Cop Kill 5-Year Old Boy

Weather the guy was a cop does not really matter, what matters is that this poor kid was shot b/c some idiot was trying to shot a snake. This tool needs to be punished severely. This is why I hate when people talk about needing a gun for snakes, only discharge your weapon if you truly must and snakes are hardly a good reason. This is a very sad story.

I dont chime in much around here but I agree with Mike.
The man who fired that weapon is soully responsible for where his rounds impact.
(as are we all.)
A young boy is dead because of his stupidity.
Of course he will live with that fact as long as he lives.
Still he should be dealt with properly.

What about animal control? Or does Oklahoma not have any?
Some one was not using their head! Very sad story.

not to get off topic and sound unsympathetic but how the hell did he miss a snake or a whole tree for that matter... An innocent kid is dead because a cop was stupid and a bad shot... Isn't it rule # 1 to be sure that there is no one in your line of fire or directly beyond it when shooting at a target or object... cop needs to do some time...

Animal control is probably non-existent in that area but for the life of me, I cannot understand why a firearm was used in this manner.

the cops should have called animal control but there was absolutely no intent on his part in killing that kid. It was a bad sistuation no doubt and I fear when they prove his bullet killed the boy a life sentence of regret will haunt that officer.

the cops should have called animal control ...

Why did anybody have to call anybody? It's a friggin snake in a friggin tree. Big deal. Leave it alone.

I saw a snake today and didn't call the cops or even feel the need to kill it. There was a squirrel in a tree in front of my house too. Same thing.

the cops should have called animal control but there was absolutely no intent on his part in killing that kid. It was a bad sistuation no doubt and I fear when they prove his bullet killed the boy a life sentence of regret will haunt that officer.
A non-police officer would no doubt be haunted by debts from legal bills and a felony conviction as well.

Why did anybody have to call anybody? It's a friggin snake in a friggin tree. Big deal. Leave it alone.

I saw a snake today and didn't call the cops or even feel the need to kill it. There was a squirrel in a tree in front of my house too. Same thing.

Roger that.

I read on another forum that Animal Control was (supposedly) just recently shut down as a budget move.

So - how much do you think the civil suit from this idiocy "saved" them? [rolleyes]

I agree with you. No need to interfere with nature as long as nobody is threatened and in this case nobody was until the human intervention.

Also, I would assume that in cases like this there has to be a guy in the private sector they can call to come and take care of a situation like this. But if not, you're correct, they should have just left it alone.

Besides, if it was a venomous snake and someone was bitten they would have a much better chance for survival than being shot in the head.

And if they really wanted to knock it out of the tree and/or kill it couldn't they have just called the fire department and had them shoot at it with a 3" line or something? I would imagine that a fire hose up close would do a number on a snake....

Last edited:

Well in this case it was supposed to be a Diamond back Rattler. So a little different than the squirell.

Still doesn't matter if it was a damn bull rhino, the 4 rules always apply!!!

In a TREE?!

Not bloody likely...[rolleyes]

http://newsok.com/article/3098884
"Police had gotten a call of a snake complaint from a woman on Crest Lane, whose 16-year-old daughter saw the snake hanging about 3 feet of its body outside a neighbor's bird house.
The woman, who would not identify herself, told The Oklahoman she called the police station to see if animal control could respond and take care of the snake, which she believed to be a diamondback rattlesnake."

Not saying its true, just saying that how the call to the Police was reported.

http://newsok.com/article/3098884
"Police had gotten a call of a snake complaint from a woman on Crest Lane, whose 16-year-old daughter saw the snake hanging about 3 feet of its body outside a neighbor's bird house.
The woman, who would not identify herself, told The Oklahoman she called the police station to see if animal control could respond and take care of the snake, which she believed to be a diamondback rattlesnake."

Not saying its true, just saying that how the call to the Police was reported.

Maybe she just couldn't pronounce "anaconda"... [laugh]

If the snake really needed to be killed, why not just use some
CCI shotshells? Otherwise shooting at something (especially if
that something is not an imminent threat) hanging in air in a
residential area is just plain stupid and dangerous.

This isn't like a kid who caught a stray bullet from a police
shootout with an armed perp; this is just plain stupidity.

-Mike

Terrible, terrible news. I can't even imagine how that family must be feeling. I also concur with most others in this thread, that cop needs the book throwing at him hard and fast. You can bet your ass that if it was Mr. Civilian who had taken his gun out and shot the snake (on his own property) that he would have been hauled in front of a judge already.

This whole chain of events pisses me off.

The thing starts with a moonbat nanny state "somebody-take-care-of-me" phone call because a 16 year-old girl saw a snake in a tree that she thought was a western diamondback. Just for the record, western diamondbacks are poor climbers and are not found in trees. Ever.

Because a snake scared a girl, the "authorities" are called in. When faced with this situation, here's an ordered list of what they should have done:

1. Leave the snake alone and tell the girl to go home, then leave.
2. Wait for it to come down and step on it.
3. Spray it with water, knock it down and step on it.
4. Throw a stick at it, knock it down and step on it.
5. Spray it with pepper spray, wait for it to fall, and step on it.
1,000,000. Shoot at it.

So what do these shit-kicking redneck cowboys decide to do? Yup. Shoot at it. Twice. Without knowing what was beyond their target. If I saw somebody do this at my range, I'd have them thrown off for life.

The shooter should go to jail, and whoever is responsible for hiring and training him should be fired. They should also fine the idiot that called the cops in the first place. Maybe then people would learn to fend for themselves just a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom