• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Using a DeltaPoint Reflex Sight on an M&P9

Hi Everyone, need some advice.

I have a DeltaPoint Reflex Sight mounted on an M&P9, and I am having issues with getting tight groups.

The trigger & DeltaPoint mounting were redone by Bowie Tactical Concepts. I think the trigger is around 3-4 lbs and smooth (it was Bowie's "S" trigger job).

I think it might be a combination of improper sight picture and trigger squeeze, but I'm just not sure. Keep in mind that I'm not very familiar with holographic sights in general.

1. Should you keep the red dot in the center of the glass reticule, or should you try to co-witness it against the iron sights?

2. My first shot seems to be pretty close to center, but anything after that seems to go low and left (I'm a right handed shooter).

I'm using the large backstrap on the pistol, and my hands are about 7.5" long when measure from wrist to middle finger tip.

That trigger correction chart doesn't mean crap. Keep the dot on the center of the glass to prevent parallax error. Keep the dot on target until the shot breaks. Stop flinching

Doubt it has anything to do with the gun - sounds like a technique issue. Have you had any formal training? I'm not talking about an NRA safety class, I mean formal defensive or combat pistol training from a qualified instructor? If not, you really should take the time to do so. A good instructor will identify what you're doing wrong and help you get the most out of that amazing gun you have. I'd recommend NEShooters, and I'm sure there are plenty of other references in the training section.

In the meantime, work a ball and dummy drill into your range time. Get a bunch of snap caps and mix them in with your ammo when you load your mags, so you don't know where they are. Then be mindful of what happens when you hit a dummy round as you shoot. What will probably happen is your gun will jerk (I'm guessing down and to the left). What should happen is nothing - the gun should click and the barrel shouldn't move. Practice dry firing until the gun doesn't move, then reload the gun and go back to the ball and dummy drill. Keep drilling until the barrel doesn't move when you hit a dummy.

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. (gun unloaded, unloaded, unloaded, pointed in a safe direction)

If your first shot is where you want it and followups aren't AND you're not adjusting the sight in between then it's not a deltapoint issue it's a basic technique issue. As Supermoto said just keep the dot in the center of the window, ignore the irons if they're still there, and break a clean shot with no flinching and the hole will end up where you want it to. This would be the same if you were shooting just irons. The point of impact will be slightly different on very close targets due to parallax but the DP is one of the better optics in this area IMO.

Not to raise a post from the dead but...

I see two problems: trigger control/reset and sight picture.

Here's a drill you can do to tighten up the groups:

Bring a friend to the range and load a few magazines. Start at 7 yards, get your sight picture and take the slack out of your trigger. Hold your trigger at "the wall" and have your bud randomly say "now" at which time you break your shot. As soon as you break your shot reset your trigger and take the slack up again and find your "wall" again. It helps to say to yourself "click, slack" as you do this. Repeat the process until you tighten your group up.

Are you shooting with both eyes open? Focus on the target and let the dot appear like you would with an eotech or aimpoint and try to maintain a consistent POA.

Rob

Shoot it from a rest. That should confirm that the gun is shooting to point of aim and that you need to tighten the nut behind the trigger.

Last edited:
I think Supermoto touched on it, but the J Points and similar red dots are parallax sensitive. I would also suggest some good old dry firing between targets or after a shot that is less than desirable in your skill level.

Back
Top Bottom