• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Comm2A - Lawsuit filed against Everett Police Chief

I'm wondering how the MCOPA will react to this?

Awhile back, they sent out a memo to all their members requesting that they try to refrain from the monkey business WRT LTC's so as not to have a case like this brought before the court.

If, during the time it takes for this suit to move forward, Everett issues the plantiff a LTC, will the court decide not to hear the case and just drop it? This suit needs to run the full course in order to succeed, IMO. Am I right or wrong here?

If I'm not mistaken, the suit involves "lost wages" because of a denied promotion.

No, that was Andre that claims he lost a possible wage increase of $17,000 not the plaintiff, IIRC.

You recall correctly...

Many people have been harmed financially by the Police Department's refusal to comply with the law. Mr. Andre Galdo for example applied for his LTC so he could be a candidate for a promotion where he works. The promotion came with a $17,000 pay increase, but he could not apply because the Everett Police took over a year to issue his license. Again, despite the law requiring them to do so within 40 days.

Awhile back, they sent out a memo to all their members requesting that they try to refrain from the monkey business WRT LTC's so as not to have a case like this brought before the court.

Not all chiefs are members, but if the CoP in Everett is, he must have missed the memo. [thinking]

i have to admit, i really never knew how screwed up our state was until i applied for a LTC. my eyes have been opened after all these years and it is sad that MA is not a part of free America.

Comm2A posted on facebook that typically they will post the complaint after it's filed, but want to check with the attorney first. If/when that's posted, we'll have a better idea what relief it's asking for.

If, during the time it takes for this suit to move forward, Everett issues the plantiff a LTC, will the court decide not to hear the case and just drop it? This suit needs to run the full course in order to succeed, IMO. Am I right or wrong here?

Not entirely correct... [grin]

Comm2A posted on facebook that typically they will post the complaint after it's filed, but want to check with the attorney first. If/when that's posted, we'll have a better idea what relief it's asking for.

Keep in mind this is an administrative hearing. The relief is definitely for his LTC to be issued. That does not mean it's the end game in this case.

Keep in mind this is an administrative hearing. The relief is definitely for his LTC to be issued. That does not mean it's the end game in this case.

What's the typical timeline for this type of admin hearing?

I'm looking forward to this MA state court procedure class in my online gun forum school of law. [wink]

What's the typical timeline for this type of admin hearing?

I'm looking forward to this MA state court procedure class in my online gun forum school of law. [wink]

With the holiday, some time in Jan most likely. Could be february. All court dependent.

This is terrific work, and I support it.

My only concern, and not in Comm2A's control, is that they're dealing with the MA court system. Logic, rule of law, and MA courts do not go well together in the same sentence.

Best of luck to all involved!

This group http://massmajorcitychiefs.com/organization.html that he is the current president of will certainly take notice;

This was written by the previous president. It has not been updated in a while.
About Us

It is my pleasure to welcome you to the Massachusetts Major City Chiefs' website. We are a group of police chiefs who have come together because of problems and issues that are common to all of us. Our membership is made up of Chiefs of Police, Commissioners or Superintendents of Police from a municipal subdivision of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the State Police, and Transit Police in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. We service a population of no less than 40,000 persons and/or an authorized strength of at least 75 sworn officers. Furthermore, each member must possess a minimum requirement of a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university. Members who meet the foregoing requirements are voting members. We also have a number of associate, non-voting members representing the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security, the Office of the Attorney General of Massachusetts, several academic representatives and other ranking police officers from various Departments who do not meet the criteria as voting members. Today, we have thirty-two full time members and are growing as the population is shifting across the state.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steven-a-mazzie/30/496/3b8

He writes:

Steven A Mazzie's Organizations
Massachusetts Major City Chiefs

President
January 2011 to Present

Professional executive law enforcement organization working to provide leadership within and advance the policing profession in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Last edited:
Looks to me like you guys in Mass may get things moving.

Years ago I lived in Mass and had an unrestricted LTC. Never much of a problem or hassle but it was 30 years ago and in a small town. I now live in NH and a license is fast, easy and cheap. [ 14 days max by law and $10.00.]

One question I do have for you guys in Mass, What the heck are they checking on your background there that takes so long? I know when NH issues my license they check my background and it takes a few days. I would think the history check would be the same.

Looks to me like you guys in Mass may get things moving.

Years ago I lived in Mass and had an unrestricted LTC. Never much of a problem or hassle but it was 30 years ago and in a small town. I now live in NH and a license is fast, easy and cheap. [ 14 days max by law and $10.00.]

One question I do have for you guys in Mass, What the heck are they checking on your background there that takes so long? I know when NH issues my license they check my background and it takes a few days. I would think the history check would be the same.

They are checking to see if your anal cavity has any irregularities so they can adjust for any future "intrusions". [hmmm]

Would it be a dumb Idea to give the local media a heads up on this topic to add fuel to the fire?
Just asking?
If you have contacts in the local media, have at it.

Both the Herald and the Globe had advance knowledge of the lawsuit and the Herald even knew about it before the ran with their story. Channel 5 was also not interested even though they ran a story on the surge in LTC and noted that Everett was NOT among the towns seeing an increase.

They don't care. When Channel 5 did their story it wasn't the facts they cared about. They had an opportunity to mention a lot of town names. That gets viewers. People will stay up to see if their town in mentioned.

I support what Comm2a is doing here, even though the waste of tax dollars on the case will suck. But a private lawyer could do this, and probably not take as much from one client as Comm2a will spend since it all comes from you guys.

If you are suggesting that the legal fee has been increased by Attorney Guida simply because Comm2A is involved, I would respectfully suggest that such innuendo is unwarranted. (And I should know since I sign the checks).

I will not comment on the case other than to say the counsel Comm2A has retained has treated us fairly, honestly and ethically.

If you have contacts in the local media, have at it.

Both the Herald and the Globe had advance knowledge of the lawsuit and the Herald even knew about it before the ran with their story. Channel 5 was also not interested even though they ran a story on the surge in LTC and noted that Everett was NOT among the towns seeing an increase.

They don't care. When Channel 5 did their story it wasn't the facts they cared about. They had an opportunity to mention a lot of town names. That gets viewers. People will stay up to see if their town in mentioned.

Yeah, even Fox25 (kinda, sorta, maybe, but I'm not sure, on our side), was supposed to air an interview with Jim Wallace, and they shelved it. At least I didn't see it.

If you are suggesting that the legal fee has been increased by Attorney Guida simply because Comm2A is involved, I would respectfully suggest that such innuendo is unwarranted. (And I should know since I sign the checks).

I will not comment on the case other than to say the counsel Comm2A has retained has treated us fairly, honestly and ethically.

Rob, you always do this, and I respect your desire to protect the innocent, but sometimes it's appropriate to identify the poster being quoted.

END.OF.STORY!

I support what Comm2a is doing here, even though the waste of tax dollars on the case will suck. But a private lawyer could do this, and probably not take as much from one client as Comm2a will spend since it all comes from you guys.
While this action is on behalf of a single individual, that is not our purpose in bringing it. We could easily expend all our resources hiring lawyers to chase their tails around the district courts on behalf of individuals without ever changing anything.

Our intent here is, and always has been, to engage in purposeful and strategic litigation designed to move the needle for everyone. This case is not about a single aggrieved individual, or even a single chief who refuses to follow the law. It's part of a plan to fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom