• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed Knife Carry Help?

Nice! Please let us know how you like it. Kershaw knifes are way under-rated IMHO.

I am certainly happy with mine. I had started to get a Gerber, but the salesman at DSG recommended I check out Kershaw. Same size, features and nominal price, roughly.

Kershaw was made in America; Gerber in China. Case closed.

The knife you carry has very little to do with how much it costs, If it hold an edge and feels good in your hand & pocket (& you can get it out fast enough [smile])Then its a good carry knife. Just like with firearms you must practice with it for it to be useful to you (imho). You can buy a 100-200 or even 1200$ knife if thats what you want/like its your $$. I like to carry a Russ Kommer "Bear claw" or a Kershaw folder,I keep them sharp and they have never failed me they cost is about 40$ each.[wink]

The kershaw tactical blur is a great knife. There are also some great training dvds put out by cold steel and emerson.

The peper spray is also a good idea! Get a good fogger and keep your cardio up.

Not all fixed blade knifes are legal

Fixed blade are legal

Fixed blade knives are absolutely NOT legal to carry in Massachusetts. Check out MGL 269-10(b). Also consider municipal ordinances prohibiting the carrying of knives. Just be careful with what you are carrying. If your knife can be classified as a "dagger" you may be arrested. Just because it is a single edged fixed blade does not mean it is legal in Mass.

hmmmm...
fixed blade knives ARE legal to carry in Mass
dirks, daggers, stilletos,autos, gravity knives are NOT
pretty much any double edged knife will get you in hot water
no length restrictions, but a few city ordinances do however have a length restriction, i know Boston does anyway...
Supermoto is right, not all fixed blades are considered daggers...
but you also have to take in consideration, if your commiting a crime, any knife you have on your person probably is going to be looked at as a dangerous weapon, and used against you...
im not a lawyer, nor do i play one on tv, im just your average Joe, that carries and uses knives everyday legally![grin]
Happy Thanksgiving all!
oh yeah, im using a freaking huge knife i made to carve the turkey![smile]

Fixed blade knives are absolutely NOT legal to carry in Massachusetts. Check out MGL 269-10(b). Also consider municipal ordinances prohibiting the carrying of knives. Just be careful with what you are carrying. If your knife can be classified as a "dagger" you may be arrested. Just because it is a single edged fixed blade does not mean it is legal in Mass.

All this proves is that each LEO and attorney will interpret the laws differently. [rolleyes]

I think that they were written with that intent in mind.

IIRC, back many years ago Chief Ron Glidden told me that he used to show a Bowie Knife (or similar, large fixed-blade knife) at his LE Firearms Seminars and ask the attendees (LEOs) if this was legal. Most responded NO! Then he informed them that MGLs does NOT have a law on length for knives (in general, putting switchblades/automatic knives aside) and they were shocked.

Yes, some cities and towns have ordinances to the contrary, and enforcement and legality on non-residents can be called into question (Boston's Counsel does not believe that their anti-gun ordinances are enforceable against anyone, I would expect the same interpretation on the anti-knife ordnances).

I wear slip on work boots with a folding knife clipped to the inside. I trim the pull up leather straps on the boots a little to help conceal if the pants ride up.

The hardest part is finding a knife that has no sharp edges when closed that would chafe the leg.

I've been carrying a Kershaw Ken Onion Storm series folder for about 4 years now. I use the knife on almost a daily basis for utility, and it will be there for protection if I ever need it. Best knife I've ever pocket carried, as it is a large knife, but very very thin, which allows me to clip it to the inside of my pocket and still be able to put my hands in easily.

I have never seen a pocket knife as large as this, yet as thin as this, and I highly recommend it for daily carry.

I carry a Gerber Applegate-Fairbarn Covert Folder in Black

05786-open_RGB_640x640.jpg

I also, great knife, and is thin so it doesn't feel like a can of soup in your pocket.

Dick's has the Kershaw scallion at 50% off. I believe this would be okay in Boston because the blade is only 2.25".

I also, great knife, and is thin so it doesn't feel like a can of soup in your pocket.

Definitely... I barely know it's there. It's easy to open quick if you put your thumb into it with authority too. I've gotten pretty good at a smooth one-motion pull-open-lock maneuver... not lightning fast by any means but fairly quick... you never know.

My " Uh-Oh " bone tingles when I see the language about " device allowing the blade to be drawn in locked position ... " or whatever it really says.

Doesn't that describe to a T the Wave feature ?

If it IS legal , then buy any nice ( relative to you ) Spyderco , set up for " tip up " carry and attach a zip tie to the thumb hole. Clip excess off at the " knot ."

Ghetto Wave , high speed opener for about a dime.

If your looking for unsupassed value,ultra thin and durable.
The Mercator K55K Kat knife is the best "Bang for Buck"" Hands Down.
The handle is folded carbon steel with a piano wire lock spring. The blade is around 1084 carbon steel, tough and easy to sharpen.
If you shop around you can find them for $20.
They are superior to knifes I've paid 3-4 times a much for.
If you abuse the snot out of them they loosen up, but virtually never break.
I've replaced it twice, only cause I lost them.
(@ $20 to replace Its no bid deal)
All non-stainless makes for toughness.
Made in Germany

http://www.premiumknives.com/ShopSite/Mercator_Knife_K55K_Solingen_Germany_Menu.html

http://www.worldknives.com/products/mercator-german-k55-cat-knife-k55k-1120.html

Thanks everyone! Great information as usual.

I am looking into Krav Maga and ordered this blade.

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1259155869&sr=1-4

Thanks again.

Nice. You'll like it I'm sure. I carry the scallion. The action is addictive. There's 3 or 4 ways to open the knife one handed from different grips. It holds an edge well and it won't hurt too bad if you loose it because they are reasonably priced.

ETA: if it has the sliding blade lock (to prevent opening), my advice is to remove it. I found it can set itself and it is not quick to disable.

Last edited:
i carry a CRKT Greg Lightfoot M-1 Tactical when ever i go out. I'm not sure if they make it anymore, but I've had it for years and it's always served me well.

Back
Top Bottom