• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Concealed Knife Carry Help?

Kershaw Leek. FTW.

+1 on the Kershaw. I have an "Avalanche" and a "Leek." One or both are on or near me at all times.

Avalanche:
Avalanche_K1570ST.jpg

Leek:
kershaw1660st.jpg

what constitutes an "auto"?

how does that differ, if at all, from a spring assist?

the difference, in general, is that an auto requires nothing from the user except actuation of the mechanism, like hitting the button.

spring-assist require the user to manually start the blade opening, usually via the thumbstud or flipper, and once the blade is partway open, the spring takes over.

The Onion SpeedSafe system is spring assist. Microtechs and many Benchmades are autos.

The unfortunate truth is that your knife will not help you when your outlaw assailant draws his pistol. With any luck your local police will arrive in time to collect untainted evidence and who knows, they may eventually find your killer!

Why not just play it safe, go to bed bath and beyond and get yourself a Martha Stewart rolling pin. They're under $25.00 and NOT banned yet even in MA. If you get one right away you will be grandfathered in and won't have to register it either!!

The unfortunate truth is that your knife will not help you when your outlaw assailant draws his pistol. With any luck your local police will arrive in time to collect untainted evidence and who knows, they may eventually find your killer!

The tool is only as good as the user. While most train less with a self defense knife than they do with their self defense gun (which is still close to nill), a knife is still a very dynamic weapon, while a gun is not.

Yes, because:

-every thug in the world is armed with a handgun
-nothing is better than something
-the only thing knives are useful for is cutting up bad guys

Yes, I agree. Pistol vs. Knife = Pistol wins. If had a gun pointed at me I would not go for the knife. However, there are other self defense scenarios where the knife would come in handy. Agree?

A knife could prove useful in trained hands. However, very few people have the skill to fight effectively with a knife and even fewer people have the stomach for it.

A knife could prove useful in trained hands. However, very few people have the skill to fight effectively with a knife and even fewer people have the stomach for it.

Knife training?? Anyone know any classes or dvds? I don't want to learn any kung-fu type crap, just some basic where to stick someone in a situation.

My LTC-A is restricted. I carry a cheap knife in my pocket now, but are there other options? It need to be concealed, but easy to get to. I am not looking to spend a lot of cash either.

Thanks!
I carry a Cold Steel "Voyager" folder, plain edge, clip-point, 4" blade. I removed the pocket clip and carry it pivot-down in my right front trouser pocket. Spyderco and Gerber also offer excellent folders for concealed carry. Go with a 4" blade for the best combination of cutting power and concealability. Forget serrated edges. Much too hard to resharpen. Best bet would be to carry completely concealed, no clip showing. A number of cities in MA have anti-knife ordinances that are arrestable offenses, so the less that is open to plain view, the better.

In Mass. I would carry Pepper spray and use that before stabbing anyone in self defense.Almost every time a knife is used like that,the person is charged with a crime.For some reason,the powers to be believe people who carry knives are bad guys.

Yes, I agree. Pistol vs. Knife = Pistol wins. If had a gun pointed at me I would not go for the knife. However, there are other self defense scenarios where the knife would come in handy. Agree?
Real-life situations happen very quickly. It may start with a couple of punks sizing you up on the street or some a-hole drunk deciding to have a go at you because you accidentally bumped into him in line at a club or restaurant. Because of the close-quarters and maybe even low-light conditions, a pistol could be a disadvantage. If he is within arm's length, he could easily knock the pistol out of your grasp or take it away from you. Since most fights are up-close and nasty, a knife or small impact weapon (sap) are good weapons for self-defense. Col. Jeff Cooper got it right when he noted that you are no more armed because you own/carry a pistol than you are a musician because you own/carry a guitar. Hardened criminals practice gun-disarms in prison to use against the police. They can easily defeat even Level III retention holsters and disarm an officer within a couple of seconds. Firearms have an advantage over edged or impact weapons when there is distance. When the fight is hand-to-hand or goes to the ground, a firearm becomes a liability to its carrier unless such person is very highly trained in weapon retention.

Back
Top Bottom