Coonan firearms fiasco

I'd call Bank of America Again. There is no 60 day limitation on fraud. Ask the person who answers for their help. Explain the story, when they say they can't help ask them for a manager who can.
If they continue to tell you they can't help immediately tell them you want to close your account and discontinue using them.
Have another bank account ready to transfer all your funds to.

They should have your back. If they don't, don't give them your business! Find a local credit union to use instead.

Better yet find a bank that is offering some financial incentive to get you to start an account. Move your money over and at least get a little bit of you cash back - indirectly.
Great advice. This is a credit card not a checking/bank account that I have with them - not sure if that matters.

There’s got to be some sort of consumer protection in cases like this. Regardless of the timeframe.

"NRA Carry guard expo"? I believe it was mid september?

I punched in Coonan firearms into a search engine and found some of their twitter stuff. So they're still active to some degree.
I'm not defending what they're doing to you by any means, could be a good chance half of their staff up and quit, might be having issues getting raw materials, might have trouble getting parts shipped in from out of the country.
Looks like they're having problems and trying to pass it off as something else.
Thanks.

I was told by the president that they were having problems with parts that were outsourced and had to be refused. So I have been aware of their problems but they still should be keeping in contact with customers. Not fall off the face of the earth.

I have to agree, deal with your CC and find a better CC. My Citi card lets me dispute charges regardless of age, online, without need to talk to anyone. Part of their consumer protection BS that comes with the card. I have to agree with others that your CC/Bank should have your back.

I have to agree, deal with your CC and find a better CC. My Citi card lets me dispute charges regardless of age, online, without need to talk to anyone. Part of their consumer protection BS that comes with the card. I have to agree with others that your CC/Bank should have your back.
This. I had a problem with an online vendor, called Chase, they got on the phone with the company (while I was in with them) and basically told them "reverse the charges or we will". Amex is the same way. BOA? Not so much, even worse if it's a debit card tied to a checking account.

The first BOA customer service guy I spoke to a couple days ago said that sometimes they’ll make exceptions if it’s beyond 60 days old. He told me to fax copies of invoices and email from Coonan. I was in the process of doing that when I received a denial letter from BOA. I called and the CS rep said that it was too late to file a dispute. I told them I heard otherwise from a different rep yesterday. Maybe I need to reach some sort of senior supervisor to get somewhere?

I was reading about a situation on the Toyota 4Runner forum about a group buy of front bumpers and the owner was doing what s lot of dealers do :Took money ahead of time with a promise to deliver in order to finance his business.

He ended up going out of business,Chapter 11,13 or something with a LOT of people hanging having paid over $1k for a bumper,and even more people that bought almost $4k worth of product.

I would have to find the thread, but a Visa guy was on that board and he explained that you can get your money back from Visa over that 60 days.He quoted a bunch of federal laws pertaining to it,and ye seemed legit.

I'll try and find the thread because this practice is constantly being done on firearm and accessories group buys.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pelfrey-informational-thread-one-post-condensed-version.567463/

Pelfreybilt ::: 5th Gen T4R - Dual Swing Out Rear Bumper ::: Pre-Order Now! - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

I stopped participating in group buys due to crap like this.Kitchen table dealers(guns,accessories whatever)financing their business through advanced group buys,pretty sure a great example was even on here with some rifles a while back.I only do group buys if it's in stock and a percentage off.

Last edited:
jeeze, this sucks! wish i could offer some constructive advice. hoping it gets sorted for you soon, been there but not at the level of investment you're in for. good luck on this.

You think Maura will help me get my gun?.....
This sounds like a good plan. From her site: "The Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office is an advocate and resource for the people of Massachusetts in many ways, including protecting consumers, combating fraud and corruption, investigating and prosecuting crime, and protecting the environment, workers, and civil rights."

Please, please, PLEASE invite me to your post-courtroom victory range trip with Maura! Tell her I'll let her shoot one of my weapons of war (but only if we meet in NH--she makes the rules in MA, remember).

Not trying to derail the thread but both Bank of America/Merrill Lynch and Citi are anti 2A. Close your accounts and at least do business with companies that are not openly trying to destroy our rights.

This, ANDREW! We have a ban on BOA. [shocked]

I once had a strong yen for a Coonan...glad it passed.

Seriously, I hope it works out for you.

I called back to BOA and apparently the claim was never denied. They said that they’re awaiting me to send them documents to continue the investigation. So I drove to my local BOA branch as I don’t have a fax machine. They forwarded them to the BOA fraud department so now I play the waiting game I guess.

Not trying to derail the thread but both Bank of America/Merrill Lynch and Citi are anti 2A. Close your accounts and at least do business with companies that are not openly trying to destroy our rights.
Yes I know....That will kill my credit (currently 830) to close the account. I’ve had it for almost 10 years. Only other credit card I have is capitalone. But I’ll see what I can do.

I was reading about a situation on the Toyota 4Runner forum about a group buy of front bumpers and the owner was doing what s lot of dealers do :Took money ahead of time with a promise to deliver in order to finance his business.

He ended up going out of business,Chapter 11,13 or something with a LOT of people hanging having paid over $1k for a bumper,and even more people that bought almost $4k worth of product.

I would have to find the thread, but a Visa guy was on that board and he explained that you can get your money back from Visa over that 60 days.He quoted a bunch of federal laws pertaining to it,and ye seemed legit.

I'll try and find the thread because this practice is constantly being done on firearm and accessories group buys.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pelfrey-informational-thread-one-post-condensed-version.567463/

Pelfreybilt ::: 5th Gen T4R - Dual Swing Out Rear Bumper ::: Pre-Order Now! - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

I stopped participating in group buys due to crap like this.Kitchen table dealers(guns,accessories whatever)financing their business through advanced group buys,pretty sure a great example was even on here with some rifles a while back.I only do group buys if it's in stock and a percentage off.
Thanks for that Greg. When I called BOA they did say they’ll investigate this even though it’s 7 months old.

Really sucks it has come to this. It’s such a fun gun to shoot. Really wanted to get my hands on it[angry]

So I’ve been texting with another customer who’s in the same boat as me. He reached out to Hunter Eliot of Rangehot who has done reviews on YouTube for Coonan.

His response:
The word I got was,
The 10mm was way more popular than anticipated and that has caused problems with the entire line of getting guns machined and assembled. Remember Coonan is a small company with limited manpower as compared to large manufacturers. I know that sucks but I am trying to be straight with you all and what I have heard.

I would not worry at this point though I know it has been way too long to get your gun. Please be patient and I hope to have a better update by Monday or Tuesday.

I will keep you posted,
Hunter

Matt Burkett (CEO of Predator Tactical) got a felony conviction and time in federal stir for taking $50,000 in deposits on custom 1911s and failing to deliver. Perhaps someone should point this out to Dan Coonan.

Matt Burkett (CEO of Predator Tactical) got a felony conviction and time in federal stir for taking $50,000 in deposits on custom 1911s and failing to deliver. Perhaps someone should point this out to Dan Coonan.
Yeah seriously. I understand gun builds can be delayed but I was originally quoted 8-10 weeks with the gun being paid in full upfront.

Check with the BBB or AG's office to see if the business is still valid. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I have had much success in past events with using the state Attorney General's office. Can't hurt!

So I’ve been texting with another customer who’s in the same boat as me. He reached out to Hunter Eliot of Rangehot who has done reviews on YouTube for Coonan.

His response:
The word I got was,
The 10mm was way more popular than anticipated and that has caused problems with the entire line of getting guns machined and assembled. Remember Coonan is a small company with limited manpower as compared to large manufacturers. I know that sucks but I am trying to be straight with you all and what I have heard.

I would not worry at this point though I know it has been way too long to get your gun. Please be patient and I hope to have a better update by Monday or Tuesday.

I will keep you posted,
Hunter

It sounds like they bit off more than they could chew, and instead of doing the right thing (offering a refund, or to put your money against a different model or
something) now they're turtling.

Even if they are of limited capacity there is a better way they could have handled this, namely doing something like taking a deposit or only taking X number of
requests for builds in a year, etc.

Lots of businesses are like "Bweah never turn away customers!" but bad press is 100x worse than turning away a customer because you can't meet their
needs.

-Mike

Check with the BBB or AG's office to see if the business is still valid. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I have had much success in past events with using the state Attorney General's office. Can't hurt!

I checked earlier. BBB still has them rated A+.

As many have said, it's probably a capacity issue, but that's no excuse for not getting back to the customer. I saw some manufacturing numbers earlier; in 2012, Coonan produced about 680 guns. In 2016 IIRC, they produced around 1,850. That appears to be a sizeable increase for a small company.

Coonan Inc. | Better Business Bureau® Profile

I checked earlier. BBB still has them rated A+.

As many have said, it's probably a capacity issue, but that's no excuse for not getting back to the customer. I saw some manufacturing numbers earlier; in 2012, Coonan produced about 680 guns. In 2016 IIRC, they produced around 1,850. That appears to be a sizeable increase for a small company.

Coonan Inc. | Better Business Bureau® Profile

BBB is a scam,you can get whatever rating you want if you donate enough.

I filed a complaint against Iron Mountain some years ago for not getting 2 days pay after I found another job.Iron Mountain sent BB a message back saying they were going to pay me,but they never did.Still had an excellent rating and did nothing for me after my follow up calls.

Back
Top Bottom