• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

compliant pistols

Ok going for Ma. out of state permit and am looking at pistols. What exactly does the 2 laws state? I believe there is a consumer Law and a State law. I was told my little keltec 32 is no good, and I was shocked. Looking for a guideline thanks this wesite has been very helpfull Joe

The "MA handgun compliance" dealer BS DOES NOT
dictate what pistols you can legally carry. Mere
"posession" of off list/non-compliant handguns is not an offense.

Your Kel-Tec is just fine to carry in MA, with a nonres LTC-A (w/oi
restrictions or ALP, of course).

The only thing you would not want to bring into MA is a pistol
that is considered a "postban assault weapon" or a post-9/13/94 manufactured
magazine that holds more than 10 rounds of ammo.

-Mike

Well the mayor of Boston (Mumbles) says that Boston is 'perfectly safe'...so leave your guns at home and drive through Blue HIll Ave on your way to the zoo.

I'm moving to New Hampshire

Ok going for Ma. out of state permit and am looking at pistols. What exactly does the 2 laws state? I believe there is a consumer Law and a State law. I was told my little keltec 32 is no good, and I was shocked. Looking for a guideline thanks this wesite has been very helpfull Joe

Not sure what you all mean...

Sounds like you guys are saying that it's ok to buy a gun out of state and bring it back to Mass. Are you saying if you have an out of state license, you can do this?

I must be misunderstanding you because you need an FFL to transfer right?

Sounds like you guys are saying that it's ok to buy a gun out of state and bring it back to Mass. Are you saying if you have an out of state license, you can do this?

Has nothing to do with an out of state license.

Normally one can buy a rifle/shotgun out of their home state, from
an FFL in "wherever". (Then if one is an MA resident, you must
"register" the gun when you bring it back, via an FA-10. ) If a
handgun is involved it must be transferred through an FFL in their
state of residence.

The scenario I mentioned above is really a corner case and doesn't
have anything to do with a "transfer"- eg, the person already owns
the gun but is relocating it.

-Mike

Yes, you are. If you buy a handgun out of state, it has to be transferred to you by a MA FFL - and they are limited by the stupid EOPS list and the A$$hole General's regulations as to what they can transfer to you.

Now, if you LIVE somewhere else, and for some unknown reason you move INTO MA, you can bring anything with you that your little heart desires, except for large capacity magazines made after 9/13/94 and anything that falls under the ugly rifles ban Assault Weapons Ban.

IF you do move in with them, you don't have to register them on an FA-10 while you're waiting for your LTC to come through. If you leave them in the other state until you have your LTC and only bring them in later, you DO have to register them. No, it doesn't make any sense to me, either.

Oh, yeah... one other thing. If you know that you're going to move into MA and want to make some money, buy as many non-MA compliant pistols as you can - I recommned H&K, third-generation GLOCKs, or NAA Minis - and sell them off once you get into MA and get your LTC. These all go for a premium here in MA since they can't be transferred through a dealer... but a private subject citizen can sell up to four guns a year on his/er LTC.

Everybody go back are re-read the original post. The person is going for a Massachusetts non-resident permit, which would seem to indicate to me that he lives in another state. As such, he can't buy anything here in Massachusetts, license or not, meaning that neither the EOPS list nor the AG regulations affect him in the slightest. Simply purchasing a firearm in your home state and bringing it with you to Massachusetts on a valid non-resident LTC doesn't involved any sort of transfer, inter-state or other, so there's no need to concern oneself with FFLs. The straightforward, simple answer is for him to purchase whatever he likes at home, then feel free to carry it here on his non-resident LTC. The only thing he needs to remember is not to bring any new large-capacity magazines with him.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom