• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Correct sight usage?

I've been told that focusing on the front sight of a pistol is the correct way to go when shooting. This works fine for shooting center of mass, but with target shooting the target looks blurry when I focus on the front sight. Are there any techniques to overcome this problem?

-Tom

Repeal the laws of optics, or get a red dot or holo sight. The first approach is a lot cheaper, but the second has the advantage of being possible. Seriously, when you're younger your eyes can shift focus rapidly enough so that everything appears to be in focus simultaneously. Once your eyes start to age, iron sights just aren't going to work as easily as they once did for you.

Ken

Focusing on the front sight is the proper way to shoot. It is difficult especially without formal training. But once you do it and do it consistently you will shoot much more accurately. I am consistently reminding myself to focus on the front sight, when I do I hit the target where I want.

I am not and instructor and will not go into the techniques of proper sight alignment b/c I would probably mess you up more but a good instructor will solve your situation.

Now if I can just get my breathing under control….

The target should be blurry. If the target is clear you are not watching your FSP properly. You should still be able to aim center mass at the dark blur (bullseye) behind the front site. If it's blurry to the point where you can't consistantly hit center then you should either look at getting your eyes checked and possibly corrective lenses or do as Ken says and move to optics on the weapon.

This works fine for shooting center of mass, but with target shooting the target looks blurry when I focus on the front sight. Are there any techniques to overcome this problem?—TomH
Tom the general belief in shooting sports is that focusing on the front sight is the most accurate way to shoot. Not being able to focus at two different distances at the same time is normal and not something that can be learned.

The ability to shift from correct sight alignment to proper sight placement and back quickly decreases with age and you may have been fooled into thinking that as a young shooter could do both when actually you were shifting back and fourth more quickly then you can do now.

Of course if you are still a younger shooter then you are more perceptive than many.

If you are interested I’d be happy to explain why I think focusing on the front is correct. But I’m an inaccurate hacker and you might be best served with an explanation from some who knows what they are talking about.

There are tricks and devices that can help you focus on what ever you wish to focus on but nothing that can help you focus on both your front sight and target at the same time (or so I think).

Respectfully,

jkelly

If you scroll down a little bit, you might find some of this useful.

B

+1
This is a 6 O'clock hold. I prefer centermass myself.
f2-4c.gif

jkelly- you humble man you! You're a damn good shooter!

Back on topic- like everyone said... the target should be blurry. You know you have problems when you're focusing on the front sight and you see TWO blurry targets!!

Any techniques? Sure.

Hire a lawyer and sue!

pfft only a liberal would give in so easily!

Seriously though, thanks for the tips, it seems theres 2 opinions, front sight focus ONLY and sort of switching between front sight and target. I'm nearsighted so I use glasses when shooting so vision shouldn't be a problem really. I'm going to practice front sight focus next time I get to the range. [smile]

"Back on topic- like everyone said... the target should be blurry. You know you have problems when you're focusing on the front sight and you see TWO blurry targets!!"

If you keep both eyes open and focus both on the front sight you WILL see two targets down range, since you're essentially crossing your eyes (not to a large degree), it's simply laws of optics.

Last edited:
"Back on topic- like everyone said... the target should be blurry. You know you have problems when you're focusing on the front sight and you see TWO blurry targets!!"

If you keep both eyes open and focus both on the front sight you WILL see two targets down range, since you're essentially crossing your eyes (not to a large degree), it's simply laws of optics.

I'm not so sure about this Tom. You have a dominant eye. Most people can keep both eyes open while using their dominant eye and seeing only one sight picture/target. Some peoples' eyes play tricks as you get older.

Put your finger about 8 inches in front of your face, focus on it, and you'll notice while focusing on this you can see 2 of whatever is in the distance. You only see 'one' of something if you're specifically focusing on it. The dominant eye will cause you not to notice this unless you really pay attention.

It is a well known fact hat the human brain can only focus on one thing at a time. By having an intense mental and visual focus on the front sight while we are adding pressure to the trigger, will avoid the dreaded flinch. You should say to yourself, or say aloud, Front Sight - Preeess. If your thoughts are on the front sight and not on when the gun will go bang, how could you flinch? If you truely achieve a surprise break, how could your mind know when to flinch?

My solution to having the front sight crystal clear was to have my shooting glasses made with the focal point at the end of my arm plus a couple of inches.

it seems theres 2 opinions, front sight focus ONLY and sort of switching between front sight and target.
But only one works all the time: 100% focus on the front sight. Like Ken said, young people with young eyes MAY be able to switch focus so quickly that it appears as if both images are in focus at the same time. Even then, peopel with such eyesight still shoot better when the focus only on the sight. This is probably one of the most difficult issues to overcome with new shooters or shooters who have only used scopes when introducing them to the sport of Highpower Rifle where scopes are not allowed.

This is true only if your eyes are cross dominant or your strong eye is only mildly dominant. If your strong eye is highly dominant, you will never see the dual images.

I have the problem of seeing double with shotguns and rifles, but not with handguns. I think it's because the proximity of the long gun to my left eye makes it want to take over from the right and my brain tries to sort out which image to use. Since I hold handguns far away from my face, my right (mildly dominant) eye stays in control and I see only one set of images.

Back
Top Bottom