• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Collapsable stock?

Hey everyone,

Looking to do some upgrades on my wasr. I know that I cant buy an "assault rifle" now with a collapsable stock but is it ok by the law for me to buy it online and put one on myself?

According to the AG its an assault weapon with without the stock, but the letter of the law says you can't have more than x evil features.

What's your risk tolerance look like?

According to the AG its an assault weapon with without the stock, but the letter of the law says you can't have more than x evil features.

What's your risk tolerance look like?
Definitely want everything to be legal and unconfiscatable. I bought the wasr before the 2016 law and its all stock with no accessories. All these laws are so confusing (probably intentional) so im not sure what accessories im allowed to add since I bought it in 2014

Definitely want everything to be legal and unconfiscatable. I bought the wasr before the 2016 law and its all stock with no accessories. All these laws are so confusing (probably intentional) so im not sure what accessories im allowed to add since I bought it in 2014

Your WASR is not a preban. So it can't violate the MA AWB.

End of story.

Damn that really sucks. Is a simple adjustable stock a no go like the collapsable? The wooden stock that came with it blows

The stock stock (lol) has a poor LOP, but it's constructed just like tens of thousands of other AK stocks that have given good service for decades. I had a chunk of walnut in my basement, so I just made my own because I dislike laminate, enjoy woodworking, and wanted the right length.

What is your issue with the stock? There may be a few good options.

Damn that really sucks. Is a simple adjustable stock a no go like the collapsable? The wooden stock that came with it blows
No go. You can put on whatever stock you like and pin it in place. It will then be non-adjustable so will meet nonsense criteria for MA but may be more comfortable than the one you don't like.

ETA: I have no issues with the OEM stock on mine. What is the issue with it?

In my opinion, the AK platform is better with a fixed stock anyway. Magpul makes a few really good ones if you're into the polymer/tactical look. For a wood stock, there are tons of aftermarket options out there.

The stock stock (lol) has a poor LOP, but it's constructed just like tens of thousands of other AK stocks that have given good service for decades. I had a chunk of walnut in my basement, so I just made my own because I dislike laminate, enjoy woodworking, and wanted the right length.

What is your issue with the stock? There may be a few good options.
Just pretty uncomfortable at the range after a few hundred rounds compared to other rifles ive shot. I do like the look of the wood though so maybe ill look into some type of rubber bumper or something

Bear in mind that there is no "2016 law". Jack.

Depending on the folding stock for a Mini14. You have to pin it, put (drill + tap) in a set-screw with red Loctite, or fix it in place with high temperature solder and or spot welding.

The Ruger factory folding and Samson folding stocks can have the folding mechanism shimmed (glue the shim in place for compliance) and pinned from the inside with the factory retention pins already part of the mechanism to disable the ability for the stock to fold.

In any case the stock can't telescope or be folded without taking the entire thing apart or it's a no no for post 1994 mfg receivers in MA.

In my opinion, the AK platform is better with a fixed stock anyway. Magpul makes a few really good ones if you're into the polymer/tactical look. For a wood stock, there are tons of aftermarket options out there.

Most folding AK stocks suck, but the one that is on the arsenals is kinda nice, I think it even locks closed etc, and it feels normal instead of feeling like a piece of coat hanger or rebar....

Two things, ignoring Mass law:

(1) There's a ton of fixed stocks out there for AKs with longer lengths of pull. I hate Warsaw Pact stocks because I have long, lanky arms, so I don't even consider WP-legnth stocks. Google is your friend.

(2) If you want optics, look for a fixed stock with a higher comb, like an OPAP stock (conceptually, it won't fit on a WASR likely).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone,

Looking to do some upgrades on my wasr. I know that I cant buy an "assault rifle" now with a collapsable stock but is it ok by the law for me to buy it online and put one on myself?

Magpul and BCM stocks are the easiest to make uncollapsible without having to drill through anything.

For Magpul, you punch out the roll pin that holds the springs for the adjustment latch, remove spring, replace with 3/4 post with similar diameter, punch rollpin back in.

The BCM MOD-0, I believe unscrew the bolt that is located in the rubber stock pad, remove the adjustment latch, flip over the polymer piece that is hooked by the metal coil spring, replace latch, tighten the bolt back up.

Magpul and BCM stocks are the easiest to make uncollapsible without having to drill through anything.

For Magpul, you punch out the roll pin that holds the springs for the adjustment latch, remove spring, replace with 3/4 post with similar diameter, punch rollpin back in.

The BCM MOD-0, I believe unscrew the bolt that is located in the rubber stock pad, remove the adjustment latch, flip over the polymer piece that is hooked by the metal coil spring, replace latch, tighten the bolt back up.
Thanks man, appreciate the info

In Massachusetts we can't have collapsible stocks but our rights ARE collapsible. Can we ban collapsible rights and just have fixed rights that don't change at someone's whim?

Buy an adjustable. Set to preferred length. Pin or otherwise modify it so the length can’t change.
When I lived in MA I did that and pinned it with rolled up tin foil, I always had extra foil in my bag in case I needed an adjustment. I'm not saying to do this cuz MA sucks. But true story

Back
Top Bottom