• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comm2A - Lawsuit filed against Everett Police Chief

Or a State deny within 40 days

I would think random denials for the sake of meeting the 40days would only cause more lawsuits, at least for those of us with squeaky clean records and nothing to substantiate a denial except because they can and 40days is up.

Maybe Comm2A would lke to tip off the Herald about this. A little free publicity goes a long way. Howie might like to know too.

i hear what you're saying....but i factored in the contrarian nature of a lot of his posts while reading that.....mho is that we will get the best bang for our buck by pooling resources. we have already witnessed how (un)successfully the individual battles have played out in courtrooms across mass. if it costs a little more to increase our chances of winning then i am all for it. thanks.

This is a good point. Also, bad lawsuits can do harm to the cause. Best to have some smart people thinking about a bunch of possible cases strategically and finding the best plaintiff.

Just became a Bronze member. $120 is a lot better than $75 per year, thats for sure.

Wish I could do a little more. Maybe next year.

This is a good point. Also, bad lawsuits can do harm to the cause. Best to have some smart people thinking about a bunch of possible cases strategically and finding the best plaintiff.

You will note that we didn't target a PD issuing within days of the limit.

That flew 20 ft above your head. He was ssuggesting a possible cost savings to a group he recognizes as important.

Same goal, same effect, less money sort of thing. But getting the name behind the punisher will strike fear for effect. I just hope its good for us.

Well, there's also the "doing it correctly so it doesn't **** something else up" thing. Which Comm2A knows about very well. Random lawyer off the street is not going to care about that, only what the client wants, and unless the client is into legal stewardship (for lack of a better term) that means his lawyer might seek the most expedient solution, which is not necessarily the best for MA gun owners as a whole. With Comm2A doing its thing, we don't have to worry about them creating a case that could potentially create a trap or bad precedent/case law.

-Mike

Been hearing about this coming for a long time now and It's great to see it finally happening. As an Everett resident and someone who has waited six months now I look forward to this city having to answer for their misgivings.

Just increased my monthly donation thru the end of 2013.

I suggest that all setup monthly donations rather than just a single (even if larger) donation. Comm2A needs to have a known "income stream" to keep this up.

^^^COMM2A would appreciate this. They have said that a steady stream of regular donations allows them to plan/budget their resources rather than constantly making individual appeals.

Unlike our state and Federal governments, they can't overspend and then raise taxes to cover it. [smile]

ETA: I also changed my monthly donation from PayPal to a direct electronic payment from my bank. No CC fees being taken from the donation. It's not much, but it gives COMM2A a few more pennies each month. I had to pay Paypal anyway so I eliminated the middleman.

Last edited:
You will note that we didn't target a PD issuing within days of the limit.

Yup, you went after the low hanging fruit! [smile]

Nothing like going after the "Rip Van Winkle" of PDs! [rofl]

That chief is going to regret giving his prior quote (about sending out lots of apologies) to the media! He's going to have the opportunity in court to eat his words, one at a time, each one dipped in Habanero sauce!

Great work Comm2A!! Keep it up!

That chief is going to regret giving his prior quote (about sending out lots of apologies) to the media! He's going to have the opportunity in court to eat his words, one at a time, each one dipped in Habanero sauce!

Lens,

You know I can't wait. What they have been doing to citizens of this city is horrible. I will be keeping my ear to the ongoings of this case.

I can't thank comm2a and attorney Guida enough for all they have done and continue to do. Its great knowing that there are still people that believe in standing up for what's right.

Andre

Didn't that news report about LTCs in MA a few months ago say that Everett was the only town in the state that the # of permits went down?

Hourly rate isn't the only factor in how much litigation will cost. The number of hours it takes to accomplish a given task is the other side of the equation. I'm sure Everett's first excuse is going to be blaming the delay on the state. Guida is uniquely qualified to slap down that argument.

I just picked up a renewal app for my husband and asked about the time to process. I was told there was a problem with the state computers for a while and they are backed up still because of it so it would 'take a little longer than usual.' However, my town has always been green and I think any delay will likely NOT be on their side. I will keep everyone updated as to how it goes. Since our licensing person works 8-4 Monday to Friday and my husband is taking Christmas week off he will hopefully get his submitted then. He will be filling it out tonigt. I will drop it off tomorrow and request an appointment for him for next week for photo and prints.

My point being that our donations to Comm2A made it possible for a "regular Joe" to afford someone with the unique qualifications to tackle this case.

And my issue is that a regular joe can't afford someone with the unique qualifications to handle his case.

And he shouldn't have to. I'm curious what the plaintiff is looking for. His LTC? Money? Didn't Comm2a say they may not be able to recoup legal fees? Is he looking to get the Chief fired?

Bottom line to me is "how if this case going to help and is the ROI worth it/has a more efficient route been pursued."

Whatever, go for it. I don't have cash to donate anyway. And I don't live in MA.

And my issue is that a regular joe can't afford someone with the unique qualifications to handle his case.

And he shouldn't have to. I'm curious what the plaintiff is looking for. His LTC? Money? Didn't Comm2a say they may not be able to recoup legal fees? Is he looking to get the Chief fired?

Bottom line to me is "how if this case going to help and is the ROI worth it/has a more efficient route been pursued."

Whatever, go for it. I don't have cash to donate anyway. And I don't live in MA.

Apparently you can't see the forest for the trees. Suits like this will force other chiefs to reconsider their practices and policies. A win for everyone. Why can't you see that.[thinking]

This morning while checking my email I noticed an email from Comm2A. It contained a summary of a situation regarding an individual from the city of Everett who applied for his LTC and has yet to receive an answer. Once again Comm2A has stepped in and has taken on the case and it is scheduled for a court hearing. If you have not donated to Comm2A please do it now. This organization gets results, actually fights for us!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU Comm2a staff.

The plaintiff is looking to get his LTC in a timely manner. Comm2A is looking for the court to force a chief to get his act together and handle licensing in a timely manner. The fact that a regular joe can't afford to fight these things is exactly why Comm2A is funding the suit. If this goes as planned and the court forces the Everett PD to respect the 40 day limit, guess what happens then. Any regular Joe who's being jerked around can call up his chief and say, "Look, the last guy who pulled this crap got his ass handed to him in court. Maybe you should issue my license before I have to sue you."

The plaintiff is looking to get his LTC in a timely manner. Comm2A is looking for the court to force a chief to get his act together and handle licensing in a timely manner. The fact that a regular joe can't afford to fight these things is exactly why Comm2A is funding the suit. If this goes as planned and the court forces the Everett PD to respect the 40 day limit, guess what happens then. Any regular Joe who's being jerked around can call up his chief and say, "Look, the last guy who pulled this crap got his ass handed to him in court. Maybe you should issue my license before I have to sue you."

Its about time. I would pray that this is carried to fruition, and not 'settled' in some manner.

I know at least two other people besides the plaintiff who have applications "in process" past the 40 limit in Everett right now.

"Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly." -MLK

- - - Updated - - -

dose anyone think it will speed up process in other towns

Certainly can't hurt. (Assuming the good guys prevail of course.)

Billsail:2737989 said:

Apparently you can't see the forest for the trees. Suits like this will force other chiefs to reconsider their practices and policies. A win for everyone. Why can't you see that.[thinking]
trolls have poor eye sight?
he said he won't donate and has no dog in the fight, so why the **** is he crapping up this thread?

dose anyone think it will speed up process in other towns

Yes, that's the point. Comm2A is playing the long game here. Everett was the first target because they're the most egregious violator. Just be aware that courts don't move at anything close to internet speed. I don't know how fast the state courts move, but it's probably going to take at least months if not a year to get this decided.

trolls have poor eye sight?
he said he won't donate and has no dog in the fight, so why the **** is he crapping up this thread?

It's a valid question. For what it's worth, everyone I've ever met who says "I'm not anti-gun" is very much so.

If, during the time it takes for this suit to move forward, Everett issues the plantiff a LTC, will the court decide not to hear the case and just drop it? This suit needs to run the full course in order to succeed, IMO. Am I right or wrong here?

Everything you want to know can be answered by clicking on this link.
The original shortcut to the working link is found in Post # 1 of this thread.
http://comm2a.org/news

Back
Top Bottom