• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CONNECTICUT-BASED STAG ARMS ANNOUNCES THEY ARE RELOCATING

Connecticut-based Stag Arms Announces They Are Relocating

After more than 15 years in New Britain Connecticut, AR maker Stag Arms said they are pulling stumps for somewhere with “significant support for the firearms industry.”

The announcement, posted last Friday, said the move is part of the company’s “strategic initiative to significantly improve the overall customer experience.” While the new location has not been selected, Stag says their Board of Directors has “narrowed down the options to a short list of vibrant communities where there is significant support for the firearms industry.”

Local media in Connecticut described the pending move, to be accomplished in coming months, as being out of state.

Stag was founded in May 2003 and has carved out a niche in the gun market with 556/.223-caliber AR-15 and .308/6.5 Creedmoor AR-10 style rifles, parts, builder’s sets, and accessories. More recently, the company has moved into producing AR9 type pistol caliber carbines in the form of the Stag PXC-9, which was announced earlier this year.

According to the latest data from federal regulators, the company manufactured 10,932 rifles in 2017, exporting 324 of them out of the country. This figure makes them the second largest rifle maker in Connecticut, just after West Hartford-based Colt. Of note, Stag produced more rifles than Mossberg’s North Haven, Connecticut facility in the same year.

The shift from Connecticut by Stag is not the only time that a gun industry vendor has shifted states for more friendly digs. In recent years, magazine and accessory maker Magpul has left Colorado for Wyoming and Texas, citing strict new gun control laws as the impetus for their relocation. They were joined in the Cowboy State this year by Weatherby, who left California for similar reasons.
The state government will be proud and use it as a badge of honor. Good for Stag

I like Stag too as far as simple AR stuff, like Colt but without the upcharge. If I wasnt so invested/standardized in Aero M5 Id like to try a Stag 10.

with a fixed stock and
i karma'd my stag pinned stock off here a while back.

when i bought my stag, there was an issue with the hand guard. stag sourced them out but they over-nighted me a replacement as did the hand guard manufacturer. when i called customer service, the company president answered the phone if you can believe it. this was the guy that was disposed a few years later after atf caught them with their pants down over the several completed rifles that had no serial numbers on them. anyway, nice guy, we chatted for 15-20 minutes. seemed to really be tuned in to the customer getting a decent rifle for a reasonable price. also said stag made parts for govt. contracts but i couldn't get him to elaborate.

I would be willing to be that SC is on their list. Hugely gun friendly, tax incentives for firearms companies and the state follows the fed. minimum wage standard. That's what you cal a win win win situation.
And FN is in SC.

First thing I saw when I landed in Columbia and got out of the airplane, a huge FN sign, right at the gate. Loved it.

Wonder what the total of jobs lost and revenue that will add up to.
Guess what liberals , once all the middle class has been run out , you all get to foot the whole bill .

Not nearly enough for CT to care. Just not huge industries. I'm betting when ring companies left Attleboro 30 years ago it was a bigger impact at the time than this is.

Connecticut is a VERY difficult state to do business in, regardless of labor costs.

Tru-dat. And the labor is high. LOL

Stag only built 10,000 rifles?

That seems pretty low.

It's one of a billion AR companies now. Hard to get any traction.

also said stag made parts for govt. contracts but i couldn't get him to elaborate.
Unless my memory fails me, they were a subcontractor of Colt for at least a while, which wouldn't surprise me since they (were) both in CT.

JayMcB you are correct they were the contractor for Colt back around 2011-2012. however Colt got a new CEO that didn't want a local competitor building there rifles so he canceled the contract. It was just one more stupid short sided business decision like many others that has plagued Colt over the years.

Stag was a spin off of Continental Machine (IIRC owners of CM&T son started stag) which was bought up by white wolf capital? No idea who they are.
CM&T makes all sorts of AR parts for many other companies.
Now if CM&T decided to pack up a leave that might have some impact but as long as those with deep pockets keep moving to CT and buying up tbe properties CT.gov will not care about gun manufactures leaving.

JayMcB you are correct they were the contractor for Colt back around 2011-2012. however Colt got a new CEO that didn't want a local competitor building there rifles so he canceled the contract. It was just one more stupid short sided business decision like many others that has plagued Colt over the years.
They also built the early SW ARs

Got this email today. Looks like they found a place and are making some management changes.

Stag’s Board of Directors today announced that Chad Larsen has been appointed Stag’s President effective immediately. The Company also announced that it will be relocating to Cheyenne, WY, by the end of the year. In June, the Company disclosed its decision to move from Stag’s former headquarters in New Britain, CT, and accordingly initiated a national search for a new location.
In making today’s announcement, Elie Azar, Founder and CEO of White Wolf Capital, LLC, which owns a controlling interest in Stag Arms, said: “We decided it was time to do a complete refresh of the Company. We needed to solve for three things: visionary customer-centric leadership, a business-friendly, pro-growth economic environment, and a cultural climate that reflects Stag’s brand image of independence and free spiritedness. I am pleased to report that we have found a solution that hits all these points.”​
To find a new location for the Company, Stag’s Board of Directors conducted a rigorous process comparing dozens of potential sites against a stringent set of criteria. “Cheyenne came out on top on most of the individual criteria,” said Azar, “and considering our requirements as a whole, it was by far the superior site. Not only is Wyoming an incredibly hospitable place to do business, it is also a top destination for outdoor recreation, including hunting and shooting sports, which reflects its citizens’ unwavering support for the Second Amendment.”​

They HATE Connecticut because of the abominable gun laws and uncomfortable business climate. According to the news just now, they will be moving to Wyoming. Anybody out there read "Molon Labe" by Boston T. Party??

They HATE Connecticut because of the abominable gun laws and uncomfortable business climate. According to the news just now, they will be moving to Wyoming. Anybody out there read "Molon Labe" by Boston T. Party??

I agree, but it’s not like they can burn the bridge on their way out. They will still have employees in Connecticut as they wind down operations, will have to work with the state’s divisions of unemployment and taxation agencies, and many more stakeholders.

I agree, but it’s not like they can burn the bridge on their way out. They will still have employees in Connecticut as they wind down operations, will have to work with the state’s divisions of unemployment and taxation agencies, and many more stakeholders.
Not literally, but figuratively they can, right up to and including leaving the place they're vacating a shit pit. Others have done much worse.

Unless my memory fails me, they were a subcontractor of Colt for at least a while, which wouldn't surprise me since they (were) both in CT.
From what I under stand is STAG was a off shoot of CMT in CT.... Basically the son of CMT.
CMT is a large manufacture of AR parts and CMT made a lot of parts for COLT.
Now did STAG contract with colt to build colt ARs? I do know STAG was making SW ARs for a bit until SW set up shop. back then i think CMT was one of the largest manufacture of AR parts. Plus there is 2 large spring manufactures in CT.
With the rise of machine shops jumping in on the manufacturing who knows what is made by who for who these days.
If and when large companies like CMT move out CT might notice. Its pretty clear how the Constitution state feels about guns and 2nd amendment. They will find ways to get other companies in place of the few gun manuf actures left.

Henry HQ is in Bayonne NJ anyways, not NY

It is now, but that wasn't always the case.

From the Henry website:

Henry Repeating Arms was started by Louis Imperato and his son Anthony Imperato in Brooklyn, New York in 1996. The first model produced was the Henry H001 Classic Lever Action .22 and the first shipments were made in March 1997.

My Stag 16" LH AR is one excellent rifle. Sorry to see them leave New England, but F CT.

ETA: now that I think about, it may be 18". Whatever the shortest normal one is that doesn't require special licencing.

Last edited:
One more reason for me to move to Wyoming.

Weatherby built a new all inclusive HQ and manufacturing plant in Sheridan, WY this year. Told CA to F off.

Weatherby built a new all inclusive HQ and manufacturing plant in Sheridan, WY this year. Told CA to F off.

Back
Top Bottom