk me over if I couldn't find it and called back.

Back
Top Bottom